Resole Parade Shoes?

Discussion in 'RFA' started by EightSixteen, Feb 22, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can it be done?

I'm in Collingwood and have had a case of shoeicide. I'm sure I've heard somewhere that they can't be resoled, can anyone confirm that?

Edit: Thread title amended as I'm now more reliably informed.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Cobblers?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. That's obviously where I would take them if nobody knows the answer from their own experience. If they tell me they can't be resoled then there's no point me bringing them 400 miles up the road, just for me to bin them at home.

4. How to Resole Your Footwear: 11 Steps (with Pictures)
    www.wikihow.com › ... › Fashion › Clothes by Type › Footwear
    How toResoleYourFootwear.Resolingyourfootwear, similar to the original sole, is economical. Customresolingyourfootwearcosts virtually the same and ...

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Depends where you take them to what the answer will be. If they are quality shoes then a good cobbler will be able to sole and heel them. If they are just expensive but cheaply made shoes then they will have to be ditched.
    When I worked in Kenya the local stall holders would replace the complete sole and heel assembly on even a cheap pair of trainers. But Kenya does not have the throw away economy of the UK

6. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

Don't go to those robbing bastards in Timpsons.....:confused:

7. Ah, sole rules the Navy.....

• Like Like x 2
  8. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Take them to Timpsons. £25. Or buy a new pair from Slops for about £60. Don't worry about that insert thing that they come with new. Timpsons do them but WTF for? Plain rubber.

And they are shoes, nothing 'officer ' about them. Rather like those who need to get advice on basic personal admin. FFS.

9. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

Wish that was the case Seadog. The better quality parade shoes are now £130 ish, someone tells me from asking in slops at Nelson... willing to be rebriefed otherwise.

10. I was told yesterday £140ish so it's there or thereabouts. I'd didn't realise that the parade shoes were the same accross the board Seadog, forgive me. The personal admin a dig at me or someone else?

Having had these shoes fall apart after 8 weeks at brnc and 2 weeks here, I was only looking for a bit of guidance from anyone in the know.

11. A well polished pair of Steaming Bats is cheap and comfortable

12. Seadog

The last pair I bought were purchased from the mobile slops van 7 years ago for under £60. I've got three pairs all serviceable. I was travelling a bit back then so I had bits of uniform in strategic locations so I could travel light(er).

Buy a pair of civvy shoes to the same RN pattern, black, plain, lace up, no toe caps, no square ends, no slip ons, no buckles, no fcuking Showaddywaddy soles.

13. Bloody hell what's the point in joining then? :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Whatever happened to "Snobs?" Have they all gone now? :cool:

15. Parade shoes? Is this more of the alleged navalisation of the RFA that I read of on other forums?

16. Seadog

I suppose that the RFA officer and ratings who attend the Festival of Remembrance and Cenotaph could wear trainers but that wouldn't be very respectful.

And going through BRNC ( since a long time ) lends a fait accompli to the wearing of 'parade' or smart uniform shoes.

17. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

I would return the shoes and ask for a refund as they appear to 'not fit for the purpose...etc'. Solid case if they 'fell apart' after so short a time. :)

18. I have a pair of black brogues I have had over 30 years been resoled + heeled more than once, need soles doing again, they fell of at a wedding end last year. If the shoe is a decent quality then they can be repaired

19. I had a broom like that, it had 4 new heads and 3 new handles in it's time, best broom ever ;)

(with thanks to Trigger :) )

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Top bit still original, shame my feet have grown, a bit tight now