Relocation Leave - If you are being assigned you may want to read.

SEP86

War Hero
I had never heard of it, but just found out that, in simple terms, if you have to move home for an assignment you are entitled to additional leave.

JSP 760 Ch 8.

Worth a read.

My question would be 'how was I supposed to know it had been introduced?' Answers below would be interesting.

Edited to 760 as correctly pointed out below.

Last edited:

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
You'll get the usual "it was on a signal", "it's been in DIN's for ages" etc etc which is UPO speak for "we never publicised it so no-one would slap in for it apart from ourselves and our oppo's"

Cynic! moi!

SEP86

War Hero
You'll get the usual "it was on a signal", "it's been in DIN's for ages" etc etc which is UPO speak for "we never publicised it so no-one would slap in for it apart from ourselves and our oppo's"

Cynic! moi!
Signal possibly, but being a DIN and RNTM spotter I would be surprised - could be wrong though.

It's been around for donkey's years, before the introduction of JSPs. It was stuffed away in one of the BRs in an obscure paragraph after it was released on a DCI.

Thing is, it's one of those lesser known absences that doesn't really get covered but usually applies more to the Army and RAF as they usually relocate in those circumstances.

Also don't you also mean JSP 760? Before people start looking in the wrong place that is.

lastjennywren

Midshipman
It's a dodgy one! We used to get trainees claiming for it going from one phase to another and were literally moving up th corridor - none the less it was their entitlement - rightly so. It needs to be ( I get this muddled up everytime ) accepted/granted by your leaving unit prior to your joining date on your draft order - hope that helps!!

Guzzler

War Hero
We used to get trainees claiming for it going from one phase to another and were literally moving up th corridor - none the less it was their entitlement - rightly so.
'Rightly so'?

You sure you're not confusing this with Disturbance Allowance?

lastjennywren

Midshipman
No I am not! They were finishing one course and starting another. Disturbance allowance is money and relocation leave is leave so both very different they weren't moving accommodation they were moving phases in training so RIGHTLY SO were given relocation leave as per the JSP!

lastjennywren

Midshipman
It's been around for donkey's years, before the introduction of JSPs. It was stuffed away in one of the BRs in an obscure paragraph after it was released on a DCI.

Thing is, it's one of those lesser known absences that doesn't really get covered but usually applies more to the Army and RAF as they usually relocate in those circumstances.

Also don't you also mean JSP 760? Before people start looking in the wrong place that is.
It's in JSP 752 I think

From Defence Intranet:

JSP 760 – Tri-Service Regulations for Leave and Other Types of Absences
Chapter 8 - Relocation Leave.

Disturbance Allowance, however, is definitely in the JSP 752 ;)

Polto

War Hero
I had never heard of it, but just found out that, in simple terms, if you have to move home for an assignment you are entitled to additional leave.

JSP 860 Ch 8.

Worth a read.

My question would be 'how was I supposed to know it had been introduced?' Answers below would be interesting.
How would you know?

A fair question I guess...one of the answers could be...

"Ignorance is not an excuse". It's probably up to the individual to read every single JSP on the plane and commit the entire lot to memory...I suppose if one were to read the entry on disturbance allowance, there might be a reference to other places for info of a similar nature...maybe?

Guzzler

War Hero
No I am not! They were finishing one course and starting another. Disturbance allowance is money and relocation leave is leave so both very different they weren't moving accommodation they were moving phases in training so RIGHTLY SO were given relocation leave as per the JSP!
Chill out wench.

The way it was phrased appeared that you thought it was morally 'right' that they have yet more leave thrown at them

SEP86

War Hero

You are right - thank you - I have edited the original.

MG Maniac

War Hero
Seem to remember getting relocation leave in '83 when moving to Gib ... got extra leave to pack up MQ into crates and shift family to MQ out there.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Relocation leave UPO 7
D Royal Marine and Relocation Joining the Royal Navy 4
G Relocation into SFA, any expense help?? UPO 2
soleil STV: "Jobs Fears Over Potential Relocation Of Royal Navy Training Ship" SCC and URNU 1
T Relocation Relocation The Corps 6
P Leave or Stay Nearest & Dearest 1
MoD_RSS Parents returning to work after extended leave eligible for furlough MoD News 0
J HMS Collingwood leave dates UPO/Careers Office 23
MoD_RSS Leave lockdown in lockstep MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Furloughed workers to receive full parental leave entitlement MoD News 0
M Leave between phase 1 and 2 Joining the Royal Navy 17
RedShirt Leave during lockdown UPO/Careers Office 21
G Mobile number changed while on leave UPO 4
MoD_RSS Rules on carrying over annual leave to be relaxed to support key industries during COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government campaign to ensure workers are paid correctly for holiday leave MoD News 0
G Holdover Weekend Leave?? Joining the Royal Navy 7
F Summer leave Dates WD Bases / Shore Est 0
MoD_RSS UK set to introduce ‘Jack’s Law’ – new legal right to paid parental bereavement leave MoD News 0
N Can you use other bases/barracks sickbays if ill on leave Health & Fitness 8
F Raleigh Christmas Leave 2019 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS New Service Launched Helping Service Leavers to Plan Early and Leave Well MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Helping Service Leavers to plan early and leave well MoD News 0
D SMQ North Christmas leave 2019 Submariners 5
J Easter Leave 2020 Joining the Royal Navy 20
S Will summer leave alter Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
MoD_RSS Chief Digital and Information Officer Jacky Wright to leave HMRC MoD News 0
slim Should Retired Old and Bold Pharts Leave RR? Diamond Lil's 59
MorganCUFC HMS Collingwood Summer Leave 2020 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
MoD_RSS Paul Newby to leave the PCA role at end of four year term MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £10 million Turner masterpiece may leave British shores MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Rare portrait of the dancer Nijinsky may leave UK permanently MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM calls for greater equality in parental leave MoD News 0
H Training and reservist leave Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
D Raleigh summer leave dates 2019? Bases / Shore Est 1
K Summer leave 2020 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
K Summer leave 2020 HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 22
Z What do people do with Leave? RFA 33
W Christmas Leave Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
M AT during leave? Joining the Royal Navy 15
R Easter and Summer leave times at Collingwood? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
B HMS Collingwood summer leave 2019?? Social & Reunions 1
K basic training easter leave Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS News story: UK aviation industry set to prosper as UK prepares to leave the EU MoD News 0
C Leave Joining the Royal Navy 1
B Leave during phase 1 at Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 6
Waspie On leave!!! Diamond Lil's 10
A Allowed leave to go on Expedition? Joining the Royal Navy 0
F Careers Office Leave Joining the Royal Navy 3
T Summer leave- faslane 2018 HMS CLYDE Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
XCrabFat HMS Collingwood Trainee Summer Leave 2018 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0