Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rejoining Navy

I reapplied to the Royal Navy in April and was advised of a 2-3 month waiting time.

At the moment, I'm waiting for CNR Permission to Process/ Proceed and apparently from then on it will all be plain sailing.

I have a good record of conduct so there shouldn't be any problems. Does anyone know how long Permission to Process can take to be sorted out, or if there is anyone from CNR that can be contacted to chase it up?

Drakey

War Hero
Your AFCO is the best place. They will do all the chasing up that is required. CNR wouldn't take kindly to you contacting them.

Last edited:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I reapplied to the Royal Navy in April and was advised of a 2-3 month waiting time.

At the moment, I'm waiting for CNR Permission to Process/ Proceed and apparently from then on it will all be plain sailing.

I have a good record of conduct so there shouldn't be any problems. Does anyone know how long Permission to Process can take to be sorted out, or if there is anyone from CNR that can be contacted to chase it up?
Which bit of two to three months is causing confusion Mike?

Ships_Cat

War Hero
I'm 46, the RNFT would prob kill me, never worked on any aircraft currently in service.

Could I join back up just for the social side?

Have you seen the movie "Stripes"??

Sqn's always need a good social sec. There's the annual bimble to organise, rugby, footy, cricket, its a knockout, joining do's, leaving do's, bop night, sundowners....

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
well that would mean Raleigh end of June, no? And I'm guessing that won't happen.
Generally it takes about four weeks to retrieve your former service medical records and between four to eight weeks after that to gain approval to process (ATP)ie: two to three months. The ATP letter will outline under which conditions you will be permitted to rejoin and which elements of selection need to be completed.

Assuming you are rejoining as a fully trained rating/officer in your original branch & have been outside more than one month but less than 5 years, you'll probably then need to be interviewed, undergo medical, complete the PJFT and then gain Security Clearance. After that an entry date is requested together with final Approval to Enter. If joining the RN, there's usually one entry a month (first Tues) at Raleigh where you'll join, fully suited & booted to be issued your kit, respirator, undertake the RNFT, RNST, weapons test, sign-on, complete admin, then go weekenders. After that you'll undertake any refresher training (including ISSC) required, then be top of the sea roster in your branch/rate.

Der Alte

Badgeman
Dear Uncle Ninja,

I am nearly 52 and was made redundant in 1993, but done good and learned lots of new skills since leaving the service that may be of benefit were I allowed to re-join.

I note that the Metropolitan Police Superintendent Direct Entry scheme is designed to inject new skills and thinking into the police and are entertaining applicants up to the age of 57, to become operational officers. Part of the entry requirements will include performing a full fitness test, including the "beep" test, etc.

In the light of this opportunity, I was wondering whether their Lordships might be minded to consider injecting (or in my case, re-circulating) some fresh blood suitably far up the food chain, possibly at the Commander/Captain level; if so, where can I apply?

Kisses

Der Alte

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Dear Uncle Ninja,

I am nearly 52 and was made redundant in 1993, but done good and learned lots of new skills since leaving the service that may be of benefit were I allowed to re-join.

I note that the Metropolitan Police Superintendent Direct Entry scheme is designed to inject new skills and thinking into the police and are entertaining applicants up to the age of 57, to become operational officers. Part of the entry requirements will include performing a full fitness test, including the "beep" test, etc.

In the light of this opportunity, I was wondering whether their Lordships might be minded to consider injecting (or in my case, re-circulating) some fresh blood suitably far up the food chain, possibly at the Commander/Captain level; if so, where can I apply?

Kisses

Der Alte
You can of course genuinely apply for the RFA, but the level at which you join will be governed on academic criteria, over practical ability, experience & knowledge.

The RN is "age discrimination exempt" if it can prove that age is critically important for the job. Interestingly, no matter the job, all RN personnel, including the Naval Careers Service (non-seagoing, war-dodgers) must retire age 55 whereas there are FTRS posts in the Army & RAF that do not retire until age 60.

Former service personnel, who've been "outside" for more than 5 years are in the peculiar position of becoming an "untrained re-entrant" so in the unlikely event the mob had a three year job for you, they would want to re-train you rather than embrace your additional skills & experience and put them to good use.

Kisses back at ya.

N_S.

Der Alte

Badgeman
I have to say, I was very surprised to see the advert for the Met and did question what their retirement policy and return of service would be if they are recruiting up to age 57!

Love you too!

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
The mob are desperate for ex LCH +CH's to join back up. TL has put a message out on FB telling those that are interested to contact him.

Thanks but no thanks :)

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The mob are desperate for ex LCH +CH's to join back up. TL has put a message out on FB telling those that are interested to contact him.

Thanks but no thanks :)
Oh go on then......

Since no-one has asked the obvious for more than an hour; Did you pass the course? :toothy3:

(Must say I'm rather disappointed by other users not having mentioned this sooner.)

The dough boy on lusty who gave ravioli and sprouts as the only choice for night flyers didn't!

"If you don't like it woo, don't eat it"!

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Rejoining the Royal Navy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
M Rejoining the Royal Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
duggers20 rejoining the Navy as a diver Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
O Rejoining Checks Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
S Medical- Rejoining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
H Rejoining- recruit test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
L Medically discharged at Raleigh - chances of rejoining? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Matthew Rejoining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
JKelso Rejoining the RN Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
L Rejoining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Matthew Rejoining Joining the Royal Navy 8
Matthew Rejoining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
T Ex WE thinking about rejoining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
T Rejoining the RN Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
A Rejoining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Overandout Help on rejoining RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
I Rejoining... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
A Rejoining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
S Rejoining the RNR (ex reserve) Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 8
muskovardo Will this stop me rejoining? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
D Rejoining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
E Rejoining the URNU SCC and URNU 4
O Rejoining after DUDT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
S Rejoining RN with a P8 Medcat Health & Fitness 2
C Seriously considering rejoining the mighty RN Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
J Rejoining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
A Rejoining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
M thinking of rejoining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
Ninja_Stoker Former Service: Transfering to or rejoining RN/RM Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
F Rejoining RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 13
W REJOINING THE CORPS The Corps 5
creddly So are ex-service personnel rejoining known? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
H Rejoining The Corps 4
C Rejoining BRNC after Voluntary Withdrawal From Training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
U Rejoining and CIS Branch Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 12
U Rejoining and CIS Branch Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 1
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seizes over 450kg in the largest methamphetamine drug bust in the Middle East MoD News 0
soleil FB: National Museum Of The Royal Navy: 215th Anniversary Of The Battle Of Trafalgar History 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity - Hosting Your Own Trafalgar Night/Pickle Night Dinner History 2
soleil Express: "Submarine Sparks Panic In Scotland As Onlookers Mistake Royal Navy Exercise For Fire" Submariners 2
sampost Jubilee Sailing Trust announces pioneering collaboration with the Royal Navy Sports and Adventure Training 2
soleil Royal Navy Recipients In The Queen's Birthday Honours List 2020 Current Affairs 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity: World Uckers Championship 2020 The Fleet 1
soleil The Times: "Life On The Ocean Wave: The Royal Navy Photographic Awards" The Fleet 1
soleil BBC: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: On board The Royal Navy's New Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seize £160 million worth of drugs in the Caribbean MoD News 1
higthepig Navy news September 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
soleil NWE Mail: "Barrow Built Submarine Becomes Inaugural Winner Of A New Royal Navy Commendation" Submariners 2
soleil New Badge For Trainee Royal Navy Submariners Submariners 18
M Royal Navy interviews Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1