Rememberance Day

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by F.T.D, Nov 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just wondering if it is only my unit that has people using more effort to avoid doing any parades or services than actualy turning up would require?
    Same people every year some reasons (excuses) for non attendance are legendary.

2. My unit do have their act together when it comes to Rememberance Sunday. I think we got 51 people this year turning out.
    Think it should be a requirement unless you have got something planned for instance a holiday. It's the most important day in the military sense of the year. The day when we remember those who laid down their lives for the freedom of this nation.
    I'll get off my soap box now, and yes I will be attending this year as I did last year.

3. There just sad bastards mate , I'd consider it an honour to attend a parade in an official capacity [in rig] , always watch Remembrence Service at the Albert Hall , makes you reflect a little and makes me wonder why anyone would want to serve this gorverment , it so pisses me off , I wear my poppy in honour of all fallen servicemen , & woman of course , and wonder what the future holds , I dread to think ,

4. I don't like to hear the top brass in my unit telling people they need to turn out "because FOSNNI is coming to this one" or because "it helps our corporate appearance", it's Remembrance Sunday for heaven's sake, we should not be hearing this bollocks about the parade being good for our "corporate appearance". The meaning of the parade should be enough to get everyone in the unit, who does not have a genuine reason for absence, to go.

5. We don't get that kind of talk at my unit. The FOSNNI quote did make me laugh though!
    The added insentive for us is we go out on the town afterwards for a few sherberts, not in rig of course. LOL That sounds as though I am cheapening the day I don't mean it to. I have a real sense of pride and humility when doing parade for that day.

6. Oh yes, likewise, the NAFFI gets a lot of custom after the parade :lol:
    Is it the case in every unit that attendance at a remembrance parade is a bounty requirement?

7. I think every unit makes it a bounty requirement but lets be honest it shouldn't have to be. The reason for the day should guarantee max effort to attend but sadly for certain people at my unit its max effort to get a waiver!!! And it grips my s**t

8. Agreed FTD

9. It annoys me to hear that anyone would try to avoid these things. It's only one day FFS!

There are only 16 Brits out here and, given the environment, if we can manage to organise and make time to have a service I can't see how anyone else would have an excuse.

SF

10. Absolutely. I have been in the blue suit for nearly 30yrs now and I still get a great feeling of pride when wearing it in public especially around the time of the Rememberance season. After all it is probably the only time of the year when we get to wear it in public. I havn't got a lot of time for people who come up with excuses year after year as to why they can't be bothered to attend the services. Wasters. Our big parade is in Cardiff and we always have a rig run in the city after. It goes down a treat with the locals.

11. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

In the past I've attended official civic parades representing my unit and also, with the unit's blessing, I've also missed the official parade to attend my local village service. On the latter occasions having a uniformed presence raised the profile of the RN(R) in my own community and led to me being asked to take an active part, e.g. wreath laying or a reading. Just because someone is not at the official parade doesn't automatically mean they are skiving.

This year, I'll be taking part in a parade with my son's scout troop along the main drag in Petawawa and I'm 99% certain I'll be the only Brit, and 100% certain I'll be the only representative of the RNR! I will however be proudly wearing my rig and a poppy (and am also looking forward to the hot toddy at the Canadian Legion!).

12. We are struggling to get a marching platoon this year (Stand fast the guard). I think that the parade on Sunday should be the only compulsory event that people attend, if they wish to go to others then that is up to the individual

13. I agree with FTD. Most of my unit are taking part in three ceremonies/parades over the weekend, however I know many people who are just not bothered including PSI's! I think that we should do at least one parade over the weekend without issue, it should be expected, for christ's sake people have died for us and we don't even have the respect to spare a few hours once a year. I would also be happy if the mob didn't pay me for the day and everyones pay for the day went to the RBL. It's a few hours and people should stop making pathetic excuses and get thier backsides out onto the street and pay thier respects! Rant over.

14. no!
    The rant shouldn't stop untill all those who are not involved in anything over this weekend start realising that this parade is VASTLY IMPORTANT. We(as a nation) owe so much, we must be able to give this time back to those who gave so much. Half a day, to be seen to be proud of what you do and what they did those who came before.

keep ranting

15. I know this is RNR but I was the same in the mob, would try everything to dodge the parade, until 1982 when I was duty SAR crew & I sat watching the cenotaph parade - crying my eyes out.
    Since then I have never missed a parade.

16. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

I wasn't however the only person wearing a signalman's badge - in amongst all the green I was pinged by a Canuck comms rate who recognised my crossed flags - small world :)

A very moving experience - the parade was very informal representing all aspects of the local community; readings of "In Flanders Field" and "They shall not grow old", Last Post followed by the 2 minute silence and then Reveille; wreath laying started with politicians (national and provincial) followed by the local units, then the local organisations - 25 minutes later the last wreath had been laid and we were dismissed to somewhere warmer.

17. Just MSNed Mum in Canada and she says that in Canada it is a national holiday for 11/11. She went to her local memorial for a service and said it was ultra moving this year because of the recent canadian losses.

She lives in a small town - they were horrified when they got their second set of traffic lights and a macdonalds! They now have a starbucks, so must have moved into the 20th century at least. I think this is the kind of day that should be celebrated in a small town, where everyone knows everyone else, and it makes the day very special. Nobody stopped in Pompey town centre yesterday at all, except me who stood like a lonely beacon outside mothercare.

18. It is difficult to understand why anyone who calls themselves British would want to miss such a significant day and an opportunity to remember those who paid the ultimate price. I suppose if the heart isn't in it the parade or service is better without such people. The occasion has such a powerful emotional current it is almost as if all those who died are there. A sensation of insignificance where such feeling and meaning are involved,

[align=center][align=justify]LEST WE FORGET[/align][/align]

19. On Saturday 11 Nov I was at Monument Hill Memorial in Fremantle, Western Australia for the local Remembrance Day Service. Although in Aus the main focus for Remembrance is Anzac Day on 25 April when the whole nation stops and most cities, towns and villages have a parade and Service there was a tremendous turn out and many ex MN, RN and RM attending along with Aus Defence Force representatives including a bugler from the RANR Band. A moving service which made a point of mentioning the Allies RN, USN and Dutch who operated from the port during WW11.

Not forgotten here.

20. Personally I would suggest that anyone who wears uniform who hasn't got a VERY good reason for attending remembrance day (family committments, work or care etc) should consider their position in the RNR or armed forces. Asking for a morning once a year is not a big deal - so many of them seem happy to turn up for every bar call going.