Requirements for Royal Navy Officer

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Blackberry, Oct 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Guys,

Is this a true requirement for Officers?

'An officer should also be a rogueishly handsome, womanising, cigar smoking cad, with a voice like a wolverine's purr and a side parting so tight it could be used as a spirit level. '

2. I hope not

I don't smoke and don't have a side parting.
  3. Lol, Its from Blackadder! :D
  4. They missed out the part where you nod wisely at every senior officers comment and say "absolutely" at random points of a conversation.
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Whilst many may consider asking or actually ask bone questions, successful Officer applicants generally manage to keep them to an absolute minimum. :wink:
  6. I remember once shouting across a bar to a friend:

"Hey Mike, what's that Big Bird in Seasame Street called?"

This being an example of a question I should've kept to myself. Or at least not shouted out loud.
  7. Lord Above there's one born every minute.
  8. Great aint it? :D
  9. "Mess Webley required in the Newbies forum, I say again, Mess Webley required in the Newbies forum. That is all."

Blackberry I think you know what is required.
  10. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

I normally ask newbies that aspire to be officers if they have practised their officer voice. When the reply with "What?" I launch into a tirade of nonsense in my best WWII, black and white film, clipped tones including such phrases as:

I say

Jolly good

What what

Bully off

What -ho

Thye tend to look at me like I have lost my mind, but I know that secretly when they get home they are then practising their own officer voice!
  11. Is that conduct allowed on the ships these days?
    Are the paddles issued or do you have to buy your own?

Many thanks
    Spank Lover
  12. I think that spiffing has been replaced by spaffing or that may just be a lower deck thing.
  13. I don't understand.
  14. Yes, you do.
  15. I love it when your being masterful Sol :love10:
  16. No.

I don't.

:scratch: :crybaby:
  17. Bugger.

Yes. :blush:

I do.
  18. 'puter failure.