Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remembrance Sunday

Wannabe_Officer

Midshipman
Not sure this is the right sub-forum, but here goes.

I am the sole URNU member in college and so am supposed to be laying a wreath alongside an RAF chappie at my college chapel, and I've never done it before. Is there some written RN protocol for how wreath laying should be carried out? Or, indeed, could any of you give me a few pointers to stop me making an idiot of myself? The Chaplain of the Fleet is preaching and I imagine he's seen enough Remembrance Day services to spot an amateur.

I shouldn't wear head dress inside the church, yes? Not sure where the wreath is to be laid, but if it's somewhere inside, does this mean I shouldn't salute? And if I do salute, the RN expects shortest way up, shortest way down, doesn't it? Final question which occurs to me for now is when, if at all, do I need to salute the chaplain?

Wannabe_Officer

Midshipman
@alfred_the_great I know I should have asked. But at least I have the morning service to learn and ask any URNU people about it before my wreath laying in the evening.

@purple_twiglet OK. I can do that

@rosinacarley No. Does that make a difference?

Chaz

MIA
Wannabe_Officer said:
@alfred_the_great I know I should have asked. But at least I have the morning service to learn and ask any URNU people about it before my wreath laying in the evening.

@purple_twiglet OK. I can do that

@rosinacarley No. Does that make a difference?

I guess it would do with regarding the wearing of headgear indoors.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Purple_twiglet said:
Don't drop the wreath!

Step forward, lean down, place it, step back and pause then I always dip my head smartly. Then step back into the line - simples!

My bold - since I'm now a civvy and wear no headgear, when I lay the wreath on Sunday, (on a Lt Cdr's War Grave) the head gets dipped as a mark of respect.

Hope this helps!

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Surely those laying the wreaths, be the service indoors or out, wear headress?

If that is the case, you should also salute.

cadetsmum

Lantern Swinger
Blackrat

I thought the protocol was to take hats off (as you entered the church) but put back on going outside.

cadetsmum

Lantern Swinger
rosinacarley said:
cadetsmum said:
Blackrat

I thought the protocol was to take hats off (as you entered the church) but put back on going outside.

Not if you're a girl.

I think that if you are a service woman then you are expected to remove your hat / beret.

If the woman is not then she doesn't.

Joe_Crow

War Hero
cadetsmum said:
rosinacarley said:
cadetsmum said:
Blackrat

Not if you're a girl.

I think that if you are a service woman then you are expected to remove your hat / beret.

Sorry Cadetsmum, but you are wrong. A woman does not remove her headgear in church, a man does. A servicewoman does not remove her headgear in church, a serviceman does.

Wannabe_Officer

Midshipman
Seems there's a bit of confusion, but for a male almost everyone seems to agree, no cap indoors even for laying the wreath, and, therefore, I suppose no salute. I'll find out what the general URNU policy is soon enough, although it's the kind of thing I'd imagine the RN has written guidelines for.

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
cadetsmum said:
Blackrat

You could be right. I've always paraded outdoors you see so what would i know! However, surely the standard bearers & wreath layers wear head dress inside? I'm happy to be corrected.

Joe_Crow

War Hero
Blackrat said:
cadetsmum said:
Blackrat

You could be right. I've always paraded outdoors you see so what would i know! However, surely the standard bearers & wreath layers wear head dress inside? I'm happy to be corrected.
BR 3 PART 6 said:
3825. Wearing of Headdress
a. The wearing of headdress on different occasions reflects a combination of the cultural etiquette of British society, Naval custom and religious practices. As a guideline, the norms of formal etiquette should be followed. Further comments are given in the paragraphs that follow. These highlight the differences between those whose customs require removing the head-dress as a sign of respect, especially in religious circumstances (the European Christian norm); and those who cover the head as a sign of religious respect (Jews and others under varying circumstances). In addition:
(1) A male member of the Jewish faith may wear a dark, plain-pattern yarmulke whenever he removes other headdress.
(2) Special details for adherents of the Sikh religion are contained in Para 3826.
b. Naval and military funerals. Headdress is to be removed by the bearer party (excluding those participating in a Jewish service) while the casket is being carried.
c. Summary trial. The headdress of an accused member shall be removed prior to a summary trial. Prior to the administration of oaths, all members present shall be ordered to remove headdress. On completion of the administration of oaths, members present, other than the accused, shall be ordered to replace headdress.
d. Court Martial. Headdress shall be worn or removed in accordance with the directions of the Judge Advocate who determines the etiquette of the court.
e. Consecrated buildings. All Naval Service personnel shall observe the appropriate religious customs with regard to the wearing of headdress in a consecrated building. The one exception is that headdress shall be worn when on duty as a member of a vigil during the lying in state of a deceased dignitary or as a member of a colour party when depositing or receiving Colours.
f. Female Officers and Ratings. They are to wear their headdress when in a consecrated building at all times.
g. Parades. Headdress shall be removed, when so ordered, by all personnel on parade, except for females, musicians, members of colour parties and those who are adherents of the Sikh religion. A male member of the Jewish faith who wishes to wear a yarmulke when other headdress is removed (see Para 3825 a sub para (1)), may be authorised to retain normal headdress on parade when others remove theirs to avoid drill complications.

Your comment about standard bearers rang a bell, Blackrat. You were nearly right too.

cadetsmum

Lantern Swinger
thanks Joe for that ....I stand corrected!

(always ready to admit when I'm wrong........unique feature in a woman?)

cadetsmum said:
rosinacarley said:
cadetsmum said:
Blackrat

Not if you're a girl.

I have always worn my hat during church services, including a funeral that I went to in rig.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Public asked not to gather at the Cenotaph for Remembrance Sunday due to coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Remembrance Day in Thailand: Sunday 8 November 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Remembrance Sunday 2019, Diego Suarez in Madagascar: Phil Boyle’s speech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces lead nation in Cenotaph service on Remembrance Sunday MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Embassy Ankara Defence Attaché Piers Strudwick’s message for the Remembrance Sunday 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Charity regulator helps the public give confidently ahead of Remembrance Sunday MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prague Remembrance Sunday ceremony 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Remembrance Sunday Service, Singapore MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Remembrance Day in Thailand: Sunday 10 November 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Remembrance Sunday Address MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Remembrance Sunday 2016: Theresa May's message MoD News 0
Snorkel85 Remembrance Sunday etiquette Bases / Shore Est 35
S Remembrance Sunday The Quarterdeck 9
L Remembrance Sunday Service. The Fleet 9
soleil BBC1 - Countryfile - "Remembrance Edition" - Sunday, 6th November 2011 History 0
Seaweed Remembrance Sunday: H42 is Still On Patrol Submariners 8
ropedope remembrance sunday International 7
MoD_RSS Remembrance Day luncheon remembers service and sacrifice of Veterans in Ghana. MoD News 0
soleil Portsmouth News: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: Royal Navy, RAF & Army Form Up For Stunning Remembrance Day Tribute On Deck" The Fleet 3
MoD_RSS Remembrance Day 2019 in Kyiv MoD News 0
Sumo Remembrance Current Affairs 32
MoD_RSS Highways England and community plant poppies along Remembrance Way MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK & Commonwealth Services of Remembrance in Poland 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: International Holocaust Remembrance Day 2019: Foreign Secretary's Speech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: United Kingdom Defence Adviser's Speech at 2017's Remembrance Day Luncheon MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Ministers for the UK Government in Wales to mark Remembrance Day MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Welsh Secretary pays tribute to Armed Forces at Welsh Field of Remembrance MoD News 0
janner Submariners Remembrance 2017 Submariners 8
D 'Remembrance' 1982 film screening in Plymouth Nov 2017 The Quarterdeck 3
MoD_RSS News story: Armed Forces join The Queen as she leads the UK in Remembrance MoD News 10
A Remembrance day service Current Affairs 5
MoD_RSS News story: Garden of Remembrance officially opens at former RAF Lyneham Base MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Welsh Secretary marks Remembrance Day at The Royal Mint MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Tunisia attack: memorial and Service of Remembrance MoD News 0
Joint_Force_Harrier Remembrance Parades Current Affairs 82
trehorn Nice Touch. Festival of Remembrance Poppy Girl Reunion. Current Affairs 19
pompeyexpat Quick question re: Remembrance service The Quarterdeck 2
soleil Scotsman: "Royal Oak’s New White Ensign For Remembrance Day" History 1
soleil Pomepy News: "Portsmouth Sailors Turn Their Caps Red For Remembrance Day" The Fleet 0
soleil YouTube: "Royal Navy Patrol Service - Remembrance Service October 5th 2013" History 3
Bad CO Remembrance Surprise Surprise Social & Reunions 0
Ageing_Gracefully Remembrance day auctions on ARRSE Charity 0
soleil "Building Work Starts On A New Remembrance Gallery in Portsmouth Historic Dockyard" Bases / Shore Est 1
soleil Herald: "Submariners To Hold A Service Of Remembrance" Submariners 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp S/M Memorial Remembrance Parade Sun 4th Nov Submariners 2
MoD_RSS IN PICTURES: Remembrance 2011 Current Affairs 0
soleil 'Millionaire' Remembrance Special - 9/11/2011 - Featuring Lt Gary Beels Charity 5
oldseadog Blyth: Submariners Service of Remembrance Submariners 0
oldseadog Service of Remembrance in Blyth 6th November Submariners 0
Naval_Gazer Remembrance Week coverage of RN Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 0