Remembrance Sunday etiquette

Discussion in 'Bases / Shore Est' started by Snorkel85, Nov 5, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Planning to attend my local commemorations this Sunday, just in my personal capacity rather than as an official part of the parade. I've had some people tell me I should wear 1s and others say smart civilian rig.

Are there any rules/guidance on this? Just started my phase 2 and the boss is off sick so can't ask him. I'd appreciate some advice as I don't want to look disrespectful by doing the wrong thing.

Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong place.

2. Smart civilian rig wearing a poppy with pride.

Speak to some of the older generation over a pint afterwards.

3. Go in rig.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Number One uniform is entirely appropriate.

• Like Like x 1
  5. If you want to wear rig, wear rig.

Be warned though, you'll be subject to bow wave, tiddly bow and bell bottom dits from very old ex matelots. This is a small price to pay for ludicrous amounts of the opposite sex hanging off you come 2100 as your rig transitions into the instatrap 2000.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    • Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Dont forget to tell the birds that you cant wear your many medals in public in uniform as the missions you won them on are classified top secret burn before reading, but you take your martinis shaken and not stirred ;-)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

'Leading Chef Smudger Smith, Harrier Pilot - Shore Call, Gangway...'

• Like Like x 2
  8. Trainer

Oh, and by the way, you'll head the parade - the only humans in front of you should be the town band. You get and uppity crabs or pongos in MTP try it on, just ask the parade commander for a seniority check. Put the RAF back where they belong, just alongside the St John Ambulance.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. [QUOTE="Trainer, post: 1288805, member: 1816Put the RAF back where they belong, just behind the St John Ambulance.[/QUOTE]

Fixed!

• Like Like x 2

10. Fixed![/QUOTE]
    Beat me to that one Sonar :)

11. That's my call sign :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. And when the Army have failed to clear the war memorial of leaves prior to the service, and a veteran with one arm in a sling shuffles out to clear the leaves, one handed, just before the wreath laying the correct etiquette is to stand rock steady at attention and merely think bad thoughts.

13. Depends where you are, a Sailor always look fantastic in the middle of landlocked "RAF Huntingdonshire" (one of our members has a Mine Warfare Speciallist young un).

Cant wait till Sunday to walk into the pub afterwards and watching the crabs getting back on the bus upto RAF Wyton after a cup of tea (only) with the mayor ;) (Just before he joins us in the Pub).

14. Thanks all. Think I'll go with civvies as I'm gash at marching and don't want to distract from the veterans - think I'll feel more morally entitled to turn up in rig once I've done a deployment.

Also as the girlfriend will be there the instatrap 2000 effect would be sadly wasted.

15. If you have a RNA group, join up with them, they would be over the moon having a Serving Member in rig, any where near Huntingdon (Cambs)?

16. Trainer

1) Which Phase 2 pipeline has produced you so that you are Gash at marching? For shame.

2) Get your 1s on and your won't have to put your hand in your pocket at the bar all day. You'll be poured out of the Legion into the street.

3) So what if your top Doris is with you. Pull another Crocadillohippopig, take both of them home, and go for a Rum fuelled Big 3!

17. We always have a few in rig at our wreath laying, as we have a short march from the assembly point to the memorial, those in rig fall in with the RBL as front rank (we're only a small place but always get a good turn out).

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ninja_Stoker

As the only matelot in rig at my local church memorial service, usually - I don't do any marching or wreath laying, nor do I go to the pub afterwards. There is no one-upmanship, the local Air Cadets take the lead with regard the stampy, shouty, marchy stuff and very good they are too.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is everyone marks the occasion their own way, but as a service person, number one uniform is entirely appropriate.

19. Ninja, perhaps you could answer a few questions I had regarding the poppy and number ones. I asked some of the chaps at my URNU but no one seemed to know.

1) Why do the regulations state to put them in the button hole? The British Legion traditionally said to avoid this as the button hole was reserved for carnations or other displays of gaiety, whereas the poppy is a more sombre display of remembrance.

2) Why do many units go negative leaves? Pointing the leaf to eleven o'clock seems to me an important part of the symbolism of the poppy.

I understand that the RBL has become a little more liberal with poppy etiquette over the years and is now happy simply to have people wear them. However one would have thought that those who drew up the dress regulations would have some regard for the tradition of the poppy?

20. Ninja_Stoker

To be honest, if everyone wearing the same uniform wears the poppy in the same place it looks, erm, more uniform.

With regard the leaf, buttonhole, etc., whilst appreciating people want to be respectful & "get it right", if anyone is so churlish as to criticise anyone for taking the trouble to wear a poppy in the first place, then I believe it's entirely appropriate to give them a disdainful sideways glance, dwelling a pause of two marching paces, before saying nothing but imagining them painfully indisposed.

• Funny Funny x 1