Researching information ( non classified stuff ) for a novel. Help needed please.

Waspie

War Hero
Was this a Sport diver? I used to dive. Avoided getting the bends , although I was present on a dive where someone got bent. I did have a rather interesting experience with nitrogen narcissist at 37 metres in the dark.
Can't remember to be honest. He was just one of many and is simply a one liner in my flying log. From memory, I recall he was diving on a wreck. (I wouldn't bet on it though). Don't recall the depth he was at - sorry. As I said, he recovered well, unlike one who lied and ended up paralysed from the neck down. He was salvaging nets off the bottom in the Clyde areas and was way deeper than he told us. (We radio ahead so the chamber can be ready).

Waspie

War Hero
I'm still working on this. My original plans were for a Vanguard class submarine sinking at the end of her first patrol and on the way to a foreign port for a couple of months. However ...... I may have to revise this.

Some compartments will be compromised with loss of life.

There will be ROV/LR 5

Depth will be below 600 feet

Still contemplating on why the submarine will sink.
Just a thought. Choosing an existent class you will have to be spot as there will be many critics to pick holes in any discrepancies!!!
Could you not 'invent' a new class. That way nothing to compare against and you can have whatever kit/weapons your mind can think of!!!

Another thought. Oceanography pictures a lot in submarine operations. They play in it after all!!

D

Deleted 113170

Just a thought. Choosing an existent class you will have to be spot as there will be many critics to pick holes in any discrepancies!!!
Could you not 'invent' a new class. That way nothing to compare against and you can have whatever kit/weapons your mind can think of!!!

Another thought. Oceanography pictures a lot in submarine operations. They play in it after all!!
Do you mean existent or existant?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Sorry, no idea what you've just said again! Items? Red Cross locker ?
Every escape compartment has a Red Cross locker (because it has a red cross on it) containing escape stores, every submariner has to list the contents. So far chisel ended wheel spanner, vent cap, last man tapes (tapes,not tally @Sumo ) and dextrose tablets have been correctly named, just a couple more to go.

First Aid/medical lockers have a blue cross.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Hartley (We had a Lt Hartley i/c of the Submarine School at one time - any relation? We called him Hartley Rabbit, 1985/6).As advised 'invent' a boat using your knowledge. If you usea current class, folk will be all over your mistakes like a tramp on chips - remember Vigil on BBC recently?Causes - many. Defective weld on a bilge pump, rupture of a pipe - these would allow lots of water in. Internal disruption - a 'new experimental weapon' failure a la Kursk.

Lots and lots and LOTS of good current films on YouTube. Beware of getting US and RN terminology mixed up, eg Boomers and Bombers for SSBNs.

@WreckerL I used to love it when the Barley Sugars went out of date and got passed around!