Relevant and Current Issues No.1 - TDBC & Shore billets

brigham600

War Hero
Re: Relevant and Current Issues No.1 - TDBC & Shore bill

I agree with Closeau regarding Naval ethos and discipline and the sudden lack of it at some establishments.

A short fact...

I came out of a building the other day and notice three LT's walking past Marlborough block. One of these had his foulie jacket undone and both hands in his pockets, whilst ambling along all jack me hearty like. As he was an obvious sprog, I have no idea who the hell he thought he was.

Anyway I digress. I shouted out "Excuse me" and all three turned around. I then said to el sprogo LT that he should take both hands out of his pockets and also zip up his foulie jacket.

His retort was "Who the hell are you talking to, you are just a civvie"

My reply: "No, I am an ex CRS and you are supposed to be an officer and should be setting a better example, so get your hands out of your pockets please"

He did eventually zip up his jacket and had a right huff on that he had been picked up.

Just wish I had gotten his name and reported him to the XO. Little twat.

Trouble is its the same on ships. How is one supposed to pick up the lads for being slovenly when the Senior Officers Mince round the Ops Room with their hands in their pockets like they are in the car park at some Grouse Shoot

Clouseau

Banned

fishmiester said:
Trouble is its the same on ships. How is one supposed to pick up the lads for being slovenly when the Senior Officers Mince round the Ops Room with their hands in their pockets like they are in the car park at some Grouse Shoot

Lets not turn this into a drip session about officers. It happens at all levels. It is down to personal and professional standards not some sort of class issue.

Clouseau said:
It is down to personal and professional standards not some sort of class issue.

Never said it was a class issue, just made a plea for the Senior Officers to lead by example. I am quite happy to pick up a 2 ringer and point him in the right direction but it is harder when the rings of gold number 3 or more, and worse still when they become great big thick rings.
I have personal and professional pride. This is why this subject rankles me so.
Grouse shoot or shoot a tinny - it makes no difference, the crime is the same, it is just that some believe themselves above the law because of their professional rank (and in some cases their percieved social rank too). Trouble is leading by example is fine if it is done by all Leaders not just the ones with p & p standards :?

sulzer

Lantern Swinger

Contractorisation: This process began about 40 years ago with shore based cooks being replaced by civilians at a much lower wage. The money men do not understand that training people in a craft takes more than do "this and that", without the ethos being instilled a very poor outcome is inevitable. The post war German air force is a case in point with many resulting in many crashes.

I did instructor duties for a year during my time as senior technical chief and its a satisfying job . However it was interspersed with trips to do sea rider on work up boats . I think to be a permanent instructor you need to be a certain type of person because it becomes repetitous saying the same things over and over to different classes.

Regarding dress code and pride in the way you 'show' yourself well it was part of the basic training . Onboard ship you did relax especially at sea .However alongside and in shore billets you dressed and stayed clean and smart .

Also the regulators were always around to pounce on the unwary -and they did quite often .

brigham600

War Hero

Clouseau said:
fishmiester said:

Lets not turn this into a drip session about officers. It happens at all levels. It is down to personal and professional standards not some sort of class issue.

Its not a drip session about officers, it is stating facts. Why is it that officers seem to think they are above the Naval ethos and standards. I am sick to the back teeth of seeing young LTs and the like walk around with hands in pockets, no caps, mobile phone glued to ears etc.

Its not a class issue at all, other than the fact that some of them have NO class whatsoever, but think they do.

I have, in the past, re-briefed several Petty Officers for the same thing and warned them that they should be upholding the standards.

silverfox

War Hero
Book Reviewer

If I had a pound for every time I'd picked up a junior officer.... I wouldn't need to work here!! Its not a question of officers thinking they are above ethos, its just that they don't understand it from the beginning - which could lead us to a whole new thread about leadership....

Its an uphill battle for those of us who care - we had an indoor Rememberance Day Service last week - our students were included, as I waked in there was one leaning against the wall, hands in pockets. I reminded him of the way things should be a la BRNC - and then realised he was a 2 1/2 - but to his credit he blushed and complied without murmour.

You can take the staff out of Dartmouth, but you can't take Dartmouth out of the staff....

Clouseau

Banned

brigham600 said:
Clouseau said:
fishmiester said:

Its not a drip session about officers, it is stating facts. Why is it that officers seem to think they are above the Naval ethos and standards. I am sick to the back teeth of seeing young LTs and the like walk around with hands in pockets, no caps, mobile phone glued to ears etc.

Its not a class issue at all, other than the fact that some of them have NO class whatsoever, but think they do.

I have, in the past, re-briefed several Petty Officers for the same thing and warned them that they should be upholding the standards.

I didn't say it was a class issue. The previous post (use of the term "Grouse shoot") sounded like a trite comment about the stereotypical upperclass hossiffer!

I believe that poor ethos exists throughout all ranks and rates (as it has always been). The problem is that it is more obvious the more senior you go and it is there that enforcement of standards rests.

I tend to get annoyed when I start hearing trite, embittered rants against junior officers just because they are junior officers. It just sounds like so many shoulder mounted chips.

Clouseau said:
brigham600 said:
Clouseau said:
fishmiester said:

I didn't say it was a class issue. The previous post (use of the term "Grouse shoot") sounded like a trite comment about the stereotypical upperclass hossiffer!

I believe that poor ethos exists throughout all ranks and rates (as it has always been). The problem is that it is more obvious the more senior you go and it is there that enforcement of standards rests.

I tend to get annoyed when I start hearing trite, embittered rants against junior officers just because they are junior officers. It just sounds like so many shoulder mounted chips.

The term Grouse shoot was purely arbitary. I was going to use West Car Park at Twickers. I could so easily have said waiting for a bus or shopping at Asda.

Got a good bite though :twisted:

Clouseau

Banned

fishmiester said:
Clouseau said:
brigham600 said:
Clouseau said:
fishmiester said:

The term Grouse shoot was purely arbitary. I was going to use West Car Park at Twickers. I could so easily have said waiting for a bus or shopping at Asda.

Got a good bite though :twisted:

Indeed it did. Many bites are made when there isn't any desire to catch one.

Latest Threads