Reschedule Recruit Test? Advice Required.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Fergarino, May 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

After a lot of consideration and research I decided that a career in the Royal Navy was what I needed in my life, particularly working around the technological marvel that is nuclear submarines.

I attended a careers presentation on Wed 1st May, and after asking the questions I wanted answered, I was still very keen on joining up for Marine Engineering (Submariner). In my excitement; possibly without really thinking it through carefully enough, I booked in my Psychometric recruitment test for Tues 7th May.

Now I'm in a tough spot; I don't have as much time as I would like in order to finish preparing for the Test, Interview, and completing the forms I need to fill out. To add insult to injury, it was revealed to me that Monday is a bank holiday so I will not be able to contact any of the recruitment staff live until Tuesday morning, when I will be expected to attend and sit the test (0945).

Should I:

a) Phone up ASAP and leave a message explaining that I would like to re-arrange the test, with an honest apology since I understand they would not have time to put someone else in the place I would leave vacant.

b) Phone up at 0830 on Tuesday 7th and apologies even more extensively with what at that point can only be considered as an insultingly short notice request.

c) Show up in person early and explain that I would like to reschedule my test to allow myself more practice.

d) Lump the mistake I caused with my keen attitude, show up on the 7th to sit the test, and risk not getting the score I deserve/need.

The last time I took an important exam was 2009, so I'm extremely anxious about this test, I don't think I could kick my frustration if I fell at the first hurdle.

All and any advice is greatly appreciated :)

2. I was just 16 and I rocked up at the recruitment office, no interweb spoon feeding required, just sat down with the pencil they gave me and got on with it.... I didn't even take my mummy or a special friend. Mr Teddy.....I was a very very brave bear!!!

• Like Like x 3
  3. How very lovely for you, while I understand your "get on with it" attitude, I also understand that I will have to wait 12 months if I screw up. I don't want to do that.

What I was merely looking for was an insight into the attitude recruitment staff took towards rescheduling the test; whether they would mind the short notice or not.

If all you have to contribute is some boyish comment in an attempt to belittle me and what is, frankly, a reasonable request for advice, I suggest you refrain from engaging in any further correspondence with me on this forum.

Regards.

4. Oooeerrr get you princess!!!!
    Dry yer fuckin tears and man up, it's the armed forces you are trying to join, not a fuckin Train spotters club.

If you screw up on such a simple task as passing the entrance exams, tough.....if you have to spend months studying for one. that will just delay theinevitable, that you are not suitable for military service and will get chopped further down the training line.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Try option b).

It's probably best not to think too deeply about it, it happens every week, we`re familiar with the scenario.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Months, I was thinking more like a few more days, you say it as if the content of the recruitment test is something you either know or don't know, which isn't true, like every skill it can be perfected with practice. To answer 30 maths questions in under 16 minutes and make sure I get them 100% right I want a bit more time.

So you can either provide useful advice about whether the recruiting staff will be okay with me contacting them at short notice for a reschedule (which someone of your level of professionalism is unlikely to know anyway) or shut up.

I am absolutely cut out for the military and if I want to be well practiced before proceeding that's my prerogative. If you don't like it gtfo.

7. Thanks very much for your help :)

8. 4 days is plenty of time to revise for the RT, the only difficult part the test is the time limits.

9. Don't forget to take mummy with you...chuckle!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  10. OMM

OMM War Hero

You seem a smart enough guy...

Just go in and smash it, I didn't really revise for mine other than refreshing myself on certain mathematical methods.

11. Says who?

Your arrogant self-importance would suggest otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Why didn't you start revising straight away? And if you have been busy then you should have known to tell them a later date would be more appropriate. 'Absolutely cut out for the military' but cannot make a simple decision.

13. Having recently sat my RT I really don't think there's a great deal you can do to prepare yourself aside from the practice booklet. Just go and give it your best!

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

14. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

*MOD head on*

I can see where you are coming from here and i didn't read anything personal towards the OP in this, just a scenario of how it used to be. Much the same when i took my tests for the Army at 16. The trouble is, some of the newbies on this forum won't see it that way. Temperance is the key in Newbies at the moment.

Read what i wrote above. I don't think Spidiver was having a pop at you per se, just giving you a "military" nudge in the right direction. You say you are cut out for the military? Read what i've quoted above and have a long hard think about that. You'll get much worse when you're in.

Good luck in any event.

*MOD head off*

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

It's a 12 month knock back if you fail (unless you're a "near miss", still in education & a waiver is applied after 6 months).

16. Hello again, people.

I must say I am sorry for the way I reacted, perhaps my own anxiety caused me to behave in a manner that appeared quite childish and arrogant.

I went on the day and did pass. (I left mummy to look after Teddy bear avenue while I was away, someone had to.)

So there we are, my fear was unfounded. I had prepared quite extensively before the day I posted, and I was feeling the pressure of the big day bearing down on me, I felt I needed more time when I evidently didn't.

You might say my comment about being cut out for the military was arrogant, I would say it was defensive. I was only trying to express my own determination to succeed.

Anyway thanks again for all the response, good or bad.

I'll stop talking now before I embarrass myself further on this thread.

17. Ninja_Stoker

Well done, good effort. Preparation is the key.

Best of luck with the rest of it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Well done.

• Like Like x 1
  19. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

It takes balls to apologise, well done.

• Like Like x 1