return of service

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by alchef, Sep 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone tell me what the current return of service is for an RN helicopter pilot, from what part of training it is owed and when it one would start to begin to serve it?

Thanks!

2. I think its 12 years, not sure whether that includes trianing or not though. Look on the navy website mate.

3. Whats the problem with you guys? You seem to want to get out before you have even got in. :pukel:
    If you are only joining to learn to fly a helicopter you are denying a place to someone who wants to join the RN to fly long term.

4. Slim I only asked that q just in case I got in and found out I really didnt fancy it for a long term career! Im sure if I jion the mob Ill like it enough to stay for the whole hog.

5. Your career's office should have told you what your return of service is.

If you have yet to join ask them, if you have you joined already contact your UPO.

6. ROS for Aircrew

Begins upon completion of Operational
    Flying Training and runs for 6 years for
    both rotary and fixed wing training.

Taken from BR8373 - Officers' Career Regulations (not sure if it's they up-to-date one, but it won't be far out).

7. I think the return of service is about 4 yrs, but your Commision will be for 12 years?

8. Tartan Sailor is correct in that the ROS is 6yrs from completion of OCU (approx. 3.5-4.5 years after joining for current pilots under training).
    Timex is slightly less right in that the initial commission that everyone joins with is 12yrs.
    When you factor in the training time, you're looking at about 10yrs anyway.
    You are committed to the 6yr return from the day before your OCU starts (even though it doesn't start until the end of OCU).
    These may be slightly different for people joining now. I joined almost 3 yrs ago but I didn't get these details until BRNC, so good luck getting anything meaningful before then.
    Good luck to anyone applying.
    It is not worth joining just to get a licence, you have to work under huge amounts of pressure and anyone who can get through all the hoops, pass the courses and commit to a life in the military is alright by me.
    Yours Aye

Goldensky
    P.S Out of interest, what return of service did Slim serve under?

9. Goldensky
    I joined in the sixties. In those dark and distant days we had no return of service. You signed the dotted line before kit was issued and your life belonged to the RN for 9 years plus 3 years reserve time. There was no discharge by purchase but it was possible to get out by standing for parliament. Having paid your £100 deposit as it was then you were discharged, allowed to stand and even if you lost did not return to the RN. Suppose it was a type of discharge by purchase. The wages in those distant days were paid fortnightly and an AB received about £16.00
    So you can imagine not many matelots had £100.

10. Thanks all!

11. So essentially not much has changed. I'm pretty sure that on leaving current pilots transfer to one of the reserve lists still.
    I've heard of the idea people buying themselves out, but not of anyone who has done it (perhaps not at my stage anyway). I'd expect it to cost more that 3 months pay though, but as I said I have no idea.
    I think that Slim's original post was meant partly in jest and I can see his point about commitment, but I certainly wanted to know exactly what I was getting into before I signed on. Oh wait, I've never actually signed anything remotely like a contract!
    I think that it's reasonable for the RN to be able to discharge during training (even the up to the 5yrs for pilots) but also if people decide that it's not for them during that time, they should be able to leave (as is currently the case). You wouldn't want someone who found that they were uncomfortable flying near the ground(!) to be your pilot would you? even if they were good enough technically.
    Yours Aye
    GSky

12. Many of my posys are partly in jest.
    However the RN is not alone in asking for a return of service. several years ago I worked for an organisation which had spent a considerable sum on training two of the staff as Network engineers (this was in the early days of networking when these engineers were in short supply). They had to sign contracts to the effect that should they leave the company within three years they would repay the cost of their courses.