Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Relevant & Current Issues No.3 - The New Carrier

Don't joke about the marinised Typhoons... remember the government made the RAF order twice as many as needed... marinising them would help save the political embarasment of 100+ brand new Typhoons mothballed (it happened on a smaller scale with Tornado F3).

I am not saying that a marinised Typhoon makes sense, the whole reason the French dropped out was noone else wanted it marinesed (D'oh!). SO buying Rafael would make more sense, and I believe it has longer range than Typhoon and JSF/JCA. And we could build exactly the same version of CVF as the French one, thus saving money.

But when has what's best for the RN and country been put first by the government, of any persuasion?

chockhead819 said:
they have to get the money for the squadies & everyone in combat zones from somewhere so lets buy less ships. I wish i could win the lottery & i would leave this once proud country, I hope all the do-gooders are watching us go down the shitter thanks to them.

Agree there shipmate , we are sinking into a cesspit of our own making , sad as fxxk , :evil:

Not a hope in hell. Main Gate submission was last Thursday (26th). Now begins a long-drawn out process of question and answer, followed by negotiation, followed by (hopefully) ministerial approval and announcement sometime in Jan / Feb.

I am not saying that a marinised Typhoon makes sense, the whole reason the French dropped out was noone else wanted it marinesed (D'oh!). SO buying Rafael would make more sense, and I believe it has longer range than Typhoon and JSF/JCA. And we could build exactly the same version of CVF as the French one, thus saving money.

Unfortunately no aircraft has succesfully been designed as conventional and converted to life at sea. Even the Seafire was limited in range and with undercarrage problems, although plenty have excelled the other way round (Phantom II, Hornet, Corsair etc.)

I believe the Rafale specs are far inferior to Typhoon and JSF. If we have to buy anything CTOL it should be F/A 18 E/F or G!

A_A is bang on re coversion of land-based aircraft for carrier use. never been succesful and never will be. Buy F35C (the proper carrier based JSF) and be done with it. F18E would be nice as a fallback shame we can't get Grumman to dust off the plans for Tomcat 21.......

Not_a_boffin said:
A_A is bang on re coversion of land-based aircraft for carrier use. never been succesful and never will be. Buy F35C (the proper carrier based JSF) and be done with it. F18E would be nice as a fallback shame we can't get Grumman to dust off the plans for Tomcat 21.......

Totally agree. The problem is that the RAF agreed to JSF as a replacement for Harrier. But surely now we have Apache why does RAF Harrier need replacing?

stumpy said:
Totally agree. The problem is that the RAF agreed to JSF as a replacement for Harrier. But surely now we have Apache why does RAF Harrier need replacing?
............ because the Apache is intended to be CAS and anti armour and attached directly to an Army Unit, as most deployed AAC assets are. It's a tank that flies. The Harrier was intended for short/medium range interdiction, recce and anti armour. It isn't particularly optimised for CAS but it's all we've got. The Air Force, while mindful of the needs of the man at the front, has a bigger picture to paint. We can't assume we'll never have to fight a symmetrical war again and the need remains to fight behind the lines of the enemy. That still means fast and agile, effective from any level.

Nobody knows what FOAC is for, nor even when it's going to arrive. POL also points out what many in town forget - the future may not be battering Achmed the Awful and his hellish minions. If you look at what Ivan is doing these days, a return to large scale warfighting is not beyond the realms of possibility. Even if we ignore the yellow horde, there's plenty of scope in our own hemisphere for some unpleasntness of the first order.

All of this makes the current push to irrevocably close infrastructure somewhat short-sighted and driven by p!ss-poor assumptions.

Now will that be a real announcement as to whether or not they are really going to build them, or justr the announcement of another date for an announcement.

Maxi_77 said:
Now will that be a real announcement as to whether or not they are really going to build them, or justr the announcement of another date for an announcement.

The Primeminister will today announce that he will intend to make an announcement that the government are going to set a date for the announcement on the intended Future Carrier announcement.

Clouseau said:
Maxi_77 said:

The Primeminister will today announce that he will intend to make an announcement that the government are going to set a date for the announcement on the intended Future Carrier announcement.

Situation normal then.

Latest Threads