Researching information ( non classified stuff ) for a novel. Help needed please.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Why dont you take one of these fine gentlemen ;) for a few beers. They will bore you rigid with terminology and tales of derring do and you’ll have enough material for a sequel starring some general service ship antics.
We're NOT gentlemen, we are pirates. As per Admiral Wilson, 1905.
If they lived on Anglesey then I might consider doing just that - lol!. I wouldn't be bored, boats fascinate me! A friend, who knows about the book, is already planning the sequel and the movie :D

What does FNC mean?
PLEASE tell me he/she had nothing to do with 'Virgil'........

Waspie

War Hero
Aaaaah ASW helichopters, that we can hear from miles away (or a long way away at least) when they go into the hover with their dipping sonar.
Well, you lot do operate with all the cards in your favour. In my defence, my squadron was more shallow water oriented than deep due to us not having no platform to operate off.
I'd like to think the newer Merlins with more advanced kit can do better!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Well, you lot do operate with all the cards in your favour. In my defence, my squadron was more shallow water oriented than deep due to us not having no platform to operate off.
I'd like to think the newer Merlins with more advanced kit can do better!
Its the downdraught form the rotors that are a giveaway, although we used to be able to detect low flying Nimrods, plus the sound of sonobouys hitting the water.

Sumo

War Hero
Its the downdraught form the rotors that are a giveaway, although we used to be able to detect low flying Nimrods, plus the sound of sonobouys hitting the water.
Even worst if they dunked one of their cable attached sonar's, they radiated noise like hell.