Replace running!

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Honour_Courage_Respect, Nov 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know there's no real substitute for running, however ive injured my foot and it needs some rest! I need to keep on top of my training though, so im wondering whats the best thing to replace it with? Swimming?
    HCR

2. swimming and weights always works for me or is it women and cider ?

3. Water polo....... ;)

4. Cycling, weight training, swimming and Royals favourite............. circuit training. :thumright:

Seriously, its all about the intensity when doing circuits. A 20 minute beasting on a circuit can litteraly leave you a gibbering wreck. Push yourself to the absolute limit and you will most likely see a dramatic improvement in your overall cardiovascular fitness, even though your on a rest from running.

5. Swimming, cycling, x-trainer, depending on the injury

6. I buggered up my knees in years gone by and had a lot of physio to get through. By far the best was Hydro-theraphy. Two of the most helpful exercises I had to do were as follows:

i. Buy some kiddies armbands and [very important] inflate one and stick it on your foot after getting in the water. Now bring your knee up towards your chest and push down in a steady motion to be repeated say twenty times before changing over to the other foot. Repeat the process for increasing periods of time. This will help maintain the muscles in your legs without the impact of hitting the deck.

ii. Also, you can get a life preserver [floaty jacket thingy] which you wear in the pool and then simulate a cycling motion from one end of the pool to the other. Don't be surprised when you get out and find that your legs won't work as you just won't realise how much work you're doing until you're carrying your full weight again.

SF

7. You could try some PHA training it means peripheral heartaction its like circuit training you alternate between an upper body exercise and a lower body exercise.
    legpress 25 reps
    pressups to max
    powerlunges 30 reps
    lat raises 15 reps
    bicep curls 20 reps
    step ups 20 reps
    leg curls 15 reps
    chest press 15 reps
    basic crunch 10 reps
    ab reverse curl 10 reps
    full crunch 10 reps

Go through this 3 times with a two minute rest between each circuit,it should get you huffing and puffing .