report back on the aquaint course at HMS Caledonia

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by will!, Oct 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Havnt had time to write anything upto now,I finished it a couple of weeks ago and have got to say i enjoyed every minute of it!!Hopefully its given me a good insight into what its going to be like at Raleigh,I think i was also lucky enough to have a good bunch of lads,their was 21 i think,i was one of the older ones and i am only 22 but we had a good laugh,managed to take 2 minutes off my 1.5 mile run and did it in 9.23 but the fitness was hard so that i will be working on twice as hard. the foods good,got to visit a minehunter ship which was having some new guns fitted.Cant wait for Raleigh now!
  2. Came back from there a few days ago, had a great time thanks to all the staff there and at Faslane. Seeing HMS Vanguard was a real highlight for me.
    Shame most of the lads there didn't want to be there and got nothing out of it except for a free jolly.
    I was twice the age of some of the kids there but at least I beat half of them on the 1.5 mile run!!!
  3. loved every min of it, definitely more confident and assured about raleigh now, just need to improve the fitness then all i will worry about are the dreaded kit musters, but i suspect i wont be the only one

would recommend rnac to anyone wanting to join
  4. That's worrying! Were they impressed or something?
  5. Thanks for the report, think I will be going to that as soon as I pass my medical which is in 9 days :)
  6. Myself and the two lads who already have starting dates had a great time away. The other lads who went didn't really want to be there as they were sent as part of a course. Bit of a grim lot really, all kids who worked at KFC and thought knob was a big word. The trip was very good to be honest, going to have a look around Faslane was a real eye opener for me. I'd recommend it to anyone who is interested.
  7. So why was the Royal Navy entertaining them?
  8. The staff at HMS Caledonia were less then impressed with the lot that turned up. All kids who had no interest in the Navy, let alone going on boats. To the staff's credit, they dealt with them very well.
    It turns out that they had all been sent there with no say in the matter by their college. They'd been told that they'd be taken around a sub(sic), and that it would be good fun. Cue loads of fart jokes and stupid questions to senior staff.
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As well as acquaint visits, the RNAC centres also run short Look at Life courses for schools/colleges in lieu of work experience. Your careers teacher or course tutor may request group bookings via the nearest AFCO.
  10. Just got back today. Loved it.

Met some cracking lads and lasses.

If i could start tomorrow I would. I just hope this 15th February comes faster!!!

Oh, and Scotish weather..Awful!
  11. Dan

I hope you have not volunteered for Submarines or you could be in Scotland for the next 20 years..