Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

RFA Anti-Depresants

Hello all,

I am currently waiting for an update on my application for the RFA for Steward, for the ENG1 what do they look at in regards to mental health?

I am on anti-depressants 20mg and have been for over a year and am in the process of coming off them. I am on a stable dosage, not had any relapses or side effects during this time, will this affect my application to join?

Hello all,

I am currently waiting for an update on my application for the RFA for Steward, for the ENG1 what do they look at in regards to mental health?

I am on anti-depressants 20mg and have been for over a year and am in the process of coming off them. I am on a stable dosage, not had any relapses or side effects during this time, will this affect my application to join?
ENG1's are very case by case, the baseline is that the Dr has to be satisfied you are fit for sea. The rules they follow can be found here:

Mental Health is ADG 6, found on Page 134. and the decision tree they will likely follow is on page 140.

Thank you for your response, I have looked at the link you attached and I am a little confused by it all.

Is there a number that I would be able to contact and discuss with someone?

Honestly, your ENG1 Dr, go for the assessment, talk to them, most of them are happy to discuss issues over the phone, but probably will have wanted to assess you first!

Edit: you can go ahead and have an ENG1 before the RFA asks, you just cannot claim the cost without them requesting it. To find a Dr look on the list here (it gets updated regularly):

So, if you're taking anti-depressants, it might raise some questions. But don't worry too much - everyone's situation is unique! As long as you're stable and haven't had any relapses or side effects, it shouldn't necessarily affect your application. Of course, it's always best to double-check with the RFA directly to get an accurate answer. By the way, have you seen Lifestyle to the Max online magazine? They have some pretty cool articles on all sorts of topics.

Last edited:

Latest Threads