Rendition flight stopped in Diego Garcia to fuel

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by PINCH, Feb 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "We Didn't Know said the politicos.."

Oh, please….

Do we not have police customs and immigration officials out there?

Surely the local reps could have put two and two together and come up with an idea of what was going on.

Or are we guilty of sleeping through this vile action.

Quote Miliband said the government had a “deep disappointment†about the late news of the rendition flights, but he said Britain believed the United States acted “in good faith†when it made the initial assurances that no flights had taken place.
    “Secretary Rice has underlined to me the firm U.S. understanding that there will be no rendition through the UK, UK airspace or overseas territories without express British government permission,†he said.
    Ya Right on…
  2. That would be similar from the cold war. If a nuke strike was launched on Europe would the U.S. sit on the fence and sacrifice Europe or press the button.

My money would be sitting on the fence!!
  3. Yeah, SPB, but he was too busy laying on his clicky bed, scuppering a few scoops. Easy life. :dwarf:
  4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I can neither confirm nor deny... 8O
  5. :toilet: WALOB :toilet:

Does it really matter to the citizens of the UK or our Dependant territories if a USA Aircraft lands at a leased USA Base, DG, and refuels, what it carries provided it is not a Citizen of the UK being detained in circumstances which would be illegal on British Sovereign Territory?

6. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Synthetic fuss.
  7. Sending a token Reggy to raise the flag in the morning does not a British base make!

It's a Yank base, FFS!
    They'll never tell us what goes on. More to the point, do we really want to know?

Let's just remain subservient, shall we?
  8. So What!

In our country we would have given them houses, money, top lawyers (paid by the lottery, no doubt), we would not be able to question or charge them without a big uproar from the PC Do-gooders and I would expect even some national papers would stick up for them.

Just look at the recent event where some people were peddling terroist propaganda, downloading how to kill a soldier, how to make a bomb, etc etc.

We were not allowed to do anything about it because they had not actually killed or tried to kill someone. I think it would be a bit too late by then.

The other case of planning to behead a soldier only got through because it was admitted.

There are many more examples

We are too soft and yes they bend the rules

Can we achieve the correct stance,

I doubt it. Not whilst hundreds and thousands of civilian and forces personel are being shot or blown up around the world and the lawyers and quango's are making lots and lots of money.
  9. I lke the cut of your jib sir :thumright:
  10. It may be a yank base but it is British territory.

And no we don't want to know or give a F'
  11. So, a military flight (belonging to one of our allies) lands, refuels, takes off. Why should we get involved. Whatever is on board, if they don't want us to know about it, will be in a 'diplomatic bag' anyway. What do you suggest, sending II Sqn RAFR (SF) out to forcibly board all flights which land there?
  12. I have no doubt that the British on Diego Garcia knew what was going on but turned a blind-eye. Bush keeps his prisoners outside of the USA in order to escape the jurisdiction, checks and balances of the United State's own legal system. Of the hundreds of men held at Guantanamo Bay the majority are innocent of any crimes and indeed only a handful have ever been charged and hundreds have been released with no charge after being held and tortured over several years.

This does not include the 108 men who have died in US custody in Iraq and Afghanistan. Most of them were innocent and most of them died extremely violently

The USA practices systemic and routine torture. The British to their eternal credit do not. We have seen British citizens who have committed no crimes in the UK extradited to the USA under a treaty that the British ratified but which the USA has refused to sign. Innocent men have been taken from the streets of European cities to disappear into the US gulags.

If anyone is so morally corrupt as to consider the use of British territory to aid and abett these activities to be of little consequence then maybe they should read the words of Pastor Neimoller on the Holocaust Memorial:-

First they came for the Jews
    and I did not speak out - because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the communists
    and I did not speak out - because I was not a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists
    and I did not speak out - because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me -
    and by then there was no one left to speak out for me.

Pastor Martin Niemöller

13. Thank you Bergen I thought I was the only one who seemed to care what happend. :thumright: :thumright: :thumright:
  14. Thank you Bergen I thought I was the only one who seemed to care what happend. :thumright: :thumright: :thumright:[/quote]

No Problem Pinch - It's just the usual suspects... Little Englanders to a man. The Iranians capture a few matelots, give them tea and biscuits and confiscate an iPod and they are frothing at the mouth and want to nuke Isfahan. The USA goes off the reservation to such an extent that even the Chief Prosecutor at Guantanamo Bay calls bullshit on the entire deal and these eedjits can't see a problem. :thumright:

15. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Maybe they stopped here because they heard about the cheap Morgan's Spicy Rum... $10 a bottle! 8O
  16. There are Brown Jobs who served in NI who would strongly argue that statement or are we saying cos it was 30 year ago it now does not count?

17. if it was at the house that Jack built i can understand stopping off there,and besides the BIOT police have a very busy social life to be concerned about a can of extremist
  18. It certainly counts Nutty and I can speak with a little bit of knowledge on the subject. Torture was never approved, condoned or authorised in NI and on the very rare occasions that prisoners were abused the hammer came down on the culprits. It came down hard because torture and abuse is ultimately self-defeating.

I can still remember feeling a total cnut when I gave a 15 minute diatribe in support of an RM sergeant who had been weighed-off for putting a brown-carrier bag over a suspect's head. I had argued that there had been nothing wrong with that until my oppo leaned over and told me that the sergeant had certainly put the bag over the suspect's head but had also set fire to it.

Happy Daze :thumright:

19. We're talking here about people who don't play by what we call "rules", IE suicide bombers - if we have to descend to their level to prevent or pre-empt such attacks, then bollox to human rights and all that nonsense - there is a duty to protect the citizens of this country, whose rights to dwell here should come before any "human rights" of any fanatic from another culture who wants to immolate himself. No problems with it at all............
  20. That's about the same price as ASI without such a frequent resupply.

leaving aside whether they were Mil or "commercial" flights, the ICAO Freedoms allow unembarked stop-overs without detailed knowledge of souls on board, beyond numbers. If we start screwing this down, the terrs have another victory.

S**t happens; but I don't approve of Sammy Septic lifting anyone they feel like from wherever they want.