Release - NHS number

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by ghandi, Feb 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone left the Mob recently and obtained their NHS number? If yes, how? I am getting the 'dockyard' run around. VMT.

2. Try this

NHS Direct

Edited as I found the number below :thumright:

NHS NUMBER HELP LINE 01704 569824

Let us know how you get on, I must trace mine soon.....

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

In most areas, although admittedly not all, your NHS Number is on your birth certificate.

4. There wasn't an NHS when I was born, but then I did leave the service a good few years ago.

5. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Maxi, in that case I believe your NHS id is the same as the one on your wartime ID card. At least that's how it worked for me. Each family had an id and the family members were ranked -1, -2, -3 etc., uprated when the NHS came along, e.g. I moved up two places as -2 and -3 had died.

Afterthought 1: Aaaaaargh! allthose ration books & id cards thrown away - think what they wouldbe worth on E-bay now.

Afterthought 2: However did we beat Hitler without a centralised id database including biometrics ..

6. I). Yes, but I also rember the joy of burning the sweety ration card

20. With great difficulty so they tell me though I understand the handraulic database was considered useful in the effort and worth the loss of liberty it involved.

7. left a couple of years ago and when i registered with the local practice filled out some forms saw the doc and 2 weeks later a nhs card arrived stating said number. :rendeer:

8. Ninja_Stoker

Your NHS Number is actually issued when you were born (this century, anyway).

It's also held by your civilian GP & on the European Health Insurance Card (the old E111). Obtainable via www.nhs.uk

Your National Insurance number is usually obtained at the age of 16.

9. Then it won't apply to any of us?

10. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

My children were issued with their NHS numbers when their births were registered so that has been the drill for at least forty years. The catch is that in the Navy you don't need the card and there's just a chance it might not be where your mother hid it!

11. Ninja_Stoker

Gosh, £87.20 you say?

12. Got my NHS number today!
    Just a few things I have found out/wanted to clear up:

1. The NHS number is not on your EHIC.

2. The General Registrar Office number that is given out by med centres/sickbays and on the Service Leavers Pack (01704 569824) is no longer valid. The GRO can no longer give out NHS numbers over the phone due to MOD policy which came in to effect Nov 07.

3. There is a new AF wide medical database due to be installed at all AF med centres/sickbays, however no where seems to have it yet.

4. I 'obtained' the contact name and number of someone in MOD London who can access the information, however he is adverse to speaking to anyone who isn't Med staff.

:thumright: I passed the new contact details to HMS NELSON Sickbay (02392 724190 - ask for release desk) who should now be able to correctly help anyone leaving from there.

13. Ninja_Stoker

I'll send mine back & ask them to delete it then. [​IMG]

Incidentally the old NHS Number scheme which many were issued with containing letters at the beginning as well as numbers no longer exists- it's all numbers nowadays & those with the old numbers have been given new ones.

14. NHS numbers - as previous post - new medical computer system currently being installed at all bases.RAF up and running - new system does require NHS numbers to be recorded. If not already entered on your medical 'EMIS' record where you work in preparation for the new system, it should be found in your FMED 4(medical records) on your FMED1 (initial joining form).
    Contact your sickbay and ask to see medical records to find out. Unfortunately - if in late 40s may not have original form. Nelson can only chase yours if you have actually been a patient there - poor staff can't look after ALL Navy!
    (as am medical - I will check out next week the correct number for obtaining NHS numbers)

15. Ninja_stoker wrote:
    Got my EHIC in front of me (issued Sep 2005). Has; surname, given name, DOB, personal ID number, ID number of the institution, ID number of the card and expiry date.

Definetly no 'NHS number'.