RFA Apprenticeships

Discussion in 'RFA' started by The old scopie, Jan 12, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All,

I heard that the RFA will be recruiting for the apprenticeships soon and I am aware that the pay is less but does anyone on the site know anymore detail on what you get as an apprentice ie leave, training, deployments etc.

Of course I am kicking myself that I looked on the recruitment site just after the close date last summer, but still keen to join as a CR2

The old Scopie
  2. I am due to be starting the CR2 apprenticeship in April

Pay - £14,648

Leave - 7 days leave for every 28 spent at sea

Course is 2 years long
  3. Cheers Goose,

I thought that the new apprenticeships don't start until Aug and all before go under the old system ?
  4. As far as I know the last recruitment on the old structure started January 2015.

I am due to start as CR2 on new apprenticeship scheme in April 2015. Of course that date may change. Apparently one of the other roles due to start in April 2015 is now starting July 2015. So I wouldn't be surprised to hear of a change.
  5. Hi Goose,

I spoke to RFA Recruitment in Jago Rd earlier this week and they said the advert for apprentices will be out anytime from next week onwards. They told me that the training is still the same as now ie 4 months and Collingwood, then to sea and back to Collingwood to complete. I was told that the intake will be for Aug/Sept this year, which would mean the first part of the course would finish sometime in Dec and knowing the MoD, ever quick to save money, I bet those of us who get through wouldn't deploy on ship until 2016, or am I being cynical :)
  6. Hi All,

Just to let you know I put my application in for Apprentice Comms Rating last night, so its fingers crossed from now on.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Good luck :)
  8. Cheers Emma

Hope I can get in as I've a couple of ex crab mates, who I trained when they joined us in light blue, who are already in the RFA and I'm looking forward to joining them.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Is it true that under the apprentice scheme you are not guaranteed a position on completion of the course ?
  10. It is true. But that is the same with most other apprenticeships.
  11. :mad: Hi all, I have been turned down for a comms apprentice position due to previous RN experience. Something for ex matelots to bear in mind. Rang up for clarification and was told they are looking more for young lads/ladies with zero expereince who will have no pre conceived idea about what things should be like etc
    And becasue it is a common question on here I asked about the offer of employment on completion of an apprenticeship ans she said it is not guaranteed
  12. Sorry to hear that you have been turned down Gib.

To be fair they have been very clear that a permanent offer of employment is not guaranteed upon completion of the apprenticeship.
  13. This must be a new thing, we currently have 8 ex RN and 1 ex pongo on a course of 16, with and age range from 16-58.
    Might be worth ringing again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Gib chap: comms, did 22 years, been outside a dog watch .

You stoker, did 3 years, been outside 15.

I sense that there are other differences but those will do for starters.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Ex chief stoker of 22 years on the course. He left RN 4 years ago!

16. Seadog

So not comms then?
  17. Never said it, just giving my opinion based on what I see everyday during training

18. So, Seadog, there is hope for an ex crab who spent 9 years looking at Russian Bears on radar and speaking to you Navy types on good old HF X-tell during JMC's and left the light blue some 20 odd years ago !
  19. Seadog

There may be. You're not ex RN and you've been out of the RAF a long time. More of a civvy then, whichever way you look at it.
  20. Well that is encouraging, especially from you. I suppose I don't have any "bad" RN habits to get out of, and yes I have been a civvie for a long time but I can still iron a mean crease and bull a toecap to perfection.