RFA application / testing

Cleggy00

I sat my test, found it really difficult not so confident however i am hoping for the best how long did it take you guys till you got your scores

JW74

Midshipman
I wouldn't worry too much. I felt the same after my test, mainly about the maths section. I had my test on the Wednesday, and got a letter on the Saturday to say I had passed. No idea what the score was, the letter doesn't say.

Cleggy00

I struggled with the maths section too even though you got added time, how you been given a date for your interview yet?

JW74

Midshipman
Not yet. Need to find out if I got through the sift first. Fingers crossed though

Last edited:

Cleggy00

Sadly i failed my test which i believe was due to lack of preparation and with some work and improvement i think i could pass so i was wondering is 1 year the minimum wait to retake the test or would i be applicable to resit in 6 months like some others?

Canoe

Badgeman
From reading through this thread, there would appear to be a 'sift' before the actual proper 'sift.' (which RFA recruitment said would be in June.) IE - you can pass the RT, but not score highly enough overall or in specific sections and your application won't even progress to the pre-interview SIFT.

Did anyone that has passed/failed get a breakdown of their scores?

I've booked in for the RT test early next month, as I'm away for a month shortly following it.

My revision is sitting practice tests under the same time constraints as the real test. Consistently scoring 90/100% in the Verbal Ability and Reasoning Sections, 65/75% in the Mechanical Comprehension and Maths sections. Obviously, I know where to focus my revision!

On the Maths, a lot of threads on here talk about swotting up on your long division and multiplication. Just over 30 seconds seems like a fairly short time to do these calculations?

Prop1910

Midshipman
From reading through this thread, there would appear to be a 'sift' before the actual proper 'sift.' (which RFA recruitment said would be in June.) IE - you can pass the RT, but not score highly enough overall or in specific sections and your application won't even progress to the pre-interview SIFT.

Did anyone that has passed/failed get a breakdown of their scores?

I've booked in for the RT test early next month, as I'm away for a month shortly following it.

My revision is sitting practice tests under the same time constraints as the real test. Consistently scoring 90/100% in the Verbal Ability and Reasoning Sections, 65/75% in the Mechanical Comprehension and Maths sections. Obviously, I know where to focus my revision!

On the Maths, a lot of threads on here talk about swotting up on your long division and multiplication. Just over 30 seconds seems like a fairly short time to do these calculations?
I don't think you're ever supposed to know your score. I've always understood it to be a pass/fail test.

Canoe

Badgeman
I don't think you're ever supposed to know your score. I've always understood it to be a pass/fail test.
I thought so too, but I've been chatting to a MM2 who's recently finished his apprenticeship. The impression I get from him - he may be wrong, not being a recruiter - is that the RT scores are looked at during the sift stage. I.e, all other things being equal, if I score 95/120 and you score 115/120, you're getting invited for interview over me.

This post (getting a rejection so quickly after having sat the RT)
I at my test last Thursday in Southampton.
Got my results this morning. Passed the tests, but not selected due to excessive applications for the role.
Makes me think that they've got an automatic 'Passed, but didn't score highly enough, don't bother putting him forward to the sift stage' system in place?

Canoe

Badgeman
All academic, I suppose. It doesn't change my plans of hitting the books and absolutely smashing the RT.

I've applied for SG2 apprentice like the poster I quoted, which is apparently pretty over-subscribed. I do wonder though that if I received a similar knockback (receiving a 'thanks but no thanks' with the RT pass results), would I be able to apply/change my application to a slightly less popular branch for the current round of recruitment?

Prop1910

Midshipman
Makes me think that they've got an automatic 'Passed, but didn't score highly enough, don't bother putting him forward to the sift stage' system in place?
So presumably does it then depend on how many places are available in the particular branch you have applied for?
I seem to keep hearing of a "manning crisis" in the RFA, and the Naval Service as a whole.
I have applied for Deck Officer Cadet, and have my AIB in June. After taking my RT, I didn't really hear much about it again.
I suppose AIB is the "ultimate" recruitment test.....?!

Canoe

Badgeman
I definitely would think it has something to do with how many applicants they have for each branch. First thing the lady said to me when I rang the recruitment line and said 'seaman apprentice' is 'Lots of competition.'

Having read up on AIB back in the mists of time, I don't envy you!

On the subject of Deck Officer Cadetship - I've stumbled across a couple blogs. If you haven't seen them, I can try and remember what Google search brought them up. There was some good info.

Prop1910

Midshipman
On the subject of Deck Officer Cadetship - I've stumbled across a couple blogs. If you haven't seen them, I can try and remember what Google search brought them up. There was some good info.
Wow Canoe, I'd be very grateful!!
Any assistance very welcome...!!!
I'm quite looking forward to it actually, but I think as it gets closer, the nerves will kick in.
I am glad of the opportunity though.

Canoe

Badgeman
Letter this morning - I've achieved the required standard for the RFA in the recruit test and my application is through to the paper sift.

Seaman Apprentice sift is in June apparently. A long wait!

JW74

Midshipman
Well done mate. I'm at the same stage as you I guess the - I got through to the sift. I sat my RT in March, so presumably i'll be in the same sift as you, in June? That is a long wait! How did you find out it was in June?

Canoe

Badgeman
Well done mate. I'm at the same stage as you I guess the - I got through to the sift. I sat my RT in March, so presumably i'll be in the same sift as you, in June? That is a long wait! How did you find out it was in June?
Spoke to the lady at RFA recruitment a week or two back. Sift in June, interviews to follow for a start date in March.

I think there's only one or two sifts for Seaman Apprentice in a year - so I imagine we'll be in the same one.

I'm trying to be realistic and not get my hopes up too much, because she also said 'very popular/lots of competition' when I said Seaman Apprentice. I'm confident I've done everything I can do at this stage... so if I'm not successful in getting an interview, it will be because of something outside of my control.

Be good if we can share information. I almost feel like the RFA is a front for MI6/GCHQ... if you manage to ferret out enough information about the job to get the job, you'd probably do pretty good investigating foreign agencies. :)