Remembering the Battle of Trafalgar

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by tomcat24, Oct 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Remembering the Battle of Trafalgar | Royal Navy

The anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar will be commemorated on Royal Navy ships operating around the world, including:

• HMS Daring in Australia
    • HMS Lancaster in the Caribbean
    • HMS Westminster in India
    • HMS Penzance and
    • HMS Dragon in the Mediterranean
    • The Response Force Task Group in the Gulf
    Also taking time to remember this historic event will be:

• 40 Commando Royal Marines training in the Mojave Desert, California
    • Elements of 45 Commando training in Cameroon
    • The Lead Commando Group on 42 Commando currently deployed with the Response Force Task Group in the Gulf

2. And my office in Cambridge Airport!

I will be letting the ex and serving crabs know the only thing flying was cannon balls and sails! :)

Will also be celebrating the 28th anniversary of joining up.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I celebrated Traf Night, and now I'm in a world of pain.

4. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

I had Up Spirits today in the Wardroom at HMCS Bytown here in Ottawa.

The old fella got his measures mixed up and as first in the queue I got the grog measure of pure rum ie 3 parts. He realized his mistake and swopped them but I was well away at that point. Very warm inside.

On the day I will have another Toast for the Corp Memorable Dates. Must keep up the traditions etc etc.

5. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Pickle Night in Drake tonight, one of my favourite nights of the year.

• Like Like x 2
  6. I attended the Traf Night on WARRIOR last night, and it was brillant. Going home to Spain tomorrow to get ready for our local Traf Night Dinner on Monday, coincidentally my v6.0 special day!

7. Always a splendid night at Cambridge. Took a lot of effort to set up the mess but well worth it!

• Like Like x 1
  8. I seriously think the navy misses a trick with Traf night. Every other service has a specific night set aside to get smashed and is a full service event not just Officers. The navy should promote this to JRs and make it in to a kind of corps birthday event. Too many JRs have little pride in naval history and we have more history than most other arms do.

• Like Like x 2
  9. I will be CELEBRATING Trafalgar day, not sure if it's PC or not, but it was a proud day for all concerned, shame we can't mount another event that stops the rest of the World taking on the British Navy for over 100 years!

10. Simple, get rid of the Air Staff!!! :)

11. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Who won?

10 bc's!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  12. Found this to be good:

BBC News - The brutal world of the Nelson-era Navy

BBC online magazine, promoting the opening of a permanent Traff display at the National Maritime Museum. Nicely presented article with visuals to accompany the audio clip.

13. I'll be raising a glass to the immortal memory of my great great great great great grandfather, Midshipman James Campbell of the Bellerophon, together with that Nelson bloke who hogged all the attention that day by getting slotted. Signal Midshipman were the heroes that day I tell you....

14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Don't you remember?

Actually, if memory serves correctly, I seem to remember an RGJ RSM proudly telling me that his cap badge had a Navy Crown at the base, symbolising the fact that there were Pongo sharp-shooters serving on British war canoes at the time. Apparently they were on our side too.

Image5.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  15. But they only got the battle honour for Copenhagen 1801?? *mischievous smirk*

• Like Like x 1
  16. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Every day is indeed a school day!