Rewarding Reservists. Nothing for Regulars....Again!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by northern-matelot, Mar 26, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 1
  1. How is it "cheapened in value and worth"?

2. It was never worth much even in the old days when £25 came with it.
    Now the £25 quid has gone is it worth the cost of having it mounted?

3. By scrapping the "good conduct" part of the medal. Before a person had to have a spotless record to earn the LSCG Medal after 15 years of service. Now with the replacement LS Medal, you can get in the shit for the first 10 years of your career and still get this as long as you keep your nose clean for the 5 years running up to it doing your 15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. I might have got one then... lol

5. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 1
  6. wave_dodger

Really, it came with £25? When was that?

7. wave_dodger

So, herein is why I see this as positive. In my previous command I had a technical SR (RAF) who was in his youth, shall we say of a firey disposition. He made a small error of judgement and consequently did not recieve the LS&GC even after a very fruitful and deserving career. The new system allows people to mature and recover from honest errors of judgement. Lets be realistic at a minimum of 26 people should be capable of behaving - whereas 16-17 years old.........

After 10 years service I'd hope most people know right from wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  8. It's less of the officers being allowed to earn it more the dropping of the "Good Conduct" part that's annoyed me. Ok an officer couldn't earn the medal, unless they'd been a JR prio, as it was expected that as an officer they should always have good conduct and if they were issued them originally and you had an old officer without one it would have shown as a mark on that officer. I'm not fussed about officers getting them it's the whole some guy is a dick for the first 10 years of his life, goes the glass house and as long as he's a good boy for 5 years up to his 15 he can still get the medal that's getting me.

I'd like to hope so too, but I know some won't / prefer to play the Undetected Crimes Game and such. Many people I know who have. Peedoo are proud of it and deservedly so, I would have been too as I'm on year 10 now but seems I won't get a LSGC anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  9. wave_dodger

I can see why you're unhappy, I get that but I think there is much to be said for recognising the basic service of all who join up and I whilst I wouldn't have supported the creation of the LS or the demise of the LS&GC, now it's here it's more positive than negative (despite the cost of having it mounted - meh!).

We both know in all walks of life there are people who play the game. Medals won't change them but I really do think that now there is the ability to reward someone who stopped playing silly buggers its good.

I really didn't get the reference to peedoo?

10. wave_dodger

Paedo tsk tsk! I now realise I have reached that age, I'm correcting spelling and grammar - bum.

11. In the olden days, seemingly it was a gift from Dame Agnes Weston and was when it was introduced sufficient for a deposit on a house. When I got mine it was sufficient to pay for a few beers in the mess (Early 1980s)

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. They'd binned the dosh when I got mine, would've gone towards the barrel I put on.

In a fit of pique, when I got the clasp 15 years later I never put a barrel on, that showed 'em!!!

• Like Like x 2
  13. wave_dodger

Why? Should we have police officer, fireman, nurses, teachers, radiographers all with post nominals?

I understand the intent and sentiment but I just think it would just devalue the point of post-nominals, getting the LS is one step to recognising service, do we need more?

14. wave_dodger

Wonder if they have bars/claps for the LS? it's starting to sound like an admin nightmare, 2016 will be painful for MoD Medal Office.

15. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

It would be a more effective rant if you'd got the post nom correct - its 'VR' not 'RV'.

Its not about rewarding regulars over reservists, its two entirely different issues announced at the same time. The VR is a pet issue of Ministers (not military) who wanted to see something like the old 'TD' or other award brought back as a post nominal (used to be awarded until 1999).

Secondly, you only get it if you've done 10 years service, its not handed out like candy on day one. Given historic retention rates, the numbers of people who will qualify for it are quite small overall.

The medal is totally different and meets the need identified in a recent report (Levene?) to recognise long service without going down the road of an NDM. Essentially do 15 years and you get a medal for all ranks - simples.

Why no post nom for regs - probably because the view was that there is a very substantial compensation package for regulars and its also their full time job. Reservists do this as an additional commitment on top of their normal job, hence recognition for the extra commitment -I suspect its also a tacit acknowledgement that much of what reservists do they do on their own time and never get paid for etc - it just gets done.

16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Marvellous.

As a holder of the LS&GC and the VRSM, (but not a reservist), I'll have to change the post nominal from VD to VR on my business cards. :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

The logic on the 'good conduct' is that its actually a bit dated now. Under the new employment structures, if you are a biff, then you'll have been quietly gotten rid of before that point (e.g. 12 year point). The system should only be keeping those at 15 years that it wants to keep. Therefore the assumptions that if you're still going at 15 years, you've managed to avoid sufficient naughtiness that would have seen you kicked out.

Add to this a growing realisation that its not fair to penalise someone in their mid 30s for a moment of madness in their late teens.

• Like Like x 1