Rememberance Day Charges

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Old_Git_Bob, Oct 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. An absolute disgrace - Councils should be contributing not taking!

2. Three or four years ago Edinburgh City Council and Lothian and Borders Police, both tried this one to close Haymarket for half an hour, they were swiftly put in the Rembrandt by a great outpouring of indignation, a lot of it from this site....dm

3. All to do with Health & Safety, and the need for councils not to be sued if someone trips over a lost poppy !!

Perhaps people should just go ahead and march, I can't see the councils attemting to stop them .... oh Silly me !... they'd invoke the Anti Terror laws wouldn't they ?

:evil:

4. The article states that the charge is to cover the cost of advertising road closures.
    What I don't understand is why the local authority are not the persons requesting the closure.

5. wot he said just do it anyway money grabbing [email protected]

6. The councils should be the ones promoting rememberance parades as those who gave their lives did so we could have councils and not a dictatorship.
    It seems that they have forgotten what it was all about and what their sacrifice was for.

Perhaps if people threatened to withdraw their council tax payments they might sit up and listen.

There again there is always the next local elections to show ones disapproval :evil:

7. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

To be honest, i'm surprised it's taken this long. It's just typical of the society we live in these days. There is no longer any respect for remembrance day any more and the yoof of today have not got a clue what it is all about. Charging for remembrance day. What next? Matelots will have to contribute to the cost of fuel for your boat type thingies, squaddies will have to stump up for ammo and crabs will have to iron out their tenners to get more badges sewn on their uniforms. Fecking outrageous in my opinion.

8. Class! PMSL

9. This is very simply worked out. The Gentlemen of R.B.L should form up in the usual manner, standards flying, and step off in the same old way. Who would stop these Be-medaled Heros?, the Bill???, I seriously doubt it, I really do. And besides, Civil Disobedience is Long Overdue in this country. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

10. What he said :twisted: :wink:

11. Blackrat:
    To be honest, i'm surprised it's taken this long. It's just typical of the society we live in these days. There is no longer any respect for remembrance day any more and the yoof of today have not got a clue what it is all about. Charging for remembrance day. What next? Matelots will have to contribute to the cost of fuel for your boat type thingies, squaddies will have to stump up for ammo and crabs will have to iron out their tenners to get more badges sewn on their uniforms. Fecking outrageous in my opinion.

Wish I had read this to myself before reading it out in the office in front of my Ex RAF boss!!!

12. Is that ex RAF type boss, or ex boss who was in the RAF :roll: 8O :D

13. I'd hope that the local free newspaper that has exposed this nonsense has gone up the (media) foodchain and sent this story on to a big national. The Sun, the Daily Mail or the Daily Express would have a complete field day.

(In fact, Old_Git_Bob, make a few quid for an appropriate service charity and send the nationals the story yourself!

14. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Good drills Barney. He can't do much though, seeing as it's the truth.

15. How many of you have read the article?

If you have not read it please do so.

As a charrity the RBL are only being charged the £150 that they have to pay for advertising the road closures.

Now this may seem mean but in these days of cutbacks councils are hitting everyone.

16. Old crabs never die,they're just moved sideways :lol:

17. That is irrelevant (and irreverent) the RBL should not have to pay anything for Remembrance Day - the bill has already been paid in advance by all those who gave their lives so that we who came after them could enjoy the benefits of a free and democratic society

18. Before we start ranting about the council charging the RBL £150 perhaps we would be better asking the ERBL why the chief executive of this Charity is paid in excess of £150K per annum.

Makes £150 somewhat insignificant me thinks

http://www.intelligentgiving.com/charity/219279

19. 2 wrongs don't make a right - perhaps you have a point and Charity Senior Executives should be held up to scrutiny BUT strong, capable managers who are able to "make a difference" (and this is not saying that the ERBL chairman fits the bill because I simply do not know) do not come cheap (and certainly do not come free) and the job of generating funding and ongoing support for one charity out of thousands is a challenge.

Councils charging for closing roads on one day per year so that those who made the ultimate sacrifice can be honoured is a TOTALLY different issue (IMHO)