Remembrance

Chris P

War Hero
View attachment 55476
Hull Royal Navy memorial at 11 o'clock this morning.
Only myself and my wife there.
I placed the cross you can see in the middle above the wreath and when I got home I got a message from my son. He had placed the other cross just behind the wreath 10 minutes before we got there.
For you sun dodgers, 2 of the wreaths are from the Hull Submariners Association. Think one may be last years, amazed it was still there.
When I left in '63 you would always see deep sea trawlers in the Humber estuary coming or going to the northern fishing grounds and the terrible conditions they worked in and sitting alongside almost into the city centre.
I would like to think that there is still a healthy respect for the RN by these tough trawlermen and their families especially after the Cod Wars which hopefully would account for the last years wreath still being there.

Sumo

War Hero
It is approaching that time of year again,

For those that think it glorifies war?

They may forget, I will not

248559545_387474009755429_536389928884255823_n.jpg

huwshpis

War Hero
I now have 4 enamel poppies with service badges on my lanyard:

Poppy + KRRC cap badge - Great Uncle W Ll Evans, WWI (survived the Somme, captivity in Germany and died in the Spanish flu);
Poppy and Merchant Navy badge - Father and his brother, both on oil tankers during WWII;
Poppy and RAF badge - 2 Uncles in WWII, only one came back;
Poppy and RN surface fleet badge - me.

I remember.

Waspie

War Hero
Well, I have none. But I always buy a poppy(s).
In my mind I always remember those before me who sadly, because of our career choice will never see another day, won't share what we share.
If we are honest, I think most servicemen see each day as Remembrance Day.
For me it's not 'We will Remember' it's I won't forget!

Sumo

War Hero
Condolences mate. Sadly it's not just the actual conflicts that take lives as you say.
I think I heard a quote PTSD took more Vietnam vets than the conflict did.
Very sad, they train the services to fight but not how to become a non fighter.

Waspie

War Hero
I really feel for those suffering from that era. PTSD/shell shock, call it what you will. That was the time when have a couple of beers and get over it was the limit of treatment. Only later did the military start to understand the mental side of military life and how it impacted on later life.
I was diagnosed with PTSD, and I have never been in combat!! However, years in SAR can do that. I'm lucky, I only have a very mild form. Even then, the treatment was pathetic. Just some old maid listening to you. I flashed up as the first thing she said was we'll see what meds to put you on!!! I didn't want nor need meds. I simply wanted my repressed memories dealt with. It's a shit, wasn't until a couple of years ago my wife blurted out how much of a shit I was because of it. Short temper, overly emotional all in a few seconds. I feel for the lads who are really fukced up. Loads of Pongo's at Bovington, so many marriages broken.
Civvies really have no idea what a life in the services can be like. Forced into situations that most folk would run away from. Pushed to personal limits and beyond.
Sorry for the rant - it's off my chest now!!!!

Last edited:

Alfacharlie

War Hero
I really feel for those suffering from that era. PTSD/shell shock, call it what you will. That was the time when have a couple of beers and get over it was the limit of treatment. Only later did the military start to understand the mental side of military life and how it impacted on later life.
I was diagnosed with PTSD, and I have never been in combat!! However, years in SAR can do that. I'm lucky, I only have a very mild form. Even then, the treatment was pathetic. Just some old maid listening to you. I flashed up as the first thing she said was we'll see what meds to put you on!!! I didn't want nor need meds. I simply wanted my repressed memories dealt with. It's a shit, wasn't until a couple of years ago my wife blurted out how much of a shit I was because of it. Short temper, overly emotional all in a few seconds. I feel for the lads who are really fukced up. Loads of Pongo's at Bovington, so many marriages broken.
Civvies really have no idea what a life in the services can be like. Forced into situations that most folk would run away from. Pushed to personal limits and beyond.
Sorry for the rant - it's off my chest now!!!!
My mrs has joined a group chat to try and understand the military. Fair play to her.

Lemacque

Badgeman
We employed a pongo with PTSD a few years back, he had tours of Bosnai & Afgan, and told us some horrendous stories. I interviewed him, and he had the stereo typical symptoms of twitchyness, nervousness, etc. But, we decided to give him a break. It worked well for a while until it became apparent that his personal life was taking a nose-dive; he was hanging out with druggies and losers. One of them ended up stealing his company credit card, and he lost his job over it sadly. But, it was an amicable split; he understood that he wasn't doing himself any favours. He had been involved with Combat Stress for a short while beforehand, and we had them in the office giving a presentation about how to understand & cope with someone with PTSD. It was really good, and he went on to be a full time volunteer with them to help people like him get the break we gave him & stick with it. I felt bad for him as we really wanted to help, but in the end, we just couldn't. These guys do not get the help they deserve. Instead, they get cast aside almost as an embarrassment by the MoD. I know things are getting better, but not good enough sadly. If we stopped trying to help the rest of the world and concentrated on ourselves for a while maybe..

Latest Threads