Requirement for Naval Personnel to hold an EHIC...

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by sgtpepperband, Jun 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

All Serving RN/RM Personnel:

Navy Command HQ has directed that all Naval Service personnel should apply for and hold a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This card replaces the E111 and will complement existing mechanisms for accessing healthcare overseas.

The requirement for Naval Service personnel to be in possession of a valid EHIC will be included in pre-deployment medical directives.

2010DIN01-110 (Class: Unclassified) refers (DII access only).

NHS EHIC website.

2. I believe I already have one of these. I will check though, pretty sure I'm already on ball without realising :D

3. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I've got one - do I have to join the Navy now? :twisted:

4. I've got one. If they want me back they'll have to find me first.

5. ive got one, ive got one, expires 2012. :lol:

6. Its free, might as well have one!!!

7. Done. suprised it let me with these steam powered thin client computers at work

8. I've applied for mine after being told to today.. but as my only deployment as RNR is likely to be outside of Europe, why do I care?

Surely the MoD should be coming up with some kind of Forces Agreement rather than us having to do more admin and hold yet another useless piece of paper..

9. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Its plastic.

Don't see the problem, if you choose to holiday in Europe you need it so most of the population should have one anyway. Hardly a big deal.

10. As an EU citizen you are entitled to free healthcare in EU countries, if you hold an EHIC.

Why should Pusser have to pay if we have to evacuate you to an EU country for medical treatment when you could have it for free if you were on holiday?

Holding an EHIC will prevent this, and is also useful should you decide to holiday in Europe. It's free too, so I really don't see the problem.

11. I sorted mine a few months ago online, aswell as ones for the rest of my family. It only takes 5mins so I wouldn't worry about alot of extra admin!

12. 'As an EU citizen you are entitled to free healthcare in EU countries, if you hold an EHIC.

Why should Pusser have to pay if we have to evacuate you to an EU country for medical treatment when you could have it for free if you were on holiday?

Holding an EHIC will prevent this, and is also useful should you decide to holiday in Europe. It's free too, so I really don't see the problem.'

Not the whole truth, it only covers certain things, it is only ion this country you get everything free when visiting

https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/home.do

Application For European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)
    If you are a UK resident, you are entitled to medical treatment that becomes necessary, at reduced cost or sometimes free, when temporarily visiting a European Union (EU) country, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland. Only treatment provided under the state scheme is covered. However, to obtain treatment you will need to take a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) with you. Please note: Not all UK residents are covered in Denmark, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland. Click on the 'Access to Healthcare Abroad' link below, if you are unsure whether you are covered.