Remember Me

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by brazenhussy, Feb 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmm, I don't get all this sort of overly-patriotic smalthz on YouTube... am I missing the point? Some of those comments almost made me puke as much as the clip ("It brought tears to my ears..", etc.)

2. It's not just you, cultural thing I think though. Any time I've been in the States, or work with US personnel, it brings out the difference in outlook and professional approach.
  3. sgtpepperband

I agree that many people may have similar patriotic points of view, but do they really have to ram it down our throats? "God bless the USA - how would the rest of the world manage without us?"

4. i did try to find a brit one- but no joy.
    just thought the main message was ok- oops!!
  5. sgtpepperband

Hey, no criticism of you... just getting a bit weary of the back-slapping every time a Yank gets a medal... :roll:
  6. Ohmegod, yet MORE shmaltz from dumbfuckistan.
    Don't these idiots realise that the more you show crap like that, the more de-sensitised people become and the less people care?

Again, BH, not a comment on you melove ;)
  7. I think that probably draws out the cultural differences :)

I think it is, conflict is all about people and those who are involved aren't anonymous, faceless, automatons. But the whole American approach is a bit sinister to me.

There is something that we could take from it though, the current debate about under-funding and over-stretch isn't helped by just how little the British public known and understand. If you recall some of the commentary about the state of service housing when people were quite happy for crown servants to live in promperty which wasn't fit for habitation, on the basis of ''they signed up for it''.

There's a broader debate to be had about engagement with the taxpayer.
  8. I can see where you were coming from BH, it was a good bit of editing, not really my cup of tea but those at home like this sort of thing I suppose.

However I must agree with Sgtpepperband, the average Joe Public believes far too much of this in that they are the only ones fighting "Terrorism", far too many examples of this attitude abound.

A quote from the news last week from a neighbour of one of the "A10" pilots was "Hes a hero, and we need them, about time you and the rest of Europe got off your ass and stop sucking your thumbs like you did in the 2nd World War!!" :evil: :evil:

Too many people believe that every thing that comes from Hollywood is true, and that includes in this country as well. Just because its in colour dosen't make it true.....(Maybe) :wink:
  9. Hey LG 380, what's your avatar of?
  10. what is left of a Yank destroyer after being hit by a Penguin.... :grin:
    Those that know me from my last ship, will know why its rather apt.....
    I had a sort of a explosion on the launcher...... :roll: :shock:
  11. Oops :oops: Ah well, shit happens.
  12. Just one penguin? Pretty impressive for a small missile.
  13. Ask my buddy why he decided to settle here. Englands green and pleasant land. Or should say it was when he decided to stop in the fifties when England belonged to the English[am I allowed to say that]and not those with the biggest bag of money or human rights lawyer from Mustaphacrap and Lichestinwolda.