Reserves Lists

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Magnetron, Jul 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

as a current serving member having joined after 1994, I believe that I am put on the 'reserves list' for 6 years after I leave the armed forces.

Does anyone know if this is the same as RNR are on, as they get used a lot for various things in hot nasty places. Also with the recent headlines on the news about cutting serving numbers and leaning more on reserves as a cheaper 'pay as you go' military, I can see ex-members being stitched for this :(

What are the chances of being taken off their books if you are made redundant this September?

Thanks.

2. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

No chance of a call up - the RN stopped using the Royal Fleet Reserve to all intents and purposes some years ago. To call you up, they have to know where you live first ;-)

3. Hmmm, I think in this current climate of reducing manpower, and increasing 'commitments' around the world popping up, there is a very high chace of being used in the immediate future. Plus we are all 'tri-service', all rifle trained, so in their eyes could use us as infantry if they wanted!

I understand thats what was in the contract (burried away) when I signed up, but most of the operations now are questionable (securing interests for corporations), and also with the redundancies and changes of pensions in 2015, it feels like they have welched on their side of the contract...

:-|

4. I'm on the reserve list and just a get a maily every year with a form to fill in that just checks your address is correct (they send you the 'kin thing in the first place) and NOK details etc.

However if they want me, they'll have to find me :evil3:

5. Purple_twiglet

"in this current climate of reducing manpower, and increasing 'commitments' around the world popping up, there is a very high chace of being used in the immediate future. Plus we are all 'tri-service', all rifle trained, so in their eyes could use us as infantry if they wanted!"

Absolutely no chance of that at all - you are worrying over nothing. The Army has extensive reserves of infanteers, but has never touched them, so the chances of them turning to ex matelots are about as likely as me skating to work tomorrow.

6. I won't tell him your based in Norway

7. Purple_twiglet

Quiet you! Its a miracle I can post, I'm spending so much time fending off these bloody polar bears :)