Request for help with photos

clonmel

Lantern Swinger
Gents
Good morning. Long story but a family friend is just about to turn 60 and I want to get him a specific present, I'd appreciate a bit of help if you'd be so kind!!

In a previous life he was in the RN, ground crew on Sea Kings I think, based out of Culdrose and Prestwick. He has a few tired old dits, but his favourite (or at least most often transmitted!!!) is about some time he did on board RFA Fort Victoria, as he reckoned they lived like kings comparative to being on an aircraft carrier, better food, easier working routines etc.

So, what I'd like to do is get a suitable pic of a Sea King landing on the back of Fort Victoria, and get it enlarged and made into a picture, framed etc etc.

I've tried the Defence Images database (I have MoDNet access) and no joy.

Does anyone have any suggestions for reference websites that cater for images such as the one I'm after? A Google / Bing search has proven less than fruitful, as most of the images are low quality and wouldn't lend themselves to being expanded and printed in the manner I am looking for.

TVM in advance for any help.

CM

@clonmel - Have you thought about contacting the ship direct with this request?

A brief letter, addressed to her Captain, would not be ignored and may produce the goods or perhaps point you elsewhere for the desired result.

soleil

War Hero
Re the FAA Museum, they have adopted a new policy of late and I'm not sure that they will assist at this point, although I must say that I found them helpful in the past.

redmonkey

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
I can ask at work as I know a few who have spent a bit of time on there 20 years ago. They might have some pictures but I cannot promise anything.
It is 20 years ago that I was on there for NTG2000.

clonmel

Lantern Swinger
All
Thank you very much for your help, it is much appreciated.

The SKASaC and Spanish Sea King shots I have seen on Google, Soleil thank you ever so much but I do want (if possible) to get a pic of a helo with PW or CU on the tail (he has shown me this in photo albums).

Red Monkey - if you have any pics suitable from sources various that'd be great.

Thanks again to you all for your help.

CM

redmonkey

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
Those i have spoken with have nothing but i have sent out a few emails to others I know.

Would it be possible to give a clue who it is for so that i dont ask the wrong person?
PM is probably the best way.
I spent 3 years on the back of an RFA and 20 years at culdrose. I may know him.

Waspie

War Hero
Just a thought, as it appears what you are after is looking unlikely.
Have you considered a montage of both Sea Kings and RFA Victoria.
OR
If you can source digital images of both, having them 'stitched' or photoshopped together to create an image of SK's and RFA Victoria?

clonmel

Lantern Swinger
Just a thought, as it appears what you are after is looking unlikely.
Have you considered a montage of both Sea Kings and RFA Victoria.
OR
If you can source digital images of both, having them 'stitched' or photoshopped together to create an image of SK's and RFA Victoria?
That is really good thinking, thank you Waspie. A mate of mine is into digital photography in a big way (so much so in fact that he does weddings), I'd not be surprised if his computer suite that he has in his studio could do this.

Waspie

War Hero
That is really good thinking, thank you Waspie. A mate of mine is into digital photography in a big way (so much so in fact that he does weddings), I'd not be surprised if his computer suite that he has in his studio could do this.
I had a basic photo suite that I acquired with an HP printer, it allowed stitching and merging of images.. So they do exist. Also, there is a freeware bit of software called GIMP, (Graphic Image Manipulation Programme), (IIRC). Its a free app very akin to Photoshop only free and is cross platform so will work on Mac, Windows and Linux. Couldn't get into it myself but software is out there. As you say, your mate who does weddings should be be well up on it. Good luck.

clonmel

Lantern Swinger
I had a basic photo suite that I acquired with an HP printer, it allowed stitching and merging of images.. So they do exist. Also, there is a freeware bit of software called GIMP, (Graphic Image Manipulation Programme), (IIRC). Its a free app very akin to Photoshop only free and is cross platform so will work on Mac, Windows and Linux. Couldn't get into it myself but software is out there. As you say, your mate who does weddings should be be well up on it. Good luck.
TVM

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K The Quarterdeck 38
Ali_Ramsey The Fleet Air Arm 14
Ali_Ramsey Gaming 4