Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Rejoining the RN

JKelso

Midshipman
I voluntarily left the RN in 2010, had just completed Phase 1 training but I felt that I wasn’t quite mature enough at the time to commit long-term... I am now looking at rejoining, I have passed the RT and eye test, but my AFCO have specifically asked for my discharge certificate as they cannot process my application without it.

I was advised to send off the SAR form to request a copy of my discharge certificate but I have not had a reply or an acknowledgement email. I’ve turned the house upside-down searching for it and found practically everything but that - certificate of training, pay slips, etc.

Reading through some old threads, I read that duplicate certificates cannot be issued. Would my previous service number or my certificate of training be sufficient?

Last edited:
Ring your AFCO and explain the situation tell them what you have and see what suggestions they come up with/.

I am now looking at rejoining,

Call me ‘Mr Pedantic’ but rejoining is something that officers and ratings who have retired or otherwise moved on having put some time in do. They return to active service. What you seek is to start again from scratch or near as.

Good luck.

Call me ‘Mr Pedantic’ but rejoining is something that officers and ratings who have retired or otherwise moved on having put some time in do. They return to active service.
Point taken. But I’m not sure why someone who is retired (and has ceased to work) would then decide to return to active service.

Point taken. But I’m not sure why someone who is retired (and has ceased to work) would then decide to return to active service.

One can be retired from the Service and still be 20 and more years from (civilian) retirement. Not so long ago officers could retire on pension at 37, ratings at 40. Few ‘ceased working’.

Some don’t return to active service on their own volition, some are recalled.

I’ve told a dit in these pages of a very old Commander who was recalled, straight out of ‘The Cruel Sea.’ Turned out to be a name mix up but ‘old Sir’ stayed and loved it.