Researching Richie/Rick Trense

Hello everyone. I'm researching my father-in-law's military service for my wife and struggling to find out much definite information.

We know he joined the Royal Navy in the summer of 1949 instead of matriculating from grammar school (anything to get out of school, right? :) ), and we have a photo of him serving aboard the HMS Jutland, though we don't know the year but going by how youthful he looks it must have been in the 1950s. We -think- he also served aboard the HMS Belfast, and this would definitely tie-in with what we know about where he's served, as he completed his training in Hong Kong, where the HMS Belfast was stationed in 1959, and then saw action in the Korean War, which is something the Belfast was heavily involved in from what I can find out. Rick was also in Egypt at some point but we don't know when or on which vessel.

The only anecdote we know from his time with the Navy was that he has a partial tattoo from his time in Hong Kong, after Navy MPs interrupted the work as Rick (and presumably some crewmates) had strayed to close to the border with China and there were concerns about Navy personnel being grabbed.

If anyone can help me fill in the considerable blanks, or help direct my search, I'd be hugely grateful.

huwshpis

War Hero
1959 and the Korean War do not match up. The Korean war lasted from 1950 - 1953. Please check your facts before coming on here as we are apt to be irritated by obvious errors.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Just to be picky, there's no the in front of HMS so it's just HMS Belfast. Jutland was only in commission for 10 years ('47 - '57) so that timing will match up.

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
We used to have the excellent services of @sweetpea for this sort of thing.
Another member who has, sadly, moved away.

@TheVonTrenses - Have a whack at the search button and you might find some legacy advice on how to go about researching this sort of thing. Your life will be easier if you know your FiL's service number.
It might also be worth contacting Belfast to see what they know.

Sorry not to be of more help.

Salty-Dog

Lantern Swinger
Try and obtain your FiL's Service Record as per:
Also try the HMS Belfast Association:
Click on the photos to find out more.

sweetpea

War Hero
Hi All!
@TheVonTrenses Unfortunately all service records that date after 1928 are still held by the MoD but a short copy of the service record for Richie Trense can be ordered and purchased from them. Please use the link above provided by Salty-Dog to print off the request forms.

Good luck!

SP.

soleil

War Hero
Richard Leslie Trense

Birth 03/01/1933 West Ham, London, England

Marriages 01/1963 04/1972

Death 02/09/2006 Enfield Middx England

Last edited:
1959 and the Korean War do not match up. The Korean war lasted from 1950 - 1953. Please check your facts before coming on here as we are apt to be irritated by obvious errors.
Sorry shipper I would respectfully suggest you lighten up a tad......I spotted that error too, but hardly a flogging offence...:)

soleil

War Hero
We know he joined the Royal Navy in the summer of 1949 instead of matriculating from grammar school (anything to get out of school, right? :) ), and we have a photo of him serving aboard the HMS Jutland, though we don't know the year but going by how youthful he looks it must have been in the 1950s. We -think- he also served aboard the HMS Belfast, and this would definitely tie-in with what we know about where he's served, as he completed his training in Hong Kong, where the HMS Belfast was stationed in 1959, and then saw action in the Korean War, which is something the Belfast was heavily involved in from what I can find out. Rick was also in Egypt at some point but we don't know when or on which vessel.
The answer to your question about when he was in Egypt may well be 1952, HMS Jutland.

She was over there as part of the 4th Destroyer Squadron during the disturbances in Egypt in mid 1952.