RFA ARGUS to Deploy to Sierra Leone

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Porty, Oct 9, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Yeah, it was on BBC news and their website this morning. Anti-piracy patrols off east Africa, narcotic patrols/humanitarian work in the Caribbean now more humanitarian work off west Africa; the RFA certainly know how to step up to the plate. All the best of good luck to them.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. think I'd rather face the Pirates than Ebola lol
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

The pirates work for ISIS and are infected with Ebola. Triple whammy.

Digging the thread title. It's a little ambiguous.
  4. Actually, all joking aside, that would be a devastating tactic if a terrorist infected with ebola deliberately tried to spread it in a Western country.

Sort of like a suicide biological weapon!

Of course, it is spread through bodily fluid, so they would have to go on a kissing rampage or something...

Operation Gritrock
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  5. Seadog

RFA ARGUS is majoring on Sky news. Loading up in Falmouth. No interviews with the CO yet, it looks as if the news hounds are not allowed past the main gate.
  6. This Ebola is scary stuff especially when u see how quick it can spread and that 95% of people who contract it dies.
    I just hope that everyone who is getting sent over there have a safe trip.
  7. Seadog

8. As the planet is massively overpopulated we need a good pandemic to wipe out a couple of billion.
  9. Can we start with Westminster?
  10. It's that what AIDS and being a Man Utd supporter was supposed to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  11. Seadog

Serious thread now. Some of you have been here long enough to know the drill.
  12. I know that Argus is deploying in support of ground forces but it strikes me that a "floating hospital", 10 miles offshore would make a cracking good isolation unit with little or no risk of extended contamination.

A bit rough on the boys and girls on board but, with the correct gear and drills it is hoped that they would be adequately protected.
  13. Just a tad rough as the hospital parts of the ship are not even water tight let alone air tight from the living compartments in the superstructure of the ship. Ok Ebola is spread through fluid transmition at the moment, but I don't think it'd take much for it to evolve into an airbourne disease.
  14. Seadog

I thought you were a Jack Dusty NM, not a virologist.

And you confuse in words if not meaning the hospital with the PCRF. Two different things.
  15. I may be a Jack Dusty, but having read the news of late it seems many people who are learned in this area are stating that it's not impossible for it to evolve in such a way.

Sorry, of course I was referring to the PCRF when I said hospital and not what the RFA call a hospital and what we call a sickbay, sorry for any confusion, but even when I was part of the Argus' company in 10/11 I referred (incorrectly I might add), along with everyone else, to the PCRF as the hospital and the hospital as the sickbay.
  16. Seadog

Even the sick bay is not the hospital. The hospital is a mini ward by the starboard aft 1 deck access, near the sick bay but not the sick bay. But yes, colloquially everyone refers to the PCRF as the hospital.

If experts are saying Ebola may go airborne ( cue Para jokes) then fair enough but you might have given the experts credit.
  17. In which case I'll blame all RFA I've worked with for not speaking Jackspeak and using different terms to us matelots, thus confusing us.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1