Remembrance

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Nice to see the one Sumo posted includes the Merchant Navy, my paternal grandfather was MN in WW2 and had two ships blown out of the water under him. As he was on oil tankers his ships were always a high priority for the u-boats.

huwshpis

War Hero
Almost SNAP! @WreckerL.

My father was on tankers in WW2 (as 2/O and Chief Officer). He survived 2x torpedoing and 1x bombing, then went on to become senior master of the Esso UK tanker fleet.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
My father was MN on the Arctic Convoys. Unfortunately only found out shortly before he died. For some reason he didn't talk about it.........

I have all his paybooks and he also did the Med - an AA course at Gib!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
My father was MN on the Arctic Convoys. Unfortunately only found out shortly before he died. For some reason he didn't talk about it.........

I have all his paybooks and he also did the Med - an AA course at Gib!
My Grandad never spoke about it to the family but he did to me a little bit after I'd joined up. I have his medals which include the Atlantic Star, Italy Star and Burma Star. I know the criteria for each but not the background for his qualification for them.

skyvet

GCM
An apt time I think to thank all those currently serving, both above and below the waves. We old and bold have done our bit, and now you've taken the reins, you're doing a great job! BZ

Latest Threads