Retd Koninklijke Marine Officer Looking to stay in Pompey

Discussion in 'Social & Reunions' started by Bad CO, Jul 7, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just in by email. Are there any options open to this retired officer?

I'm ex Army so can't help other than to point out that Salisbury Plain is about 5o miles up the road!

2. If he's an ex-Marine, he probably needs to be working the RM/RNLM links a bit more. Mess accommodation in Pompey is very tight at the best of times. Failing that, perhaps a call to the Corps Col's Office in WI might start the ball rolling.

There's a decent number of hotels in Pompey that'd fit the job just as well, and for significantly less hassle!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. I can't help personally, but a visit (or maybe even an overnight stay) to the Wardroom in Southwick Park would be the perfect start to their visit given the historical significance of the place.

4. Isn't the Koninklijke Marine, their Navy ..... which includes the amphibious infantry element.

5. Pass - always known them as the RNLN!

6. Koninklijke Marine is Dutch for Royal Navy so yes.

7. Concur!!! The RNLN Cdr who I currently work for has a badge saying that says Koninklijke Marine on his uniform

8. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Highly unlikely as space is limited, and also access restrictions for civvies will be an issue.

Frankly give how appalling the mess is at Dryad and elsewhere, and knowing how much MOD charge non-entitled personnel, I'd save money and stay in a hotel elsewhere.

9. Southwick Park is a dump - I'd strongly suggest you go no-where near there. The RMP have destroyed a fine establishment.

10. Given it's importance , Southwick House still intact ?.

11. Yes.

Allied naval headquarters, Southwick House

Southwick Park, the site that includes Southwick House, is within the grounds of the Defence College of Policing and Guarding. The D-Day wall map at Southwick House can be viewed by the public, but access is by prior appointment only. Please do not try to visit without an appointment.

To visit Southwick House, please contact the Defence School of Policing and Guarding to make a booking. This can only be done by email at: [email protected].​

• Informative Informative x 1