Remembering E18

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by DavenportR, Jun 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Today, June 2nd 2011, is the 95th anniversary of the loss of E18 in the Baltic, off the coast of Estonia. This year, today is also Ascension Day and Reverend Gustav Piir will be leading the service at 18:00 (15:00 GMT) in Puhavaimu Kirik, the Church of the Holy Spirit in Tallinn, home of the E18 Memorial.

Gustav will include the 33 members of the crew in his prayers, and I hope you may also be able to pause for a minute to remember:

Chief Petty Officer Edwin Albert Taylor Bagg
    Leading Seaman William George Bass
    Petty Officer Frederick Clack
    Sub-Lieutenant Douglas Nowell Colson, DSC, RNR
    Stoker 1st Class Percy Duffield
    Leading Telegraphist Clement Harry Edwards
    Stoker 1st Class Ernest Alfred Fox
    Engine Room Artificer 2nd Class Maurice Harold Fuller
    Telegraphist George Gaby
    Engine Room Artificer James Kerr Galloway, RNR
    Able Seaman Cyril Francis Godward
    Leading Stoker Thomas Edwin Guest
    Lieutenant-Commander Robert Crosby Halahan, RN
    Stoker 1st Class Albert George Hall
    Leading Stoker Herbert Thomas Harris
    Engine Room Artificer 3rd Class Charles William Holland
    Stoker 1st Class Charles Hunt
    Lieutenant Walter Luke Landale, RN
    Able Seaman Frank Ladbrooke Maddox
    Chief Telegraphist Fyodor Nikolaevich Markovsky, Imperial Russian Navy
    Stoker 1st Class Percy James Peter Nye
    Signalman Ivan Yefimovich Pantyukhov, Imperial Russian Navy
    Leading Stoker James Reuben Percy
    Leading Stoker Arthur Percy Phillips
    Lieutenant Vasiliy Mikhailovich Polykarpov, Imperial Russian Navy
    Able Seaman William George Powell
    Able Seaman Horace Edward Pritchett
    Leading Seaman Ernest William Ruaux
    Chief Stoker Samuel Arthur Sheppard
    Engine Room Artificer 1st Class William Chadwick Spencer
    Petty Officer Charles William Turall
    Able Seaman Sydney Augustus Welsh
    Leading Seaman Frederick White

We will remember them.

E18 - Crew (aboard Maidstone).jpg
    Photo courtesy of RN Submarine Museum, Gosport

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Davenportr, do you have a family connection with E18?

3. Yes - that is E18 leaving Reval (now Tallinn) for the last time, on May 25th 1916.

Not sure about the bit that says "routine exercises" - the next day she put a torpedo into the German destroyer V100 and blew the bow off... : )

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  4. Yes - Robert Halahan was my grandmother's first husband. After he was killed, she married my grandfather in 1918.

5. I've just stumbled across this thread by mere chance. What a small world we live in.

Lt Cdr Robert Crosby Halahan RN is my great great-uncle. He's one of many Halahan's to have served in the Royal Navy these past 200 years! His brother, Capt Henry Crosby Halahan RN DSO, died only two years after him during the Zeebrugge Raid in 1918.

6. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

The conning tower of her sister boat E17 can be seen on a plinth at the RN Submarine Museum.

All the other boats (Es and Cs) in the Baltic with he rhad to be scuttled when the Soviets took over.

The most famous of the COs was Max Horton (E9). Cdr(SM) was Cromie who was shot on the steps of the British Embassy.
    The other ‘E’ COs included Vaughan Jones (E9 after Horton), Fenner (E1) Laurence (E1), Goodhart (E8 then E19 vice Cromie), and Blacklock; the 'C's Downie and Todd (C26), Sealy (C27), Satow (C32), Stanley (C35),and Ashmore (C35; he married a Russian woman).

The whole story is quite fascinating including how the boats got into the Baltic in the first place - the Es by sea, the Cs transported to north Russia and then sent by canal and rail.

For the finding of the wreck of E19 see
    http://www.makatilocal.com/wreck-of-wwi-submarine-turns-up-after-90-years/

7. janner

Not forgetting E11 with Naismith VC

8. Although in the Baltic for a short spell, E11 was in the dardanelles. That's where Nasmith got his VC.

9. Isn't that amazing? It is a small world, it really is.

That must mean that you and DavenportR would exist on each other's family trees. You aren't blood relatives, but you are 'related'.

If you click on Davenport's name, you will see how to send him/her a private message, Milo. You could introduce yourself.

10. janner

A distant relative of mine died whilst serving in the E11, his graves in Lyme Regis cemetary, I'm still trying to find out how he ended up there, with little success, I can only assume that he was wounded or ill and put ashore before E11 went to the Dardanelles.

11. Janner

Have you applied for his Death Certificate?

12. janner

Not sure of the pro's and Con's of that Sol, as I said he is a very distant relative, the strange thing is that no one ever mentioned him dispite, as far as I know us being the only two in Lyme that served in boats, you would have thought that it would have come up. I only found out by chance because I was visiting the cemetary to check Mums grave and noticed that some of the headstones had been cleaned, they were the CWGC one's.

Went over and read the closest one, (I'm not concerned about Persec, most of them that would wish me harm know where I live)

From the CWGC site

Name:HODDER, ALBERT GEORGEInitials:A GNationality:United KingdomRank:petty Officer 1st ClassRegiment/Service:Royal NavyUnit Text:H.M. Submarine E.11.Age:36Date of Death:04/02/1915Service No:180596Additional information:Son of George and Mary Hodder, of 20, Mill Green, Lyme Regis, Dorset.Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:C. I. D.Cemetery:LYME REGIS CEMETERY

It was quite uncanny as Dad was also Albert Hodder and a Stoker PO in WW2, though he served in the RNPS and not Boats. I have tried the normal internet searches and gone to the keeper of records at the Submarine Museum, with no luck as to the circumstance of his death. Unfortuneately most engine room ratings records were lost somewhere along the way.

Any suggestions welcome

13. Linley & Jim Hooper's family history - Person Page 381

According to this website I found, Robert Halahan's wife, Gwladys Mabel Gwatkin-Williams, married a Robert Clutterbuck Davenport on the 2nd October 1917 at Stebbington in Hampshire, just over a year after Robert was lost at sea.
    I presume this information is correct, seeing as your username on this forum matches your grandfather's name. :)
    This would mean that you indeed have Halahan's fairly close in your family tree, as Soleil pointed out, since you would have a half-uncle, Robert Arthur Crosby Halahan, and half-aunt, Carina May Halahan.

It's pretty amazing how much information can be found online. :)

14. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Who is the rating sporting the beard and what is the medal on his chest?

Edit, and the same for the officer just right of center?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  15. Janner

I have just been looking at the Register of Deaths for the first quarter of 1915.

I can't be totally sure that this is the right gentleman, but there is an entry which reads:

Surname - Hodder Given Name - Albert G. Age - 36 District - Yarmouth Vol. 4b Page 10

Also mentioned here:

Royal Navy Casualties, killed and died, February 1915

HMS Maidstone:

Submarine Depot Ships

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  16. janner

Thanks Sol. Boats crews were normally carried on the books of the Depot Ships so that would tie in.

17. Just found this thread again - apologies for the delayed replies.

Yes Milo, we are half-related... : ) I'm in touch with a couple of other living Halahans and will send you a PM with details.

Janner - I have some details about A G Hodder from the National Archive - will send you a PM.

Witsend - the rating is Able Seaman (formerly LS, formerly AS, formerly LS...) W G Powell, sporting his Russian Cross of St Anne. Quite a character. The Officer is Lt-Cdr Robert Halahan. Also quite a character. Details of both at www.hmse18.org

Don't you just love this interweb thingy? :)