RFA apprenticeship questions...

Hi :), I am applying for the RFA seaman apprenticeship and after scanning through everyones threads on this forum it seems the competition is extremely fierce.

Does anybody have a rough idea of the ratio of applicants to successful candidates?

Also which apprenticeship role usually attracts the least amount of applications, I ask this as I am interested in a couple of roles.

And finally, does anybody have a rough idea about the job prospects after the training? Are the majority given permanent jobs? or is it a complete gamble?

any information is appreciated, thank you.

Seadog

War Hero
Unless an apprentice is a social hand grenade, an admin nightmare or is so dim he or she has to be retrained after a smoko ( stand easy) a job will be offered on completion of the apprenticeship.

Other factors may come into play but to quote Aristotle, concentrate on what you can change.

I am not a recruiter.

5oclockhero

Lantern Swinger
Hi :), I am applying for the RFA seaman apprenticeship and after scanning through everyones threads on this forum it seems the competition is extremely fierce.

Does anybody have a rough idea of the ratio of applicants to successful candidates?

Also which apprenticeship role usually attracts the least amount of applications, I ask this as I am interested in a couple of roles.

And finally, does anybody have a rough idea about the job prospects after the training? Are the majority given permanent jobs? or is it a complete gamble?

any information is appreciated, thank you.
I can only advise on my experience of joining the RFA.
There will be 6/8 candidates interviewed per place on the course. Each course will have 8/12 places and, depending on which branch, there will be 2/3 courses per year.
The recruitment process is a very long one. It took me 8 months from date of application to date of joining, it can take longer. If you fail at any point, don’t give up, many have succeeded on their second or third attempt.
As I say, from my own experience, application numbers for Steward and Chef are considerably lower than Seaman.
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M RFA 4
Z RFA 5
Shipscat79 RFA 3