Requisits for Slt RNR

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by AntC, Jul 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What are the requirements for promotion to SLt RNR?

I only as this, as I am aware that in the Regular RN the requirements for Midshipman are UCAS Points (A-Levels or equivalents) and the requirement for SLt is a Degree (BA or BSc).

I am also aware that in general the rank/rate structure is pretty much the same between the RN regular and the RNR, with the exception of the Rank ASLt which exists only in the RNR.

However with the exception of URNU Midshipmen (who are RNR Midshipmen) I have yet to see a Midshipman from the RNR proper. This makes me think that perhaps in the RNR proper it may well be possible to be ASLt before you have a degree?

Can anyone clarify?

Ant

2. AntC. I have just been approved to join the RNR as a Mid (despite having previous full-time RN seniority as a Mid). Having received this news, it sounds to me like the RNR is following the RN's approach to entry rank (I do not have a degree as I declined my uni offer two years ago to go to BRNC), and as such, minus a degree you would join as Mid.

I'm just summising here, but I would say that ASLt is virtually the same as a full-time SLt before s/he has taken their Fleetboard. The only difference being the acknowledgement of this is an adaptation of the rank title.

3. AntC,

From memory and BR60, the RNR uses "Acting Sublieutenant" for those over 20 years old, "Midshipman" for those under 20. So it's theoretically *possible* to be a RNR midshipman, but you'd advance to A/SLt as you passed 20. Not sure, in practice, how many officers come into the RNR so young.

I may well be wrong so take this with caution :)

4. Just to note (seeing the above post), I am 20 and would have been promoted to SLt in January had I remained in the RN.

5. Requisites.

6. That's 'im telled. :thumright:

7. I've certainly seen Midshipmen in the RNR, and as I recall it's all about age. I watched one transform overnight from Mid to ASLt based entirely on his age. The idea that you need a degree to be an ASLt is, I suspect, not quite true.

Anyway, to answer the question, to become a SLt RNR, presuming you're already a Mid or an ASLt, you have to pass the Fleetboard exam.

8. Ahh I wasn't saying for sure that Mid RNR didn't exist outside of the URNU I was just pointing out that I hadn't met any, and so was a little unsure.

Thanks for the info though guys!

9. The whole system's changed recently, in line with the RN. We had a Mid RNR a few years back, who just happened to be below 20, but nowadays turning 20 doesn't get you your first stripe if you haven't been to university.

10. Fair enough; didn't know that. The relentless march to push the RNR to match the RN goes pointlessly on.

11. That it to say, it has changed recently in the RN, and judging from Simon's experience, the change seems to have been followed through in the RNR also.

To be honest, giving people a promotion just because they reached 20, regardless of whether they had any added skills or a degree, is not really a very sensible system. In the RNR, most people join much older than 20 anyway, although I have to say I am not sure I would want to be a 35-year old midshipman.

The system used to be Cadet RN at Dartmouth, then Midshipman on passing out, then Acting Sub-Lieutenant on passing Fleet Board, then confirmed Sub-Lieutenant after getting a watch-keeping ticket.

The only reason the RN started making people ASLts before Fleet Board was because of the first direct graduate entry intake in 1971 (with the Prince of Wales). So it makes no sense for non-graduates to be able automatically to skip being midshipmen just because of age.

12. I always had the idea that making people ASLts on entry if they held a degree was an acknowledgment that they held knowledge and experience beyond their straight-from-A-Level chums. As such, I can understand age being a factor twixt Middy and Subby, as a 35 year old cadet would have almost as much working-life experience as his younger chums would have been alive.

Of course, in those days a degree meant something etc. etc.

13. :thumright:
    Once a Snotty always a Snotty? Take heart, that when you officially Retire. You will be promoted to the Dizzey heights of a SL/T :salut:

14. Ancient Mariner Mode on/
    When I joined Dartmouth in 1979 it was as a Mid (Not a Cadet) as I was aged 20. If I had been 21 or over or had a degree I would have joined as Acting S/Lt.
    I did my Fleet Board as a Mid & wasn't promoted S/Lt until 2 full years as Mid.
    Ancient Mariner Mode off/

15. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

"Fair enough; didn't know that. The relentless march to push the RNR to match the RN goes pointlessly on"

And the problem with that is what exactly?

16. The two organisations meet different needs. The RNR should not be a smaller photocopy of the RN, just as the RN should not be the RNR writ large.

17. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

I'm just curious as to what these different needs are - we're one service (Full and part time) - please can you explain how you see the RNR role being different to the RNs?

18. I certainly can.

The RN has eight 'defence missions'. To whit:

Contribute to the security of the UK and its citizens world-wide in peacetime, including providing military aid to civil authorities.

Contribute to the internal and external security of the UK's Overseas Territories, e.g. Bermuda, Gibraltar and the Falklands.

Participate in the Defence Diplomacy initiative through the building of international trust.

Support British interests, influence and standing abroad extending to the support of defence exports.

Participate in Peace Support and Humanitarian Operations.

Provide forces required to counter a strategic attack on NATO.

Maintain capability to mount a response to a regional conflict outside NATO which could adversely affect European Security or UK interests.

Provide forces needed to respond to a regional conflict inside NATO where an Ally calls for assistance under Article 5 of the Washington Treaty.

The RNR's 'mission' is a bit simpler, which is lucky, since maintaining nuclear weaponry is not something I'd be keen to do in my evenings and weekends. The RNR is 'to enable the Royal Navy to meet its operational commitments in times of stretch, when extra manpower is required' - crisis, tension, stretch and war are the four words that used to be bandied around a lot but that particular slogan has gone quiet recently.

These are taken from the RN web page.

As you say, we are indeed one service, but that doesn't mean we all meet the same needs - as another example, the HR bods in my civilian job work for the same company as the guys that do the welding, but they meet very different needs.