Rejoining Navy

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by michael_bulldog, Jun 11, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I reapplied to the Royal Navy in April and was advised of a 2-3 month waiting time.

At the moment, I'm waiting for CNR Permission to Process/ Proceed and apparently from then on it will all be plain sailing.

I have a good record of conduct so there shouldn't be any problems. Does anyone know how long Permission to Process can take to be sorted out, or if there is anyone from CNR that can be contacted to chase it up?

2. Your AFCO is the best place. They will do all the chasing up that is required. CNR wouldn't take kindly to you contacting them.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I'm 46, the RNFT would prob kill me, never worked on any aircraft currently in service.

Could I join back up just for the social side?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Which bit of two to three months is causing confusion Mike?

• Like Like x 3
  5. well that would mean Raleigh end of June, no? And I'm guessing that won't happen.

6. Have you seen the movie "Stripes"??

Sqn's always need a good social sec. There's the annual bimble to organise, rugby, footy, cricket, its a knockout, joining do's, leaving do's, bop night, sundowners....

7. Ninja_Stoker

Generally it takes about four weeks to retrieve your former service medical records and between four to eight weeks after that to gain approval to process (ATP)ie: two to three months. The ATP letter will outline under which conditions you will be permitted to rejoin and which elements of selection need to be completed.

Assuming you are rejoining as a fully trained rating/officer in your original branch & have been outside more than one month but less than 5 years, you'll probably then need to be interviewed, undergo medical, complete the PJFT and then gain Security Clearance. After that an entry date is requested together with final Approval to Enter. If joining the RN, there's usually one entry a month (first Tues) at Raleigh where you'll join, fully suited & booted to be issued your kit, respirator, undertake the RNFT, RNST, weapons test, sign-on, complete admin, then go weekenders. After that you'll undertake any refresher training (including ISSC) required, then be top of the sea roster in your branch/rate.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cheers for the info. Just gotta wait now.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dear Uncle Ninja,

I am nearly 52 and was made redundant in 1993, but done good and learned lots of new skills since leaving the service that may be of benefit were I allowed to re-join.

I note that the Metropolitan Police Superintendent Direct Entry scheme is designed to inject new skills and thinking into the police and are entertaining applicants up to the age of 57, to become operational officers. Part of the entry requirements will include performing a full fitness test, including the "beep" test, etc.

In the light of this opportunity, I was wondering whether their Lordships might be minded to consider injecting (or in my case, re-circulating) some fresh blood suitably far up the food chain, possibly at the Commander/Captain level; if so, where can I apply?

Kisses

Der Alte

10. Ninja_Stoker

You can of course genuinely apply for the RFA, but the level at which you join will be governed on academic criteria, over practical ability, experience & knowledge.

The RN is "age discrimination exempt" if it can prove that age is critically important for the job. Interestingly, no matter the job, all RN personnel, including the Naval Careers Service (non-seagoing, war-dodgers) must retire age 55 whereas there are FTRS posts in the Army & RAF that do not retire until age 60.

Former service personnel, who've been "outside" for more than 5 years are in the peculiar position of becoming an "untrained re-entrant" so in the unlikely event the mob had a three year job for you, they would want to re-train you rather than embrace your additional skills & experience and put them to good use.

Kisses back at ya.

N_S.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I have to say, I was very surprised to see the advert for the Met and did question what their retirement policy and return of service would be if they are recruiting up to age 57!

Love you too!

12. The mob are desperate for ex LCH +CH's to join back up. TL has put a message out on FB telling those that are interested to contact him.

Thanks but no thanks :)

13. Ninja_Stoker

Oh go on then......

Since no-one has asked the obvious for more than an hour; Did you pass the course? :toothy3:

(Must say I'm rather disappointed by other users not having mentioned this sooner.)

• Like Like x 1

14. Of course not. No-one has!:chef:

• Like Like x 2
  15. The dough boy on lusty who gave ravioli and sprouts as the only choice for night flyers didn't!

"If you don't like it woo, don't eat it"!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014