Remembrance Sunday

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Wannabe_Officer, Nov 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not sure this is the right sub-forum, but here goes.

I am the sole URNU member in college and so am supposed to be laying a wreath alongside an RAF chappie at my college chapel, and I've never done it before. Is there some written RN protocol for how wreath laying should be carried out? Or, indeed, could any of you give me a few pointers to stop me making an idiot of myself? The Chaplain of the Fleet is preaching and I imagine he's seen enough Remembrance Day services to spot an amateur.

I shouldn't wear head dress inside the church, yes? Not sure where the wreath is to be laid, but if it's somewhere inside, does this mean I shouldn't salute? And if I do salute, the RN expects shortest way up, shortest way down, doesn't it? Final question which occurs to me for now is when, if at all, do I need to salute the chaplain?

2. I presume you're at either Oxford, Cambridge or Newcastle URNU; I know your CO in each case, and I would've hoped you asked them when you got tasked with this detail.....

http://www.youtube.com/user/news672#p/u/20/i9OhgGntfdc

Follow them, they tend not to go wrong....

3. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Don't drop the wreath!

Step forward, lean down, place it, step back and pause. Then step back into the line - simples!

4. Are you a girl?

5. @alfred_the_great I know I should have asked. But at least I have the morning service to learn and ask any URNU people about it before my wreath laying in the evening.

@purple_twiglet OK. I can do that

@rosinacarley No. Does that make a difference?

6. I guess it would do with regarding the wearing of headgear indoors.

7. My bold - since I'm now a civvy and wear no headgear, when I lay the wreath on Sunday, (on a Lt Cdr's War Grave) the head gets dipped as a mark of respect.

Hope this helps!

8. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Surely those laying the wreaths, be the service indoors or out, wear headress?

If that is the case, you should also salute.

9. Blackrat

I thought the protocol was to take hats off (as you entered the church) but put back on going outside.

10. Not if you're a girl.

11. I think that if you are a service woman then you are expected to remove your hat / beret.

If the woman is not then she doesn't.

12. Sorry Cadetsmum, but you are wrong. A woman does not remove her headgear in church, a man does. A servicewoman does not remove her headgear in church, a serviceman does.

13. Seems there's a bit of confusion, but for a male almost everyone seems to agree, no cap indoors even for laying the wreath, and, therefore, I suppose no salute. I'll find out what the general URNU policy is soon enough, although it's the kind of thing I'd imagine the RN has written guidelines for.

14. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You could be right. I've always paraded outdoors you see so what would i know! However, surely the standard bearers & wreath layers wear head dress inside? I'm happy to be corrected.

15. Your comment about standard bearers rang a bell, Blackrat. You were nearly right too.

16. thanks Joe for that ....I stand corrected!

(always ready to admit when I'm wrong........unique feature in a woman?)

17. I have always worn my hat during church services, including a funeral that I went to in rig.