Return of service questions

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by hello_there, Dec 5, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok, I understand that you must do at least the first 4 weeks, then up until the first 6 months you can give 2 weeks notice to leave. Its after the first 6 month that Im a little unsure of. Ive heard from some sources that it is 2.5 years, but others that it is 3.5 years.

Also is the return of service from the point when you finish basic training OR from the point when you finish professional training? I understand 12 month notice must be given at this stage, correct?

Another thing some sources say initial length of service will be 12 years yet others say 18 years?

2. You can claim discharge after 4 weeks service, up to your 6 month point, or 18th birthday, by giving 14 days notice.

After the 6 month point you're committed to serving for another 2.5 years before you can submit notice to leave. Then your Return of Service kicks in, which is another 12 months you must serve, after giving in your notice.

You're then liable for recall up to 6 years after your leaving date.

Initial career is 12 years, I read this is extendable to 20 years after promotion, not sure if this is promotion to Leading Hand or higher? Maybe someone else knows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Ok thank you. Its just that I read somewhere that the 2.5 years kicks in after phase 2, not during?

4. I'll have to pass on that one as I was led to believe that each job has slightly different Phase 2 duration

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Correct. If you do not wrap before week 27 after joining, you must complete your Standard Initial Training Period (SITP) which varies between branches, then a Return of Service (30 months for most, 36 months for Student Nurses) before eligible to submit 12 months notice to quit.

The initial contract length is 12 years, extending to 20 years if you pass selection for leading rate before your 12th year.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thinking about leaving before even joining o_O

7. Good job I'm not trying to leave, I'd have a right shock

8. Ninja_Stoker

To be fair to those joining, they do need to know their terms & conditions of service & will be asked about it at interview. It is important those joining are aware of minimum timescales.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Are you sure it is complete your return of service, then 12 months notice? I'm pretty sure it's RoS including your notice period.

10. It does.

11. Isn't week 27 mid-way through Phase 2? Or is it 27 weeks excluding the 10 weeks at Raleigh? - sorry for seeming pedantic!!

12. Ninja_Stoker

You can opt out for 26 weeks, counted from the day you commence training at HMS Raleigh. Where it falls is dependent on what branch you join.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ninja_Stoker

For Ratings, the minimum time to serve (MTS) = SITP + RoS, then + 12 months notice period.

SITP's by branch are listed here: (BR3 Chapter 7, article 0759) http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/~/media/royal navy responsive/documents/reference library/br 3/Br3book/ch07.pdf

The RoS criteria is outlined here (BR3 Chapter 53, article 5302, paragraph B)

14. The things you learn.

15. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, the reason AFCOs have to ask applicants and give them a drop copy of their attestation form (s3049) is basically because when they want out, disaffected individuals will swear blind their AFCO never told them they would serve a minimum of 4 or more years.

Selective amnesia is a common occurrence. Tiffs used to be the worst because they had a 48 month SITP and would always try to blag their way out after becoming qualified, without completing the 42 month RoS.

• Like Like x 1