Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remuneration: Service personnel vs Police

KLNA-Cessna-Jockey said:
I wont comment on the fact that it's probably due to all the English subsidies to Scotland that ensured all the Scottish coppers got paid in full then !

Or the fact that Londoners get even more of a subsidy, more than any one else in the UK

Oil_Slick

War Hero
I find it rather interesting that the current and ex-Police posting here seem very happy to debate the minutea of Political Correctness - ethnic diversity recruitment issues in the Police, but seem to have skipped over the basic problems with the current Police - that is, the effective abandonment of Peels Principles upon which our Constabulary was founded. Must be an 'institutional' thing.

And it's now Wednesday morning and I have not seen a single Police Officer/Car since 7.30am Monday round and about or during the 3 coummutes into and out of Pompey.

Oil_Slick said:
I find it rather interesting that the current and ex-Police posting here seem very happy to debate the minutea of Political Correctness - ethnic diversity recruitment issues in the Police, but seem to have skipped over the basic problems with the current Police - that is, the effective abandonment of Peels Principles upon which our Constabulary was founded. Must be an 'institutional' thing.

And it's now Wednesday morning and I have not seen a single Police Officer/Car since 7.30am Monday round and about or during the 3 coummutes into and out of Pompey.

Mind you I used to commute in and out of Pompey in the late 60s before I escaped north and even then one rarely saw a plod during the commute be he/she in a car, ona bike or on foot.

Strange you haven't seen Plod, the commuter routes are normally crawling with breath test patrols this time of year, unless they've done the morning stints and after some time off are going to switch over to the evening shift to catch the office party crowd.

Nutty said:
Oil_Slick said:
asst_dep_to_dep_asst said:
The question here is whether Service people should be paid as much as the police..

Well the more pointed question is:

How many times does the average plod go on patrol with a 1 in 10 chance of being killed or wounded?

When that question is relevant to their position, they can start talking about their pay in the same conversation as that of service pay.

Contributor Mode

Oil Slick

This is the second time you have used this gratuitous argument about the risk servicemen take using stats to show your case. A few of the 170,000 servicemen and woman can be found in a situation where they put themselves in the firing line at any one time. Put Iraq and Afghanistan together maybe 10 to 15000 for six month tour then 18 months back in UK or where ever. Lets say Plod have a 2000 to one chance of getting killed or seriously injured. But over 70% of them are out there 5 out of 7 days for 30 years which rather shortens the odds.

Yes Servicemen should get more pay as should Nurses and Carers but that is not achieved by assisting the government to break a negotiated deal with the Police by supporting them breaking that agreement.

Nutty

Ex Service and like many other ex servicemen ex plod

Slick perhaps some of us have given up trying to discuss when the discussion is only one way.

Nutty

Oil_Slick

War Hero
Maxi_77 said:
Oil_Slick said:

Mind you I used to commute in and out of Pompey in the late 60s before I escaped north and even then one rarely saw a plod during the commute be he/she in a car, ona bike or on foot.

Same here, that's because most of the Constabules from Fratton nick were pounding the beat and saying hello to the the natives on their routine rounds. We used to see a copper down our street during the day and one wandered down the street in the wee small hours…

Maxi_77 said:
KLNA-Cessna-Jockey said:
I wont comment on the fact that it's probably due to all the English subsidies to Scotland that ensured all the Scottish coppers got paid in full then !

Or the fact that Londoners get even more of a subsidy, more than any one else in the UK

Actually London subsidises the rest of UK plc. The City of London furnishes the government's tax coffers with around 40% of its total annual intake - oil revinues raise a fraction of this! When London and SE England (including Pompey) declare UDI we'll focus our tax revinues on ourselves - all 50% of them. :santa:

Eat your heart out Holyrood! :twisted:

Tartan_Army_Sailor

Lantern Swinger
KLNA-Cessna-Jockey said:
It's not purely an English problem - if affects officers in Wales and Northern Ireland too.

At least the Scottish ministers show more honour than those south of the border, with the exception of the Scottish PR!CK we have as PM

I object to you calling him a Scottish Pr!ck. He may be a pr!ick but don't call him a Scottish one. This I believe is racist and you better than anyone one should know better.

And for what it's worth I believe the Police should get their pay backdated, not because I believe the deserve it, but because that is what was agreed.

And as for the different federations, I don't think they should exist. If the Police Federation does not meet everyones needs then, that is something that needs addressed from within. The white hetrosexual male is the most descrimanted against person.

Woman only car insurance, if we had male only you would soon see the PC birgade kicking up a fuss.

The example you give about the disabled person and 2nd floor office. If the job is on the second floor and and the disable person has no way of getting there, then you would not employ them.

thingy said:
Maxi_77 said:
KLNA-Cessna-Jockey said:

Actually London subsidises the rest of UK plc. The City of London furnishes the government's tax coffers with around 40% of its total annual intake - oil revinues raise a fraction of this! When London and SE England (including Pompey) declare UDI we'll focus our tax revinues on ourselves - all 50% of them. :santa:

Eat your heart out Holyrood! :twisted:

That is simply because companies havetheir head offices there and thus get taxed there, the real work is done elsewhere, carry on living in Lodon cuckoo land, the rest of the country supports you, strip out the head offices and the government employees (nothing personal you understand) and there is little left but some gamblers who play the financial markets.

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
It is with utter contempt and disgust that we are now told that the same MP's who refused to be bound by the arbitration process (re: Police Pay negotiations) now want to award themselves a 10% increase over the next three years bringing their average salary to £67,000.

It must be really tough sitting in a nice warm office without the dangers of working shifts, getting assaulted, stabbed, shot at, murdered etc, etc.

"But don't worry, we will still screw you whatever which way we can, next year if you are lucky, we might give you a 2% rise, and, we will go to arbitration and draw it out for a few months so in effect we can then refuse to back date your pay and you will only get 1.5%"

See where this is going.....?

What a complete bunch of *******!

When you think about what is a fair rate of pay for police just think about what MP's get paid!

Annual MP Pay: £60,675
Housing Allowance over £23,083: TAX FREE
London Supplement: £2812
Car Mileage: 40p (for first 10000 miles) 25p (after 10000)
Bike Allowance: (per mile) 20p

PLUS THE BEST PENSION IN THE COUNTRY!!!

:evil:

SPB, you forgot that the MPs have just voted themselves a 10k propaganda budget each so they can spin there way into another term in office. I'm tempted to call them cnuts but, they are quite useful.

brendan498

War Hero
i have no respect for the police they say they want fair pay for fair work,well what a cushy number they have,give them a rifle push them out to war for a PJT and ask if you still want to do it

reduce the management structure

A National Police Force

Pay tapered to developement and results

and thewy have to remember they serve the public not the reverse

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Brendan: It is clear you have not read previous posts or read the facts behind the story, but the issue is not that they're demanding more money (don't we all!), but that their pay rise was negotiated with the Home Office, who have now reneged on the original offer.

And despite their wish to serve the public, their policies and work methods are driven by their political masters and ever-changing directives, who have not appreciation of what it means to be a Police Officer.

More paperwork and diversity training do not make a beter police force, which is what the officers want. But their hands are tied...

:roll:

Brendan, A great deal of public dissatisfaction with the police stems from the imposition of politically driven targets. Tying police pay to performance (targets) will only make matters worse.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS National Crime Agency Remuneration and Review Body remit: 2021 to 2022 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Review Body on Doctors' and Dentists' Remuneration remit letter: 2021 to 2022 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Remit letter to the Police Remuneration Review Body: 2021 to 2022 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New members appointed to the National Crime Agency Remuneration Review Bodies MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Remit letter for Police Remuneration Review Body 2020 Northern Ireland pay round MoD News 0
MoD_RSS National Crime Agency Remuneration and Review Body remit 2020 to 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Remit letter to the Police Remuneration Review Body: 2020 to 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Review Body on Doctors' and Dentists' Remuneration remit letter: 2020 to 2021 MoD News 0
T Special Boat Squadron - remuneration The Corps 0
MoD_RSS Issue with Companies House email reminder service now resolved MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Appointment of Civil Service Commissioner for Northern Ireland. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS HM The Queen has appointed Nick Hurd, Jacquie Nnochiri and Deborah Tavana as Board Members of the National Citizen Service Trust MoD News 0
MoD_RSS HMRC appoints new Director General for customer service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Service Complaints Ombudsman Appointment announcement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New curriculum and campus to improve Civil Service skills and expertise MoD News 0
N Help with dads naval service. History 1
MoD_RSS IT maintenance disrupts IPO service to search and classify trade mark goods and services MoD News 0
MoD_RSS IPO new search UK trade mark classes service now available MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Extraordinary public service at centre of New Year Honours List 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Service update - CICA festive opening hours MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New trade barriers service launched to help British businesses export internationally MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Embassy in Santiago receives Civil Service Award MoD News 0
C Ww1 service record History 0
MoD_RSS Insolvency Service work recognised at Turnaround, Restructuring and Insolvency Awards MoD News 0
M Looking to Join (2nd time) - from Prison Service Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
N Locating a service number History 7
mick1199 Runs ashore and the submarine service Submariners 37
MoD_RSS UKHO announces the release of the Seabed Mapping Service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 10 new satellites to be built in Glasgow in next three years as part of new innovative constellation service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fish Export Service trial period MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Over 7,000 businesses register for Trader Support Service MoD News 0
Lemacque Service Record Help History 42
MoD_RSS Malaysia: Remembrance Sunday memorial service goes virtual MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Remembrance Sunday service held online to honour the fallen MoD News 0
MoD_RSS HMCTS online event, 4 Nov 2020: An update on the digital family public law service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fire and Rescue Service Boats report published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Insolvency Service newsletter: Autumn 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS IPO launches trade mark pre-apply service MoD News 0
M what does the x mean in service number Nearest & Dearest 27
MoD_RSS Disabled people to benefit from better journeys thanks to service station funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Next steps for future tri-service recruiting programme revealed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Disclosure and Barring Service makes senior appointments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chief Constable commends officers and rewards long service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Making the Civil Service a Great Place to Work for Veterans MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil Service starts guaranteed interview scheme for veterans MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New space service to revolutionise photography at sporting events MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Lord Chancellor’s Speech: Opening of the Legal Year Service MoD News 0
soleil RN: "Cardigan Bay Chef Nears 50 Years' Service In The RFA" RFA 2
MoD_RSS New digital service to improve home energy performance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Online duplicate log book service launched MoD News 0