Reserves & URNU

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by crazytree07, May 14, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Im going to uni in september and was wondering do the URNU have a sponsored officer scheme like the army reserves? I have no A-levels but it says equivalent qualifications, what are these? I know in the RAF mine are included as equivalent? If I joined the reserves after uni could i get an educational waiver with a degree?
  2. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

No - URNU is useful as a taster but is not a shortcut to BRNC.
  3. Im not looking for a shortcut, in the Army reserve their training syllabus is the same as an officer reserve, but thank you anyway
  4. What's Army reserve and officer reserve? Aren't they the same thing
  5. In the army reserve an officer reserve training (direct entrant) or you transfer your commission from regs or go on a pqo course if your a doc or vic
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Accepted A Level equivalents are usually BTEC Level 3 passed at merit for triple awards, merit/distinction for dual awards. Best bet? Take copies of ALL educational certificates to your AFCO so they can be copied and forwarded to AIB for verification.

In the event your A Level equivalent qualifications do not meet the eligibility criteria there are other options for branches that do not require a vocational degree. If you join as a Rating/Other Rank and have 5 GCSEs, including maths & English (passed at grade C or better), you can still apply for Officer if your reporting officer feels you have the potential.

In my opinion, one of the problems with the extremely expensive University Officer Cadet organisations is that the only academic criteria is that the individual is in Uni. The medical standards are not compatable with the regular service, there is no entrance test, no requirement to display leadership potential, just a ten minute interview which is a wholly unrealistic illusion for potential service joiners. They are not supposed to recruit potential officers (har de har) but, for the RN, out of 700 paid, commissioned students, the RN sees less than 30 officers join each year a cost of just under £10M a year.
  7. Ridiculous! There are plenty of things already at uni to take part in to enhance an application and develop relevant skills if someone wishes to apply when they graduate; plus the RNR.
  8. That looks like a dam good way to earn some cash as a student, is there any pay back for not joining?
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It is a good way to earn some cash, enhance your CV, go to sea at weekends & during your uni hols, gain some RYA qualifications, learn by osmosis about the Armed Forces, gain over £500 (tax free) per year in bounties, then graduate & bugger-off to a civilian job. No payback - they are classed as List 7 (no mobilisation liability) Reservist Officers.

Conversely you could join the RNR, not go to sea & have a liability to be mobilised, once trained.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ninja, you know full well (LOL) that the point of the URNU is to foster knowledge of the RN in the future Captains of industry and political classes that rule over us all, not provide fodder for the Officer Sausage machine.

At present giving myself a hernia trying to get people into the RNR, I suggest the chap concerned joins the RNR. However, if there is no URNU unit at the Uni concerned, or he decides this path then getting into an RNR unit aint gonna be easy. You've got PRESIDENT and KING ALFRED covering Norfolk round to Dorset. Back in the day of course, when there were RNR units at Medway, Brighton and Southampton, people had greater choice than Pompey or London for the entire South East of England.

The P2000s could be given to the RNR, who could then take the URNUs under their wing. Everybodys happy!
  11. URNU CO's will be cease being P2000 CO's in the not too distant future, so it's not beyond speculation that P2000s could be busier with training of some sort.
  12. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

From what I've seen P2000s will be far more URNU focused shortly which is good news.

Frankly I think the URNU scheme needs a damn good look at itself - in nearly 50 years of service it has failed to generate a single 'captain of industry' who the RN is prepared to declare openly. Ben Fogle is the only well known 'celebrity' I am aware of who served in an URNU.