Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by Manny, Mar 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In the AFPR report this year it reported that 70% of the TA fail to get to the 3 year point (which I assume is means that 70% leave before they get to the trained strength).

Therefore the numbers published about the TA in round numbers, means that at least 70% are under training. I think the number for the RNR is lower.

The AFPR report also stated that the TA did not consider the value of the bounty was significant contributor to rentention.

So questions for everyone out there, who is in the RNR or recently left.

Is bounty useful for rentention?
    What does/did keep you in the RNR?
    What could the RN do, to retain you in the RNR?
  2. from AFPRB

4.19 Serious manning shortfalls existed across the Reserve Forces at 1 May 2006: Royal NavyReserves (RNR) had a 23 per cent shortfall; Royal Marine Reserves (RMR) 26 per cent;Territorial Army (TA) 11 per cent; and Royal Auxiliary Air Force (RAuxAF) 40 per cent.

more importantly how long can any of the reserve forces last with such a loss of manpower?
  3. Bounty is very useful, however if you dont stay in long enough to reap the full bounty (4 or 5 yrs) then you probably wouldnt miss it.

The people and the experiences it offers you which you wouldnt get in civvy street.

Sort my bloody pay out!

I think that alot of new entries see the recruitment presentation and it entices them in. Despite being told that it will be at lest a couple of years before they can get to sea they still hope and pray for the full experience and get a little fed up the longer it takes.

I think if they arranged more weekends for the new entries to attend within their first few months then this would encourage them to persivere. They hear about all the fun that the time served matlots have on weekends and deployments and they want to join in and experience them too.
    Help them see the bigger picture that we keep telling them about and they will stay. Also get them through the entry process quicker. It takes too bloody long!
  4. I have argued before that bounty is not necessarily the most important thing, it has to be the experience. You can do many exciting things that civvies can't and get paid for them, which is fantastic. Retention fails when, as Trehorn points out, it takes too long to get trained up or get to branch, or advanced once in branch. Not sure how this can improve given the current spate of cancellations and reduction in training budget... If there was anyway of taking NEs on a weekend at sea then this would also help

IMHO I would love to see more stuff done in unit: we have a river but no fit for purpose boats, a bloody great cruiser nearby that could be used for SPO training and decent presentation rooms. Seems a waste to me!
  5. We dont have the equipment and until recently we lacked the leadership. We now have a PO who isvery keen to get things moving and hopefully our training from here on should improve. We have no river, boats etc etc but hopefully things are starting to move forward.

I'm not saying they're planning on moving the Leeds/Liverpool canal to pass round our way, or even give us one of them redundant T42's up Farham creek but with a keen instructor in front of you its a hell of alot easier.
  6. Bounty is useful for retention - just take it away and watch morale plummet!
  7. Having read many of the posts on the RNR and avoided posting so far here is my twopence worth.

My time in the RNR was the early sixties and retention was not a problem, neither was recruiting. Perhaps my experience shows why this was the case then.

I joined at 16 as a JME and left at 18.5 to go to the RN. In that time I had been given a steady course of training at drill nights, spent many weekends working on the sweeper doing maintenance and thus getting practical traning, had been to see for weekends several times, and done 2 2 week cruises to Gibraltar.

Now it would appear that in the time I spent in the RNR most new recruits will probably not get to sea at all, many seem to have difficulty getting weekend training and even drill night training seems sporadic. There seems to be an element of lack of purpose in every thing with many expressing uncertainty of what their role is and what value they are to the RN.

Now my perception of todays reality may be wrong, and in fact I hope some one can tell me I am wrong, but perhaps the way ahead is one one hand to get new recruits to sea much earlier, to ensure branch stuctures are well known and understood and that training is regular meaningfull and available. Yes the days of having a divisional warship the size of a CMS are over but surely there is a need for a wider availability of tenders for the RNR and for people to get to sea in general.
  8. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Maxi_77, I think your retirment from the RN is a sad loss - with perception as clear as this, there's a 1* job at West Battery waiting for you!!!!!
  9. Unfortunately you are spot on with your observations.
  10. I'd rather you had said I was wrong, but as I am now well past the retirement age for even 1* I think you will have tolok elsewhere for a saviour, mind you if they were say to offer me a 2 year contract with a nice fat gratuity at the end I might be prepared to consider.
  11. By the sound of things perhaps the RNR should merge with the MVS! With the MVS when I was in it, following the disbandment of the RNXS, I spent more time at sea in 12 months than I had ever done in my entire 3 years with the RNXS (admittedly as a trainee Comms Rating). Not RN vessels of course, but yachting to learn basic seamanship and living together, team work etc., and weekend and week long training trips with the Marine Society (as adults, though we were treated like teenagers!!!). That was how I managed, through not securing a jet spray properly to the fire hose, to lose a heavy lump of brass in the drink off Ramsgate! :oops: (It was the plop sound on splash-down that made me feel so dejected!)
  12. I totally agree with maxi 77. Yet this simple appreciation is not readily apparent to our lords and masters, or perhaps it is and they are not prepared to admit it. Where are the leaders who will stand up for the RNR?
    Previously the sea was a great leveller and sorted the men/ladies from the boy/girls. Has this been replaced by spin and power point wars? In this modern RNR has the needs of the few gained greater credance than the needs of the many? Does the system re inforce selfishness and self promotion over team work and responsibility?
  13. I really want to agree with you but you joined a different RNR with a different purpose to the RNR of today. I joined as an RO2T 24 years ago and went to sea on a "Ton" within 2 weeks of getting my F-Ident and then went to sea for 8 weekends and a fortnight every year unless I was on a qualifying course. But then the whole of the RNR revolved around the sweeper - it was why the RNR existed. Since their Lordships decided that minesweeping was no longer required, they, and the RNR, have struggled to find a role.

The truth is that there is no sea-going role for the RNR and the recruitment must admit this and change the recruiting material to reflect the fact (unless they are going to give us some hunters). RNRs who built up good skills on sweepers can get to sea but there is no real point to it - no skipper in his right mind would accept me as his Yeoman rather than a RN PO(C) if the ship was deploying on ops, would he?

To my mind, the way forward is to admit that the only sea-time is the Gosport ferry, identify meaningful roles, plan and deliver training for those roles which doesn't change every 5 minutes and then wait for those of us who dream about the great times we had on sweepers to quietly fade away.

End of rant.
  14. By Jove he's got it! Give that man a cigar - AND A COMMISSION!
  15. Oh yes the F Ident 177 was a wonder to percieve especially in the days before photo copying.

Yes in the old days MS/MCM 10 was a very big part of the RNR, but not the be all and end all. Most of us had wartime posts outside MS 10 in my day, my draft was to Tiffy school, many others were to the reserve fleet.

I agree that much of this is no longer appropriate but there is an obvious need for a clear role and purpose, we all had one back then and were happy and enjoyed it, it would appear that this is lacking today.
  16. I think the public would find it hard to believe that the Royal Navy cannot provide the RNR with something that small countries around the world provide for their reserve navy without a second thought.

Ships my dear boys, ships!

We have gawd knows how many sweepers (six i think) laid up down in pompy and , if you believe the hype, they will soon be joined by another couple. Yet the powers that be will not give a couple to the RNR.

Yes i realise that they need people trained to crew and service them but this is achievable. Tow would be enough, based somewhere like Liverpool to allow easier access for all.
  17. Mmmm, I've given up smoking and already have the very nice bit of paper signed by Queenie
  18. Back in the ld days the Tons had a very small RN crew of shipkeepers, the seagoing crew came from the division.

I think the need today would be met with something like the current customs cutter, or at least something of that general type and size. This would allow 'real' seamnship, engineering, comms etc training at sea, whilst requiring a minimal permanent crew perhaps not even RN but civilian (everything needs to be on the cheap these days). You probably actually need about 4 stationed so that they can get at least two together for training purposes occasionally
  19. I reckon the government should start up a new Border Patrol and give the RNR new boats and let us patrol the coastal waters around the UK. A bit like we used to do on the sweepers but this time dredging up the would be illegals and drug dealers. Bit like the US coastguard. After all, we all joined to do sea time. Just a thought.
  20. I don't want to rain on your parade but you and Fleet are asking different questions.

You are asking "HOW can I get to sea?"

Fleet is asking "WHY do you need to go to sea?"