Researching information ( non classified stuff ) for a novel. Help needed please.

HartleyHare

Lantern Swinger
SSN's have permanent crews, each draft being anywhere between 2 - 4 years (my last one was 4 years), Bombers in the patrol cycle (2 of them) both have 2 permanent crews, same duration periods as SSNs i.e. 2 - 4 years, who cycle patrols, so you end up doing every other patrol.

Submariners can go to the surface fleet but it's difficult to do and not a common occurrence, easy for the logistics branch but more difficult for other branches due to the re-training required.

The MoD doesn't have facilities, as such, for PTSD but every base has a welfare branch in attendance (uniformed branch of the RN but they wear civilian clothing at work) and there are no treatment programmes that I'm aware of. There used to be a psychiatric hospital at Netley marsh in Hampshire but that closed years ago and I think there are psychiatric facilities at MDHU's (Ministry of Defence Hospital Units based in NHS Hospitals such as Derriford in Plymouth) but whether they have wards or facilities I have no idea. Google MDHU and see what pops up.
Hmmm, there doesn't seem to be much information online ( or I'm looking in the wrong place ). The MDHU's are integrated into NHS hospital, but don't seem to have surgical facilities, so assume that would be carried out in the NHS hospital first. less
Discovered there are NHS and private clinics in Scotland who treat ptsd. I will have to contact a few to ask if they treat service personell

Which leads me into another question, which you may not know the answer to or may not be able to tell me ( not sure if it's considered sensitive information). Thought I'd ask anyways. In my story the submarine is going to sink. Once the survivors have been rescued where would they be taken? Rescue ships first for assessment ? Would the injured requiring surgery then be flown to one of NHS hospitals?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Hmmm, there doesn't seem to be much information online ( or I'm looking in the wrong place ). The MDHU's are integrated into NHS hospital, but don't seem to have surgical facilities, so assume that would be carried out in the NHS hospital first. less
Discovered there are NHS and private clinics in Scotland who treat ptsd. I will have to contact a few to ask if they treat service personell

Which leads me into another question, which you may not know the answer to or may not be able to tell me ( not sure if it's considered sensitive information). Thought I'd ask anyways. In my story the submarine is going to sink. Once the survivors have been rescued where would they be taken? Rescue ships first for assessment ? Would the injured requiring surgery then be flown to one of NHS hospitals?
Survivors would be taken to the rescue ships and assessed, it depends on what facilities the rescue ships have but doctors are a part of the SPAG (Submarine Parachute Assistance Group), try researching them, you may get the answers you seek.

Like all other submariners I was taught how to get out in the SETT, known as the tank, I never gave much thought about what would happen once I was picked up.

HartleyHare

Lantern Swinger
Survivors would be taken to the rescue ships and assessed, it depends on what facilities the rescue ships have but doctors are a part of the SPAG (Submarine Parachute Assistance Group), try researching them, you may get the answers you seek.

Like all other submariners I was taught how to get out in the SETT, known as the tank, I never gave much thought about what would happen once I was picked up.
Thanks, I will do that now.

Waspie

War Hero
In my experience, Mil SAR. Submarine personnel requiring surgery will be taken to the nearest hospital with the necessary skills for the injury. IE, if major trauma, then the RCC (Rescue Coordination Centres, (UK), would tell the rescue helicopters to go to the hospital providing those skills. Military or civilian.
EG, trauma may be Londonderry. Cardio probs - Southampton. Burns - Stoke Manderville. etc etc.

It would also depend on where the sinking took place! If outside the range of a shore based chopper then a helicopter platform, ship with flight deck would receive casualties and then make to the nearest country able to take casualties or airfield to be repatriated back to the UK.

Look at what happens in Afghan. Army personnel injured in action can be back in the UK within 24 hours.

Whenever there is a submarine incident all nations get to gather to prove aid. Look at the Kursk and such. US, Brit Warships were on hand to provide aid if requested. Compete with rescue submersibles. All out there on the internet to read.

UK and USA are well practised with this type of incident.

Latest Threads