Rejoining the URNU

Discussion in 'SCC and URNU' started by Eminence, Jan 6, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all, first post so take it easy! I was in a URNU unit as a full member for the first month and a half however had to leave due to family reasons that are now resolved. I explained the situation and that I wanted to rejoin to the staff and was told 'they were full up' even though the unit was at less than the 51 max capacity (including associates) that they are entitled to. Being legally minded (guess my degree) I read the laws and found that even late entrants can be accepted with approval from the URNU Staffing officer. My uniform had arrived as well (a good No 2 & 3 just wasting away in a locker!).

I regret leaving the unit and feel angry at myself and the situation on an almost daily basis. I would hope someone here would have the knowledge to advise me about rejoining the URNU, the admin issues and what how I should go about things.

Is there some sort of unsaid "leave and you're out for good" doctrine at play?

Failing all this, I'm very seriously considering applying for RNR Officer however I really feel at this stage of my life the URNU would be the most appropriate insight alongside studying for a degree and probably the best use of (limited) Navy resources.
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

When did you explain your situation - after you stopped attending but later decided to rejoin or before you stopped attending immediately after first joining?

If you did not have the courtesy to inform your unit upfront, when the "circumstances preventing your attendance" occurred, then you reap what you sow, frankly.

If you told the CO or Coxswain directly before disappearing, then it's at the CO's discretion and a formal written request to rejoin is your best bet.

Before you dig yourself a grave, if you start thinking for one moment you have any legal right or start quoting rules, then you will find yourself bitterly disappointed and feeling rather foolish. In my experience there's always two sides to any situation and the way in which you put yourself across may bear further inward contemplation and reflection.

Good luck.
  3. No, there will certainly be no grave digging. I just looked into what they were legally entitled to do, more so finding out if they 'could' rather than should take me back. I probably should have been more clear about that.

I sent my Coxswain an email describing the situation and made it clear it was with great regret that I had to leave and that it was outside of my control really. I apologize for not expanding on this however take my word that it was a very vaild reason. The email was sent before I stopped attending. I had full attendance for evenings and introductory events (which is more than some members could say unfortunately).

I'll start drafting that letter now then. Many thanks for the advice given, it's gratefully appreciated.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Good luck with re-joining.

When I was Coxswain at Oxford URNU many moons ago, our affiliate/associate members were our standby members, so if someone left, they were then made full members. Possibly this has what has happened at your unit. Ultimately, although the URNU has a theoretical capacity of 17 in each year group, sometimes a unit may settle for less as it means they have spare capacity to pay students for attendance over and above the annual allowance.

Hopefully things will go your way, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to why you'd feel angry with yourself if the circumstances for leaving were truly outside of your control.
  5. Subsunk

Subsunk Badgeman Book Reviewer

Hi E. Good luck with your goals. Pls bear in mind that however committed you are to the RNR/URNU, they will have seen you for only about 6 weeks to date, and they have a high student turnover, so the chances are that they have lost sight of you given a busy schedule. They are only a small unit of regulars. NS is right - if you start quoting regulations with less than 2 months on the books, you're not winning any hearts and minds.

Go for the formal request route, and be ready to get your suit out and to look the CO in the eye and explain why you left. You're right, the URNU is better-tailored to student life so this sounds like unfinished business which you need to grip.