Research - mental health of young ex-services personnel

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by danoneill, Jul 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I would like to contact young EX-military personnel (ideally 25 years old or less - it is very important that they are not still serving) with a view to talking to them and/or their families about any emotional or mental health issues that have affected them either during or since leaving the services, and what kinds of support they have (or have not) been offered.

Even if you have not had problems yourself, I would still be very interested to hear your views on this issue, so if you would like to contribute to this research, please pm me; or if you know anyone else who might be interested, please pass this message on to them or ask them to contact me directly (details on the information sheet ).

The findings of the research will be presented to the funders (the Indigo Trust) and throughout the NHS and services support and welfare community, the intention being to raise awareness of the problems being experienced and highlight areas of good (and less good) practice.

If you would like more information there is a downloadable participant information sheet via this link or just contact me directly.

Thank you very much for your help.

Dan O'Neill

Senior Research Officer / Teaching Fellow
    Department of Health and Human Sciences
    University of Essex
    Colchester
    CO4 3SQ

2. Dan,

Good points of contact that may be useful, and who already do a lot for ex-servicemen are:

Royal British Legion Link

Soldier, Sailors, Airmen and Families Assoc (SSAFA) Link

3. And of course Combat Stress

But you're probably already in contact with them.....

4. thanks Karma, but yes, we've already talked to a few people via Combat Stress - and everyone speaks very highly of that organisation.

Any other suggestions for possible routes to make contact gratefully received!

5. You've deflated my delusions of still being a youngster at 44! :oops:

6. Inevitably, they take on the rough stuff, given the difficulty in getting anything form the NHS in a reasonable timeframe.

Another option might be The Association of RN Officers, but they're less active in this kind of area AFAIK, and given your upper limit I'd be very surprised if they have much.

7. SafeWalrus

do you think you could contact me again, please? I've tried pm'ing, but it looks as if the message didnt go.

thanks
    Dan