Retry for the navy

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Gazza82, Sep 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello
    I applied for the RN about 2 years ago and passed everything even had a start date for april last year. But due to medical circumstances I had to cancel and was gutted at the time though the careers office said to reaply when I am cleared.
    Now everything is fine have been cleared for a while now and just wanted to ask anyone on here if they knew if I can reaply and would I have to do the process all over again also as I had applied for the army AAC in the last year would that affect me trying to join the RN? (Didnt work out for the army as they are apparently overmanned in the air corps)

Hope to see lots of replies. ;)

Thanks Gareth :)

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmm, did this not occur to you yesterday when you could've contacted your local AFCO for the definitive answer, rather than get the anticipated sarcastic ones on this "unofficial" RN-related site?! :shock:

Good luck, anyway... :?

3. I did think of it yes.
    But as I have married now I wanted to discuss my feelings about joining again with my wife before contacting the AFCO. Though she's basically kicking my arse to rejoin as she knows its what I've always wanted to do which is good to know.
    And as its weekend and I'm impatient I thought I'd ask in here before calling on monday to see if I can get any answers. Sarcastic or not all answers welcome ;) lol

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

So, what you're in effect saying is that you applied for the Navy, gained a place, then withdrew through no fault of your own.

After that you tried for the Army, failed, now want to try again for the Navy?

You will need to undergo the Recruiting Test if three years expire between initially taking it & actually joining. The RN selection interview will need to be repeated, the medical will need to passed, the PJFT re-taken if originally taken over 12 months ago, the Security Clearance will need to be renewed if over 12 months have elapsed.

Other than that, nothing needs repeating, but be aware that like the Army, branches that were once undermanned in the Navy are similarly full & have much longer waiting periods than previously.

Best of luck,

5. Had to withdraw from the RN as I had medical problems which are now cleared.
    I am aware that waiting lists could be longer and I dont mind waiting but a friend of mine who joined thinking he was going as AAC in the army got a date then they put him in the RLC on berret day 1 week 1 which is actually being told to do a different job to what you applied for.
    Like I said I do not mind waiting for a position to come available.

Thank you Ninja for the advice

6. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, the same rules apply in the Navy. Whilst you cannot change branches once you join, we can change your branch or job if we wish, subject to the needs of the service. Doesn't happen often, but you could become a submariner even if you don't want to.

For example when I joined, I joined as a mechanic - couldn't be an electrician because I'm colour-blind. Three years later, I'm an electrician too.

There have been Air Engineering Technicians in Afghanistan working as drivers for the Royal Marines & ET(ME)'s working as Vehicle Maintainers likewise. My first shore draft was to a pig farm in HMS Collingwood (mercifully cancelled).

7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmm, I thought BRNC was in Dartmouth... 8O :wink:

8. Though if you've trained for example as AET then they make you drive with the RM will you be transfered back to your initial job?

As I knew they put you where needed and dont mind that. but they told him there are AAC positions and put him elsewhere which was bending the truth. They should have been straight and told him theres no AAC places would you like to wait or go to your second job choice. Which they never did.

9. Ninja_Stoker

You can be drafted "out of preference" but will eventually rejoin your specified trade, unless sent on boats & re-trained.

Bear in mind there's always two sides to all stories. Yes the Army can get it wrong, but the Navy can & does also. Perfect, we ain't.

The fact is that the Army Air Corps can afford to take the pick of the crop - if your mate underachieved, then maybe he was offered the choice of leaving or an alternative trade. Same thing happens with failing technicians in the RN- they're offered a shortage category non-technical or less technical trade if there are vacancies, or the option to leave.

10. Thanks for your help Ninja

Well guess my next step is contacting my careers office on monday.
    And start the fun and games travelling to wrexham again lol
    Though it will be worth it at the end of the day. :D

11. A word of advice with regards to being passed medically fit: Don't bank on it. You're only passed fit when determined by the RN Medical Board.

I have choice words about the boards I was repeatedly stuck with, but I shall refrain from saying too much as I could wander into libel territory. If you really want to join up that much, be prepared to fight tooth, nail and claw to get in. If you want something that badly, they'll eventually cede to you.

If it sounds like bull, it's not. I have a lot of documentation which is dated from my initial application in 2001 until I actually entered service in 2008. I can say with some degree of certainty that I am one of the most heavily tested personnel entering the Armed Forces. I never knew you had to have eyesight as good as a pilot to be a writer! :S

12. Ninja_Stoker

You need to be VA3 for logistics & VA1 for Aircrew.

Well done on eventually meeting the medical standard for entry, one hopes it was worth all the determination.

Fighting tooth & nail only works if the individual eventually meets the required standard unfortunately - for some this may take several years, but we don't lower the standard because someone feels hard done by.