Remeberance Day

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by brazenhussy, Oct 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I thought i would donate a thread to all those lost:

whether it be lost in war, or illness or crime- with the day coming soon-
    here is a raised glass to those who will never raise one again........

RIP xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

2. I always looked on Rembrance sunday as a chore to get out of or go for a few beers with my grand dad until 1982, that Remembrance sunday i was crying my eyes out while being laughed at by other members of the squadron.
    RIP All who have died in service of their country

3. Bump.

4. My wife loves to watch the Rememberance Day on the Telly.
    I can't watch it, never have been able to.
    I find it far too upsetting on so many different levels.
    I can't even stop and talk to those selling poppies outside Tesco's etc. Just shove money in the box, say thank you (which always gets me a funny look from them for some reason) and bimble off sniffing like a madman.
    For people like us, those that have given in the service of this once fine country are remembered EVERY DAY, not just one day per year for some kind of lip service.

5. Agree absolutely with you on that one Lamri. Can't watch it, can't even attend. Much prefer to reflect quietly at home with a glass of something.

This isn't to diminish in any way the efforts and sacrifice of those who have gone before. It's just my own way of remembering.

SF

6. Used to be the same as you--every Armistice Day watching the old guys--
    marching as though they were young again past the Cenotaph.

Then I though I had better get out there to keep it all going --the old vets are getting older and need the new faces to show we do care.
    Usually wear my Fathers medals for the November rememberance services .

We will remember them.

:nemo: :nemo:

7. I recall my first RD in uniform , Winter 1952 , in Guzz on Plymouth Hoe . A true winter day with dark skies and rain , didn't go too well with white belt and gaiters . The atmosphere was alive with emotion and I'm sure my eyes were not the only ones watering through the cold . Never forget that and the crowd applauding as we marched off . Although I didn't compose the following verse and omitted to record the author I do consider the verse suitable for the day in the plural of course

"Departed Comrade! Thou redeemed from pain,
    Shalt sleep the sleep that kings desire in vain;
    Not thine the sense of loss,
    But lo, for us the void
    That never shall be filled again.
    Not thine , but ours , the grief.
    All pain is fled from thee
    And we are weeping in thy stead;
    Tears for the mourners who are left behind,
    Peace everlasting for the quiet dead."

Lest we forget

8. See, now even that brought a tear to my eye.
    Nice one Hobbit, good verse.

9. To all attending their firt parades this year you will always remember after this. I do and always will. I also do the same as you silver _fox.

10. I will be in the RN/RNR guard in the bristol parade....proud as always. it will be a good day. A sad one too to be sure but a day to wear the uniform with a pride in those who have given the maximum possible in service of thier country, family and friends.

RIP guys.

11. Will be attending a local parade, but dammed if I can find my medals at the moment....still, have a few days to hunt for them.

12. Top verse Hobbit, I just googled it and it came up with the author as Lucretius, Roman Epicurean philosopher. It may be old but it is still very apt.

I will be at our local parade as always we must never forget those lost or those who had to live with the memories. If we don't care who will teach the next generation to.

13. The one in Cranbrooke, Kent always has a good local turnout, assisted by the school's cadets! The locals line the High Street for the march to the War Memorial (about a mile uphill and another mile back again). Too many of us these days are unable to cope with the uphill march these days. I can't make it all this year though.

Lamri, SF & Greenie, there's nothing wrong with getting emotional. Bless! :hug:

14. I'm off to the Falklands tomorrow with the RBL, so after everything that has gone on this year it will be very poinent, especially as i have been in touch with a family whose son who was killed the day after the surrender & am laying a wreath fon their behalf & also crosses for people I knew.

RIP
    NA Budgie Marsden
    PO Pete Brouard
    Lt Cdr Gordy Batt

15. I never feel as proud to wear the uniform as i do on remembrance day.

I am a reservist and have done nothing in the way of active service in my 7 years in but it doesn't stop me wearing my uniform and grandfathers medals with pride while trying to swallow the biggest lump ever that always gets stuck in my throat.

16. Thanks Crab I'll make a note of that . Yes re the emotion . I always thought it wrong to have the lump in the throat , unable to speak and watery eyes . Now with age and understanding I realise I'm normal and accept it although still privately haven't reached the stage of public display.

Lest we forget

17. Remember one year (I think it was 79) the Command decided (not sure how they came about it, but oh well) to task Submarine Squadron with that years contribution to the Rememberance day parade, usually the base (Stadacona) or the fleet looked after it.

Well Squadron cox'n was tasked to round up 60 of us from the 3 boats, this was indeed a chore, anyhow he managed to find us and told us to show up at the drill shed Friday am sharp in our No 1's for a practice session.

Well feck me what a hoot, we showed up alright, now if any of you are familiar with our old "green uniforms" they came with a peaked cap....Lol, whenever we went on deployment these caps were shoved in between the plumbing and the uniforms were stowed in green garbage bags sealed with gun tape (not that it mattered, still smelled like diesel), but the caps all looked like something out of a stalag film, tightly pinched...the base RSM had a coniption fit and nearly keeled over at the sight of us.

Then the fun began, "fall in" wha? whats that mean, "line up and sound off", wha? what's that...the drill guys (bosn's of course) were killing themselves....finally the RSM had enough and told us to just show up and we will sort it out then (on a Sunday no less).

So of course we dismissed and headed straight for Joe's, Friday and all....well come Sunday, here we all are mustered on the parade square all with borrowed kit of course, and away we go, this year is special, they want us to march past the cenotaph honouring the Boer War, apparently amongst us was the last survivor, so we paid tribute, and we looked like a drunken centipede marching through town, out of step? hahaha lucky some of us could walk.

Anyway's suffice to say, that was the last time ever that Submarine Squadron was ever tasked for that again.

That being said, during my career I participated in a lot of these parades and was very proud to do so, it hit me once when at the main cenotaph, the November drizzle was coming down in sheets sideways, so that by the time it was over, one whole side of you was soaked to the skin, and yet for everyone that grumbled and whined, all you had to do was look ahead and see the ranks of the veterans, so solid in their stance and stoic in memory, that what was the problem? if they can stand and honour their comrades the least we can do is show some support, so I never begrudged doing this responsibility... :thumright: