RFA Argus joins bicentennial celebrations in USA

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Saluting guns? On an RFA? ....

We WON the war of 1812. The US was bankrupted by the activities of the RN and had to come grovelling for a peace. As usual the US prefers myth to history.

A

angrydoc

I think it's a bit sad that we send RFAs to do ceremonial things now. I'm not knocking the RFA - I spend most of my seatime in ARGUS - but ceremony is not an RFA core skill...!

Seadog

War Hero
Saluting guns are no more out of place on an RFA than a detachment of Royal or a Merlin Flight. It isn't the RFA flying the thing, not yet.

As for ceremony, I seem to recall the RFA centenary drills went well as did the Queen's Colour presentation and the annual Festival of Remembrence / cenotaph detachment are never too shabby.

Last edited:

Seadog

War Hero
Having read the MoD blurb and having tasted the (ought to be) Michelin starred food of CPO Rowberry and knowing his subsequent reputation, I'd say the RFA's contributions to the celebrations were more important than some big bangs and tick tocking in ill fitting uniforms.

Good fun for all though. The sort of 'naval brotherhood' stories that gives me a glow.

Last edited:

wet_blobby

War Hero
I think it's a bit sad that we send RFAs to do ceremonial things now. I'm not knocking the RFA - I spend most of my seatime in ARGUS - but ceremony is not an RFA core skill...!
Ceremony isn't exactly Jacks forte either, he's not normally the spangliest star on parade. Shame the Yanks will presumably re-enact the surrender on a RFA instead of a RN Warship.