Reserve commando course

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by Jimpy, Feb 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can the RNR complete this, like the all arms commando course?
    And if anyone has done it how hard is it, specifically the 4 day field exercise, given we spend our deployments in a tin can!!

2. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

What possible reason could you have for NEEDING to do this course as opposed to WANTING to do this course?

If your branch requires a green lid trained cadre, then they will tell you how to get on the course. If not then you are a walter mitty badge collector who rightly deserves scorn for wasting public money on something that you have no possible reason to get.

If that comes across as harsh, well its meant to. If you want all the green lid stuff, go and join the RMR. I've known of RNR personnel with lids from previous existences, but I've never met someone from the RNR who has actually needed to do the course to do their job.
  3. There is a precedent set by an RNR unit, who sent a (RNRN) service member to train with a nearby RMR unit in order to help his "proper" RNR job.

I would also suggest that the addition to the RNR of someone who has shown the grit and determination to pass the Commando Tests can only ever help.

As for "hardness", you'll only find out by doing it.
  4. It was a question of interest. I'm struggling to see exactly where in my prose I stated that I either A needed it or B wanted it.
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The only qualified RNR Commandos Ive actually come across are either RNR Surgeons or ex regular RN or RM Commandos.

In the case of an RNR Surgeon undergoing All Arms Commando Course, my guess is they would do the regular service 8/9 week course.

Doubtless someone somewhere has a mate who managed to achieve it another way, but under normal circumstances I'd guess the requirement is insufficiently common to require a a designated reserve forces commando course besides that undertaken by RMR Recruits.
  6. 131 Independent Cdo Engineers(V) have a separate intake I believe:
    131 Indep Cdo Sqn - British Army Website
  7. Commando Course hard? Nah it's a piece of pish mate.
    About as hard as the space between your ears. Rock in other words.

FFS! CotW question of the week
  8. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

I know badge collecting is the rage, but its not about 'what gucci course can I do' - its about 'what do I need to do to keep myself current in order to deliver Operational Capability to the RN'.

If you are in a branch where its a necessity to have green lidded members, then the branch will make it happen. If not, then you don't need to do it. If you do do it, you are using up MTDs which aren't being spent keeping you current in branch, and means that fundamentally you are wasting taxpayers money on a jolly.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but the days when one could go through the trawl, pick the 'underwater basket weaving course' and put in for 2 weeks intensive training in Tahiti (or in the Ops HQ branch, do a weekends 'training' in the GIB COMCEN, which was in fact a forenoon spent working off hangovers) have gone forever.
  9. Ninja_Stoker

10. Pongo hater :)
  11. Must. Not. Make. Obvious. Comment.

12. I know a couple of RNR MOs who earned their green lids via the RMR recruit course, and one more who was attempting this. Everyone else I've met in the RNR with one had it from previous service.

There is no way on this Earth or the next that any RNR MO would be in a position to take 8-9 weeks' leave to do the regular AACC; the NHS is generally a supportive employer to the Reserve, but not that supportive, especially as naked roll-mat fighting is not really a skill transferable to civilian practice :p

13. Ninja_Stoker

Yep hence the second bit:

Fact is, as a recruiter I've come across a few guys hoping to graduate as doctors of medicine who either join the RMR when taking A Levels, or perhaps attempt the precarious balance of RMR whilst at Med school or indeed one or two Doctors who declare they wish to join the RMR as an Officer & get all upitty when told that the RMR doesn't directly employ Doctors & unless already Commando qualified, they would have to join as an Other Rank initially (Lorks, the shame of it!). Early in their careers, pre-registration medics or medic aspirants have undergone All Arms Commando Course before entering into the clutches of the NHS.

To be perfectly honest, I've never been entirely convinced why either schoolies or doctors need to be Commando qualified as generally we prefer to employ schoolies to teach & doctors to save lives- Rather than bung high value assets on the battlefield to teach the baddies a lesson or two or drum-up a few customers for treatment.
  14. AFAIK via the RMR recruit course is the only route by which RNR personnel can undergo commando training. My posting was meant to illustrate this.

I was at medical school with a chap who joined the RMR, got his beret, then joined the RN on a cadetship :p Oddly Pusser didn't then draft him to submarines. The official line on why we need commando MOs is so they can deploy as far forward as the troops; compare with the Army role of Regimental Medical Officer. I entirely agree about schoolies though.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  15. Oh go know you want to :p
  16. Ninja_Stoker

My apologies, I forgot to add the emoticon to suggest I was being whimsical ref Docs at the sharp end: :toothy3: