Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Retention - what is going wrong?

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
I was very struck last night at the small size of one of the largest RNR units turnout for a ceremonial divisions. A few years ago such a unit would have seen well over 200 people on parade (I should know, as I was one of them), but this year, barely 100 people mustered - 25% of whom were new entry, and many of whom were very old salts who had been there forever and are rapidly coming close to retirement age.

What worries me is that this unit has been recruiting like mad for years, and yet this doesnt seem to be turning into trained bodies. I spoke to a few people who commented that they had been in for 4-5 years, yet they were the last survivors of their new entry classes. So why are we losing all these people?

I know we keep banging on about recruitment, but is anyone else more than a bit worried that we now don't seem to be able to retain most people for more than 4 years - where is everyone going, and what can we do to stop this decline? If we're not careful we may lose our critical mass in the next few years and cease to be viable.

I was very struck last night at the small size of one of the largest RNR units turnout for a ceremonial divisions. A few years ago such a unit would have seen well over 200 people on parade (I should know, as I was one of them), but this year, barely 100 people mustered - 25% of whom were new entry, and many of whom were very old salts who had been there forever and are rapidly coming close to retirement age.

What worries me is that this unit has been recruiting like mad for years, and yet this doesnt seem to be turning into trained bodies. I spoke to a few people who commented that they had been in for 4-5 years, yet they were the last survivors of their new entry classes. So why are we losing all these people?

I know we keep banging on about recruitment, but is anyone else more than a bit worried that we now don't seem to be able to retain most people for more than 4 years - where is everyone going, and what can we do to stop this decline? If we're not careful we may lose our critical mass in the next few years and cease to be viable.

I suspect it is because a lot of people are deployed now or onFTRS

The increased tempo must have something to do with it. I'll try to stay vague to maintain a semblance of security; two years ago my division was in double figures. Approximately 60-70% have been mobilised over that period, and I find that attendance at unit drops both in the run up to mobilisation and also upon return, presumably as people get their lives in order.

Based on my own division, mobilisation also seems to increase the probability of subsequently leaving after that mobilisation period. I couldn't say whether this is common across the RNR, but there are people of my division who were in for years and years, did a mobilisation, and upon return either left formally or reduced attendance so far that they might as well have left, and are now either off the books or are on the books simply awaiting the periodic sweep-out of non-attenders (barring a couple who have made it clear that they want to stay, but they're not going to be in for quite some time, either through a formal leave request or just a periodic keeping-in-touch phone call).

Also, I think we've now hit that demographic bulge that we've been warned about for years. In the last couple of years, my branch has suddenly started losing the old and bold in noticeable numbers; generally LtCdrs and senior rates who are simply reaching the RN's upper age limits.

Of my previously double-digit division, there are now two regular attenders; the rest are either mobilised, pre-mobilisation, post-mobilisation or just plain gone.The branch has a recruitment freeze, so I can only hope that some other unit has a lot of fresh JRs in the branch.

Last edited:
Fairly new to the RNR, but I saw similar issues in the early 1990s with the TA. Back then, my unit had a serious manpower crunch. Recruitment wasn't a problem in that we could get people in to join: but several effects meant that surprisingly few stayed for more than 2-3 years.

One was operational: this was a point where, instead of being a Cold War drinking club, parts of the TA (this was a REME unit) were being called on to support ops in Bosnia. This was very good in some ways, but there was the same tendency that Uncle Albert describes: many deployees went out, did a good job, came back, and handed in their kit with a "been there, done that" approach (or family/employer pressure of "you've had your fun, you're not doing that again").

Another was that, with a tight focus on pushing people through the training pipeline towards deployment and steady budget cuts, much of the fun had gone out of being a reservist. In the late 1980s, if you were reasonably switched-on and keen, you'd get the chance to go on range weekends, or play OPFOR or CIVPOP in exercises, or otherwise get exposed to more of the military and do something interesting outside your core tasking. After Options for Change bit, those opportunities dried up: you joined, you qualified, you deployed, and that was essentially it. Didn't seem to hit recruitment, but it was a factor in retention (including mine).

A third point, linked to budgets again, was that the sheer embuggerance of getting anything done got worse, especially if you didn't fit seamlessly into the standard training / qualification pipeline. Courses and assessments that were declared as essential to progress, were booked solid for months or years ahead - or there was no funding available for these "optional extras". If you got on them at all, it was on a last-minute cancellation: I had less than 24 hours' notice to attend my commissioning board, never received my joining instructions, and had to guess at what kit & clothing to bring: luckily, I knew where Chilwell was from past experience...

How many of those apply to the RNR today? I'm probably too new & green to say with confidence...

Historically, my perception of the RNR, apart from the ex-regulars, was that they had a fairly high turnover of personnel, with the average person only joining for around 3 years before leaving.

Possibly, in light of defence reviews. the RNR perhaps relies too much on good will? The withdrawal of travelling expenses etc., will certainly take it's toll if people have to pay out of their own pocket to earn a quarter of a day's pay per drill night.

The RMR unlike the RNR, are quite happy to allow recruits to join in the knowledge they may aspire to later join the regular service as they are more likely to succeed, perhaps after completinfg education etc - The RNR for their part actually bar candidates from joining - even if they have a 4 year wait to join the regular RN.

The words reap & sow spring to mind.

The RMR unlike the RNR, are quite happy to allow recruits to join in the knowledge they may aspire to later join the regular service as they are more likely to succeed, perhaps after completinfg education etc - The RNR for their part actually bar candidates from joining - even if they have a 4 year wait to join the regular RN.

I can understand the thinking, though. RMR training is RM training; same tests, same required standard to complete, doing the same job (obviously RM has more experience etc., but you get the point). RNR branches have much, much less crossover with the RN, so a great deal of the training undergone in the RNR would be of little use once they go RN, and given that it can take three or four years to get someone in the RNR to deployable status, it's something of a waste of resources to take on people who will be leaving and going RN within that timeframe.

Too high? Too low? Too much of it? Not enough of it? Too much done in unit? Too much done at Rn establishments? Too little in units? Too little at RN establishments? Not enough exposure to RN? Too much exposure to RN? Too much on joint exercises? Too little on joint exercises? Should be more focussed on niche? Should have broader cross-branch experience? Something else? All of this?

The truth is that the recruitment media looks great, new entry is all high speed "exciting " stuff.
Then branch and ..............................is this it?
Advancement is another bugbear, talk about dead mens shoes! the RNR keeps its dead!

Too high? Too low? Too much of it? Not enough of it? Too much done in unit? Too much done at Rn establishments? Too little in units? Too little at RN establishments? Not enough exposure to RN? Too much exposure to RN? Too much on joint exercises? Too little on joint exercises? Should be more focussed on niche? Should have broader cross-branch experience? Something else? All of this?

......Or they've finally decided that they don't like the 'new' uniform either, UA?:wink:

Maybe after people have completed their training, they realise that being in the RNR is shockingly ****?

Nail-Head. Transfer to TA just through, the reasons I could list, but why? I didnt even get offered an exit interview. I dont think I'll be the last to go either, theres just one left from my NE class and he's ready to jack it because its "baws". Have pitched up at the TA unit twice now and its a vast difference, in attitudes to training and even their attitude about being a reserve. The biggest problem I see from my NE unit is we have joined the "Navy" yet do the square root of **** all nautical to keep the interest up.

Latest Threads