Researching Your Ancestors in the Royal Navy

FluffyBunny

Some of you may have heard of ARRSE :) and the ARRSEpedia, which is a wikipedia we can all edit.

Somewhere in the depths of the ARRSEpedia are a couple of pages on Researching Your Military Ancestors and Ancestors in the Royal Navy.

If you have any knowledge of these subjects you'd like to share, please feel free to join in building these pages.

If you're a wiki biff, PM me here and we'll find a way of getting it in there.

Kind regards

Fluff, a pongo descended from tars

roineval

Midshipman
If you are interested in ancestors that served in the RN you can download their service documents for a small fee (about £3-£5) from the national archives under military history.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

You'll need your ancestors Date of Birth. I did it for my granddad and my husbands granddad - both matelots in WW1.

Gas_Gas_Gas

Midshipman
The National Archives are very useful. I got the records of two great grandfathers for WW1. It even turned out one was at Jutland.

Another possible sourse is the archives of the London & Edinburgh Gazettes. Found another gg grandfather was onboard when one of the first VCs was won in the Crimean War - albeit they were in the Baltic at the time.

London Gazette

Edinburgh Gazette

I wrote to 'Centurion' and for a small fee got my fathers war record, splendid and frightening thing it was; he never talked about it.

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Click on http://www.iwm.org.uk/upload/pdf/famhist_navy2007.pdf as a starter and also there is a paperback on the subject by NAM Rodger - usually on sale in Kew & there's also a copy in Portsmouth central library if one is in the vicinity.

If one sends for papers it has to be by or in the name of the next of kin, and expect some months to pass between the cashing of the £30 cheque and the arrival of the result.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Researching Richie/Rick Trense Nearest & Dearest 15
rod-gearing Researching a possible Walt Diamond Lil's 18
trelawney126 Researching Naval History History 2
N Researching my friend's Granfather's Royal Naval Career The Quarterdeck 19
K Researching a book The Quarterdeck 34
sweetpea WWI Army Ancestors. History 34
bigbaddog Any of your Ancestors done a runner?? Diamond Lil's 11
soleil Royal Navy International Air Day - Online - Saturday, July 11th 2020 The Fleet Air Arm 2
N Royal Navy Drugs Policy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
T What is the contract of service for the royal navy rating? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy flyers Land On Pitching Postage Stamp Deck | Nostalgia" The Fleet Air Arm 14
soleil FB: RMRN: Take A Look Around HMS Holland I, The First Submarine To Be Commissioned By The Royal Navy Submariners 0
MoD_RSS Innovative team scoops prestigious Royal Society of Chemistry Award MoD News 0
C RFA or Royal Navy? Older applicant Joining the Royal Navy 26
MoD_RSS "Blame game" to end as Divorce Bill receives Royal Assent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Corporate Insolvency and Governance Bill receives royal assent MoD News 0
soleil FB: "Whittall Division Are Making History At Britannia Royal Naval College" Bases / Shore Est 4
Z Royal Navy triage call Submariners 5
MoD_RSS Sir George Norton appointed as next Commandant of the Royal College of Defence Studies (RCDS) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has reappointed Sue Wilkinson OBE as a Trustee of Historic Royal Palaces. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Royal Navy joins NATO allies on major maritime exercise in the Baltic Sea region MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence Secretary addresses members of the Royal College of Defence Studies MoD News 0
B Royal Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
soleil Portsmouth News: "34 Great Old Photos Of The Famous Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Hermes" The Fleet 1
soleil Sun: "Royal Navy Submarine Crews Face 14-day Quarantine To Prevent Coronavirus Outbreak" Submariners 7
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Prince Of Wales To Carry Out Investigation After Flooding Onboard" The Fleet 16
soleil Scuba Diver Mag: "Heart of Oak – On Board The Royal Navy’s HMS Richmond" The Fleet 0
soleil YT: Royal Navy - An Interview With F-35 Pilot Lt Cdr Stephen Collins, Call Sign Lothar The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil VE Day 75 - A Royal Navy Retrospective The Fleet 0
soleil RN Website: "Britannia Royal Naval College Lights Up For VE Day" Bases / Shore Est 3
soleil The News: "Royal Navy Warships To Blast Sirens And Light The Sky As Portsmouth Marks VE Day" The Fleet 9
soleil Helensburgh Advertiser: "Royal Navy To Pay Faslane Tribute On VE Day 75th Anniversary" Bases / Shore Est 7
soleil The News: "Royal Navy Destroyer Prone To Breaking Down In The Gulf Leaves Portsmouth For Key Engine Upgrade" The Fleet 3
soleil FB: "Video About The Royal Navy Photographic Branch, Created By Leading Photographer Dan Shepherd" #RNPhoto100 The Fleet 0
soleil FB: Royal Australian Navy Band - In Flanders Fields - Anzac Day 2020 History 1
soleil FB: National Museum Of The Royal Navy - Warrior Webcam Bases / Shore Est 1
soleil FB: Royal Navy and Royal Marines Charity - RNRMC Submarine Fund (RNRMC-SMF) Submariners 1
E Considering joining the Royal Navy- looking for advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
David-19™ Joining the Royal Marines Reserve at 30. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
soleil Daily Record: "Royal Navy Crew Salute NHS Staff On River Clyde In Show Of Thanks Amidst Coronavirus Lockdown" The Fleet 0
soleil Asian Image: "Royal Navy Admiral Visits Birmingham’s Central Mosque" The Fleet 2
soleil The Maritime Executive: "How the Royal Navy Searches Boats for Narcotics" The Fleet 6
MoD_RSS Royal Marines travel to Belarus for winter warfare exercise MoD News 0
soleil Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity - Build Your Own Aircraft Carrier Charity 2
soleil FB: The Royal Family - Presentation Of The Queen's Gallantry Medal To LS David Groves The Fleet 1
H How long is a contract in Royal Navy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
D Is the Royal Navy psychometric test the same for the Royal Marines? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
C Are the Royal Marines part of the Royal Navy itself? The Corps 5
soleil FB: "A Royal Navy Valentine" The Fleet 1
soleil Tw: Commander Maritime Reserves - Royal Naval Reserves & Royal Marines Reserve Survey 2020 Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0