Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Newbie89, Nov 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello there ive got a newbie question.

After filling out my application form i put down my religion as atheist with no second thought.

Yet after the remembrance service and the power of hindsight when seeing how deeply in twined armed services and religion is and the navy has its own chaplaincy branch ect.

Is my choice going to be used against me ? as atheism is associated with saddle wearing conciousness objector types.

Or the AFCO is going to see my choice and then under the table try to pick holes in my application ?
  2. Hello Newbie89

Welcome to Rum Ration!

The answer to your question is "No - please don't worry about this or think for a minute longer that the Careers Advisors would take this into account in any way when processing your application".
  3. PS Being an atheist won't attract attention in the Royal Navy but wearing a saddle will.

4. Thanks for your quick response you put me at ease :)

Although i'm not sure i could work for an institution that dose not respect a saddle wearing man
  5. After a while on here, you will come to appreciate that, despite what they may profess, most matelots (and bootnecks, for that matter) are agnostics, as they haven't got a clue what they believe.
  6. Newbie89,

Welcome to RR - Joe C took the words right out of my mouth but I've found a few more. Your options include:

Googling both Agnostic and Atheist and see which camp would accept your membership application.

Consider adding "(Lapsed)" behind the religion/denomination of your parent(s), even if they may have been non-practising themselves.

With what ever choice you make just imagine being asked "Why?" (by your best friend or a complete stranger). What would you reply?

Religion should be considered as a serious subject which of many of us re-visit and come to terms with after age and experience. After all, you are a long time dead, as they say......

7. My dog tags say ND which stands for 'No Denomination.'

I've been reliably informed that the only thing the Taleban hate more than Christians and Jews is heathen non believers, so having 'Atheist' written on your tags is a one way ticket to a beheading on Youtube if you ever get captured.

Having said that, I reckon just being white is probably enough for at least a bit of water boarding and a few minutes rigged up to an iron bed connected to a car battery.
  8. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Just don't put satanist as it costs us a fortune to bring in the fresh blood and other supplies needed for the human sacrifices...
  9. PT

He/she wouldn't be the only one around, if I remember correctly ...........
  10. Hahaha P_T has a sense of humor. Huzzah!!! :D

Made my half hour........ until Chico or Normong reappear
  11. I hear Jedi is an up and coming religion. Give it ago and see how it owns out.
  12. 'This is not the thread you were looking for' ..... hehe
  13. :idea: Just remembered, an oppo way, way back always reckoned that
    he was a "Welsh Tobacconist" ........or was it "Welsh Tobogganist". 8O
  14. Alot of Matelots are "Church of Barrow", only go when pushed
  15. '89

By the way - An atheist is always a clear candidate for Second Leave at Christmas AND Easter Leave periods.

SLIB-bered by your religion, start wriggling out of that, '89 :twisted:

PS ....And never wear socks with your saddles.
  16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It matters not a jot what denomination is recorded on your application form, however (here we go again) you WILL go to church during initial training, like it or not. If you aren't happy with that, then please don't bleat about it, we've heard it all before & you are at liberty not to join.

What atheist individuals may like to consider is what type of service your family would like if you are killed - if they're not bothered then we can 'deep six' you overseas at leisure. However, if your family are of a certain faith, they may not want you cremated, buried at sea or they may even want your body repatriated & interred within 24 hours.

Funnily enough, last time I was in a war zone, everyone decided they were temporarily religious, me included oddly enough. I liken it to elderly folk deciding they will start going to church again - just in case.
  17. You'll probably be classed as Free Church or somesuch. When you get incoming, the first thing you'll shout is, "Jesus Christ!" Thus making you Church of England. Why complicate things for yourself. 8)
  18. Sounds like an outfit I belong to.

The seniors are known as 'The Holy Men': Any slight deviation from procedures often causes them to rock back & forth, shake their heads, muttering awhile 'Dear God' & suchlike. :wink:

S & F

19. As an atheist I would imagine a humanist funeral would be most appropriate. I have been to a few of those and when I cross the bar, I want a humanist service too. I won't be a hypocrite and do the 'God' thing just because it's expected of me as I was christened CofE.
    Personally if you want to believe that, then why not follow the example of JC himself and get baptised when you are an adult and can make an informed choice, rather than as an unwitting child.
    Just my twopenneth...... :D
  20. You seem to be confusing me with someone else, though God knows who.